***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

For me RT does nothing if I'm being honest I'm more gripped by gameplay and a decent storyline.

I like it. Saying it does nothing for me is like saying Ultra quality does nothing for me, just play on Medium.

That said it does depend on the implementation. Some are just poor or don't add much or enough for the performance cost it asks, like Hogwarts for example.

Last edited:
I like it. Saying it does nothing for me is like saying Ultra quality does nothing for me, just play on Medium.

That said it does depend on the implementation. Some are just poor or don't add much or enough for the performance cost it asks, like Hogwarts for example.
atm i am on 1080 medium, using a 1660 super, boy has my 3060ti. but RT never interested me, im not one for drooling over graphics, them days are long gone, gimme good gameplay anyday to be fair. for me hogwarts looks nice even at medium, yes obviously i could use FSR to boost, but rather play as it is. even if it means playing at medium. just call me old fashioned :D

Agreed, it makes a world of difference with proper implementation like in CP or DL2 for example (though with the latter, it's more that non-RT lightning was half-assed as CP looks good even without RT).

I don't have the grunt for it currently so I'm keeping certain games for when I upgrade the GPU. The ones that don't do RT too well I can just play on console as it's whatever as long as I get 60fps and decent IQ but these select few games I'd rather experience on PC with proper RT.

Last edited:
atm i am on 1080 medium, using a 1660 super, boy has my 3060ti. but RT never interested me, im not one for drooling over graphics, them days are long gone, gimme good gameplay anyday to be fair. for me hogwarts looks nice even at medium, yes obviously i could use FSR to boost, but rather play as it is. even if it means playing at medium. just call me old fashioned :D

You sir are old fashioned :p

I absolutely agree though, gameplay and story are way more important. But I do like my graphics :D

I am sure a no spider mod will come along at some point
Theres a mod that replaces them with boxes!

For me RT does nothing if I'm being honest I'm more gripped by gameplay and a decent storyline.

They broke it badly with the last update 0.45 onward:
don't update if it matters to you. Now I wonder how you downgrade...

FSR had significantly worse image stability when I tried it even though some stuff looks a little sharper. Aside from some rare trails and occasionally thin distant objects flickering I found DLSS worked fairly well albeit still slightly softer than native.
Its fine on my XTX...

Last edited:
I've completed this game and while I did enjoy it, the performance issues make me not want to play it again.

As soon as I start it begins to stutter and only after about 15 minutes does it start to calm down. I've tried every fix out there but it doesn't change anything. I think I'll probably wait for the game to get patched again before trying it out.

It's such a shame because the game itself is pretty good!

Reactions: TNA
I've completed this game and while I did enjoy it, the performance issues make me not want to play it again.

As soon as I start it begins to stutter and only after about 15 minutes does it start to calm down. I've tried every fix out there but it doesn't change anything. I think I'll probably wait for the game to get patched again before trying it out.

What I did was turn off all RT and cap it to 60fps. That made the game smooth enough for me personally. But yeah, they need to work on fixing it as Hogmeade for example needs a lot more performance compared to anywhere else.

What system specs and settings?

I find anything other than high with RT off or low if you are on a older system does more harm than good.

What I did was turn off all RT and cap it to 60fps. That made the game smooth enough for me personally. But yeah, they need to work on fixing it as Hogmeade for example needs a lot more performance compared to anywhere else.
Yup I did that too, it definitely improved but still doesn't eliminate it altogether. Like I said it's ok once the game has been running for about 10 - 15 minutes, but initially it's very janky.
What system specs and settings?

I find anything other than high with RT off or low if you are on a older system does more harm than good.
I'm using an overclocked 8700k, 16gb ram and a 3080ti. I can run pretty much every other game on max settings, it's only this game that is an issue.

The settings are mostly on high, but yeah it's only few minutes when I get a load of stuttering.

Reactions: TNA
I'm using an overclocked 8700k, 16gb ram and a 3080ti. I can run pretty much every other game on max settings, it's only this game that is an issue.

The settings are mostly on high, but yeah it's only few minutes when I get a load of stuttering.

Probably the 16GB RAM - I've not played it extensively on my other systems but it runs much much smoother on my laptop (3070 mobile) with 32GB RAM than my 16GB desktop systems (3070 desktop). So I've been playing it on my laptop.

With 16GB of RAM, the game will runaway with active RAM use as it has unreasonable RAM usage in practice. As mentioned before I have 64GB of RAM, and the game will use 18GB+ of RAM all on its own. That's not because "if you have more RAM, a game will use more RAM" like some seem to think, this is an issue with this game specifically. No other game uses more than say 6GB of RAM. You know something is up when the game you are playing uses more system RAM than VRAM when no other game has this quirk.

32GB of RAM is the minimum for this game when using any reasonable resolution and GFX settings. When you also factor in system RAM usage by the OS and background apps etc, you are basically left with no RAM left for normal running of the game and OS and disk paging has to be done which will result in performance degrade, even if the pagefile is on an SSD.

If it was at 4K with Ultra and stuff then sure this could be acceptable, but it happens at any res with Hogwarts. It's poorly optimised for resource usage.

Last edited:
Yup I did that too, it definitely improved but still doesn't eliminate it altogether. Like I said it's ok once the game has been running for about 10 - 15 minutes, but initially it's very janky.

Have broadly similar, 9900k and 3090 on 4k oled. Before had 16GB of ram and had issues, but picked up a 32GB kit and all largely went away, very smooth now. That is with most things on Ultra, no RT and I DLSS on Quality. Very smooth. Only place it has dips under 60 is in the Dark arts tower.

Pc gaming for me was never about compromise. I want the best graphics possible otherwise I'd stick with a console.

Sadly the best graphics possible in this game is a bit of a complexity - in some scenes high settings even looks better than ultra :s

Sadly the best graphics possible in this game is a bit of a complexity - in some scenes high settings even looks better than ultra :s

I've not actually tried anything other than ultra, biggest leap for me was playing it on 4k instead of uwqhd. Also RT seems to add some weird artifacts and lighting anomalies.

I'm not a fan of the GeForce Experience stuff but the game filters with the detail setting and slightly backing off the sharpening really brings out the architectural detailing in the game and adds some punch in areas which are a bit lacking in contrast.

Alright, got a question for you that completed the game. In the spoiler just to be safe.

The door infront of me there that's light up in blue, is that for a quest later on ?? Asking because every time I scan Hogsmeade it lights up but I can't seem to get in there, so presuming it is for a later quest, or a bug ?!

UQqhdwT.jpg

Alright, got a question for you that completed the game. In the spoiler just to be safe.

The door infront of me there that's light up in blue, is that for a quest later on ?? Asking because every time I scan Hogsmeade it lights up but I can't seem to get in there, so presuming it is for a later quest, or a bug ?!

UQqhdwT.jpg

Kind of hard to remember such a thing to be honest. Does it have a lock on it? If not then could be a quest later on, not that I would remember, so many bloody side quests :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom