***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

I caved in and bought the game yesterday. Managed to get through the introduction scenes and to the school, then the game started crashing, mostly in the transition screens from one area to another. Now I seem to be stuck at the second class (charm I think it was) where you have to pull some big round boulders and get points. Once that scene is done and it transition back to the class room the game crashes, have done it 4 times now.

I have verified the integrity of the game files, turned of Steam and AMD overlay, set the game to 'Run this program as Administrator', Disable fullscreen optimization and even reinstalled the game, but still no luck ! :(

So was wondering if anyone here might have some advice ?
Have a look at your virtual memory size. Make sure it's automatic or 16+ gig.

Thanks I did try that too though. Was suggested to make it 1.5 times the RAM so did initial at 49152 and Maximum at 3 times the RAM, so at 98304. It still crashed when having the settings on Recommended which was all Ultra. But as mentioned above, everything on Low made it so I could continue and I have then moved some of the settings to high and was still going well earlier, part from 3 of them that is still on Low. Going to be playing some more later and then move those on High to Ultra, and if that works I slowly adjust the other 3 and see which one makes the game crash for me.

Ahh the sort of game I love to hate being a one who needs to hit every question mark. Now ending up as level 34 while main is on 10 :cry:.Loving making the potions and stuff, can make them really powerful it seems, love the thunderbrew.

Thanks I did try that too though. Was suggested to make it 1.5 times the RAM so did initial at 49152 and Maximum at 3 times the RAM, so at 98304. It still crashed when having the settings on Recommended which was all Ultra. But as mentioned above, everything on Low made it so I could continue and I have then moved some of the settings to high and was still going well earlier, part from 3 of them that is still on Low. Going to be playing some more later and then move those on High to Ultra, and if that works I slowly adjust the other 3 and see which one makes the game crash for me.

Would be curious to see how you get on. I picked up 32GB kit recently, only had 16 for a while and got rid of crash's entirely, even if I set page file to massive amount with the 16GB kit was still crashing. Was similar on transition screens. Oddly, when I got the game initially played fine for about 20 hours I played it, was a patch that dropped week or so after game out that caused the problems to show up.

Last edited:
I caved in and bought the game yesterday. Managed to get through the introduction scenes and to the school, then the game started crashing, mostly in the transition screens from one area to another. Now I seem to be stuck at the second class (charm I think it was) where you have to pull some big round boulders and get points. Once that scene is done and it transition back to the class room the game crashes, have done it 4 times now.

I have verified the integrity of the game files, turned of Steam and AMD overlay, set the game to 'Run this program as Administrator', Disable fullscreen optimization and even reinstalled the game, but still no luck ! :(

So was wondering if anyone here might have some advice ?
Clean install of GPU drivers ?

Ahh the sort of game I love to hate being a one who needs to hit every question mark. Now ending up as level 34 while main is on 10 :cry:.Loving making the potions and stuff, can make them really powerful it seems, love the thunderbrew.

Would be curious to see how you get on. I picked up 32GB kit recently, only had 16 for a while and got rid of crash's entirely, even if I set page file to massive amount with the 16GB kit was still crashing. Was similar on transition screens. Oddly, when I got the game initially played fine for about 20 hours I played it, was a patch that dropped week or so after game out that caused the problems to show up.

I did the same. Also made a made a bunch of potions but never used the attack ones in the end as was plenty OP as it was. Was too much fun using my wand :)

Clean install of GPU drivers ?

I did one on the previous driver install so didn't bother this time. So I thought why not. Used DDU and then installed drivers only and now played around an hour or so, everything on Ultra and no crashes yet ! So thanks for the suggestion, since it seems to be working. I am curious though if I would do a full install of the AMD software if that would interfere with the game or not. Hmmm might try that later, just to see. :p

Thanks again ! :D

I did one on the previous driver install so didn't bother this time. So I thought why not. Used DDU and then installed drivers only and now played around an hour or so, everything on Ultra and no crashes yet ! So thanks for the suggestion, since it seems to be working. I am curious though if I would do a full install of the AMD software if that would interfere with the game or not. Hmmm might try that later, just to see. :p

Thanks again ! :D

Clean install windows. You know it makes sense ;) :cry:

The game barely touched virtual memory on anything I've tried it on - around 300-400MB.

