***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Another issue with Denuvo and this game - apparently locks you out for 24 hours if you make more than 5 hardware changes, not including GPU. (Though not unusual with Denuvo and other games/DRM have similar) but some people are seeing it triggered from mundane hardware changes even sometimes removable storage, etc.

I've not really been playing/buying games much lately but I think I'm going to go back to boycotting games which use DRM/copy protection like this - even though I understand the need to protect sales, etc. ultimately it is just ******** on the regular customers while sooner or later the pirates get around it.

Last edited:
I was getting a little bored running from person to person in the castle maybe it's just because it's the start ? I've not had to sneak around down below the castle and it's getting a bit more interesting. It's a shame I always happen to start playing the game when I'm about to crash out and fall asleep.

So I've completed this, somewhere a bit under 40 hours played time, a fair bit of just messing about and exploring.

I've put my pros and cons into a spoiler tag below, as I don't want to spoil for anyone:

There are a lot more Cons than Pros listed, but on the whole I still really enjoyed Hogwarts Legacy and have no regrets, it's taken me a couple of weeks to get through this on and off, but I've had a lot of fun.

I'm not even going into Performance stuff here. For me after some tuning I got it to work pretty well in the end.

Pros:
  • Amazing atmosphere they've created with the environments, and it's a lot of fun exploring Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in particular.
  • Attention to detail is great, I can tell the team put a lot of care into creating a world that doesn't just look great but reveals more the more you look around.
  • Combat is fun, if a little easy.
  • Using spells is quite a unique thing compared with a lot of games lately, and the fact a lot of them are nostaglic from the films and canon to the lore of Harry Potter is even better. Wingardium LeviosA!
  • Great OST
Cons:
  • I wish there was more branching storylines to explore, or at least a few core paths that play differently to give you some replayability.
  • You can't truly become a dark wizard like I wanted to. You can pick a darker ending but afterwards it's like nothing changes.
  • Speaking of, I'm sat there casually casting dark magic in front of everyone who'll watch, and despite a few off-hand comments the NPC's make, there is no penalty to doing so.
  • Relationships with side characters don't seem to matter much, I'd like a good RPG style thing where you can increase or decrease this depending on choices you make, perhaps with some possibilty to totally wreck a relationship if you try hard enough.
  • Wish there was more characters to interact with on a regular basis for storyline elements or major quests.
  • The classroom stuff seems very much a secondary thing to the off-campus exploring. Days don't matter, and neither do the classes you can take.
  • The house you pick essentially doesn't matter.
  • There is a concept of time of day (day and night) but there appears to be no in-game clock telling you what the actual time is.
  • Learning spells gives you a tedious mini-game that isn't fun and you can't really ever fail it.
  • Some of the repeating dialogue is annoying, for example using the room of requirements and Deek keeps telling me he's proud of me for brewing potions, even when I hadn't made any. I was wondering if he was being passive-aggressive.
  • Personally I hated the Pokemon mini game where you have to collect beasts, and to care for them to upgrade gear. I ignored this as much as possible.
  • Gear upgrades feel kind of minor and managing the inventory is annoying, running out of gear slots is very easy requiring you to constantly destroy or sell gear.
  • Room of Requirements was a good concept but it was too easy to max out the benefit of it very quickly, and forcing you to go back every 10-15 mins to harvest stuff was a little much sometimes. Would be good if this was expanded upon somehow.

So I've completed this, somewhere a bit under 40 hours played time, a fair bit of just messing about and exploring.

I've put my pros and cons into a spoiler tag below, as I don't want to spoil for anyone:

There are a lot more Cons than Pros listed, but on the whole I still really enjoyed Hogwarts Legacy and have no regrets, it's taken me a couple of weeks to get through this on and off, but I've had a lot of fun.

I'm not even going into Performance stuff here. For me after some tuning I got it to work pretty well in the end.

Pros:
  • Amazing atmosphere they've created with the environments, and it's a lot of fun exploring Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in particular.
  • Attention to detail is great, I can tell the team put a lot of care into creating a world that doesn't just look great but reveals more the more you look around.
  • Combat is fun, if a little easy.
  • Using spells is quite a unique thing compared with a lot of games lately, and the fact a lot of them are nostaglic from the films and canon to the lore of Harry Potter is even better. Wingardium LeviosA!
  • Great OST
Cons:
  • I wish there was more branching storylines to explore, or at least a few core paths that play differently to give you some replayability.
  • You can't truly become a dark wizard like I wanted to. You can pick a darker ending but afterwards it's like nothing changes.
  • Speaking of, I'm sat there casually casting dark magic in front of everyone who'll watch, and despite a few off-hand comments the NPC's make, there is no penalty to doing so.
  • Relationships with side characters don't seem to matter much, I'd like a good RPG style thing where you can increase or decrease this depending on choices you make, perhaps with some possibilty to totally wreck a relationship if you try hard enough.
  • Wish there was more characters to interact with on a regular basis for storyline elements or major quests.
  • The classroom stuff seems very much a secondary thing to the off-campus exploring. Days don't matter, and neither do the classes you can take.
  • The house you pick essentially doesn't matter.
  • There is a concept of time of day (day and night) but there appears to be no in-game clock telling you what the actual time is.
  • Learning spells gives you a tedious mini-game that isn't fun and you can't really ever fail it.
  • Some of the repeating dialogue is annoying, for example using the room of requirements and Deek keeps telling me he's proud of me for brewing potions, even when I hadn't made any. I was wondering if he was being passive-aggressive.
  • Personally I hated the Pokemon mini game where you have to collect beasts, and to care for them to upgrade gear. I ignored this as much as possible.
  • Gear upgrades feel kind of minor and managing the inventory is annoying, running out of gear slots is very easy requiring you to constantly destroy or sell gear.
  • Room of Requirements was a good concept but it was too easy to max out the benefit of it very quickly, and forcing you to go back every 10-15 mins to harvest stuff was a little much sometimes. Would be good if this was expanded upon somehow.

Cool. Will check it out next week, should have it complete by then myself :)

Another issue with Denuvo and this game - apparently locks you out for 24 hours if you make more than 5 hardware changes, not including GPU. (Though not unusual with Denuvo and other games/DRM have similar) but some people are seeing it triggered from mundane hardware changes even sometimes removable storage, etc.

I've not really been playing/buying games much lately but I think I'm going to go back to boycotting games which use DRM/copy protection like this - even though I understand the need to protect sales, etc. ultimately it is just ******** on the regular customers while sooner or later the pirates get around it.
I’m just about to do a hardware upgrade so hopefully I wont be affected by this but would be pretty annoyed if I was.

@ThundyCat Completed the second trail last night.

matthew-perry-happy-dance.gif

Guys, how the hell do you change the seed type you grow on the potting table? The minute you collect your plant, it starts to grow another. I’ve also tried to deconstruct the table, but it says it’s currently in use.

Back
Top Bottom