High settings without RT seem the best for the game - most stable and best looking for some reason. Some ultra settings improve visual quality on long distance objects but seems to come at a slight reduction in short range quality?!?

If you are getting crashing it is almost certainly system stability or a driver issue.

Game definitely plays better with 32GB RAM though - even when not near the limits - seems to stutter a lot less - it is probably managing memory use more aggressively on 16.

Last edited:
I do have a couple questions though. When do you learn how to make your own potions ? I noticed after my first two classes, there been no more yet.. guessing I have to advance the story for that to happen ? Also, lock-picking, when do I get to find out how to do that ? Plus, there is some 'jumping' chests with an eye on, those need a special spell to open or what ?? :p

Yes you need to progress into the story a bit to open the option to make potions. You can make them at the position table in potion class.

Use the disillusionment spell for the chests.

You need to approach them without the eyeball noticing you - the game doesn't spell it out - I only realised after a later mission with the doors.

Yes you need to progress into the story a bit to open the option to make potions. You can make them at the position table in potion class.

Use the disillusionment spell for the chests.
Ahh gotcha. Have not got that spell yet so guess just have to progress with the story then !

And go and buy some healing potions, only have two and the second duel fight against three opponents aint fun. Or explore and maybe find some in a unlocked chest again as I found some in one chest earlier.

Buy the wiggenweld recipe in the potion shop and the dittany leaves seeds from the Magic Neep in hogsmead. Also look for the blue mushrooms in the wild (usually in caves). Once you do the potion class quest you get access to a potion pot. You also need to do the plant quests to get access to the planting pot.

Later in the game you get an easier way of making potions and planting plants etc.

Last edited:
Buy the wiggenweld recipe in the potion shop and the dittany leaves seeds from the Magic Neep in hogsmead. Also look for the blue mushrooms in the wild (usually in caves). Once you do the potion class quest you get access to a potion pot. You also need to do the plant quests to get access to the planting pot.

Later in the game you get an easier way of making potions and planting plants etc.

Thanks for that, I will be doing that if I have enough coins ! :D

On another note, there is no sleeping in the game ? Can basically run through the night and it have no consequences ??

Reactions: TNA
I have to say this is one of the closest attempts at pulling off a hugely ambitious game and mostly nailing it - sure there is quite a lot of copy and paste stuff but it would exclude anyone not on a higher end RTX GPU and 32+GB of RAM otherwise. Sure the PC adaption could do with quite a bit of work, some [of the more interesting] missions could be longer and some of the more boring missions could be shorter, the mini-games don't really serve much purpose other than to add a bit of tediousness and the whole point of the spell learning game (wand movement) is kind of lost when you are concentrating on the button sequences LOL. Sadly the puzzles vary between basic and only hard because of being obscure - plenty of room for some decent puzzle gameplay in there and I'm kind of surprised they focused so much on combat vs having the options of approaching the game via different applications of combat or puzzles/thinking.

Personally only had one crash which froze the graphics but sound and background processes on the system were still running, which coincided with a barrel I threw hitting one of the skeleton things - at a guess it seemed like a mixture of a bug in DX12 and a bug in the game logic happening to coincide.

The game seems to run kind of poorly in conjunction with motherboard and/or laptop control centre type software - not entirely sure why but I think some of them maybe do a bit of telemetry stuff :( which doesn't mix well with the relatively intensive memory/file IO of the game possibly linking into Denuvo there I dunno - on 2 systems I've tried the game on I saw a vast improvement after uninstalling Gigabyte Control Centre - I've not had it impact performance on any other game.

Last edited:

I lowered the page file back to Initial size (MB) to 8192 and Maximum size (MB) to 32768 again. It all working fine now after a clean driver instal (used DDU to clean them out) and then I chose to just install AMD Drivers only and now played the game on all Ultra without any crashes for about 12 hours or so. Closed it down at 5am this morning ! :o

Although I see you using a nVidia GPU and not a AMD one. But if you still having crashes, maybe try a clean driver only install ? Unless of course you already done one ! :p

Back
Top Bottom