***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

It's weird that people will happily play games fighting zombies, all kinds of scary monsters etc but can't face an ingame spider or snake even though it's not real.

My grandkids have a mother who has screaming fits if she sees a tiny spider and the children automatically followed suit, I've finally managed to show the kids they are completely harmless in the UK.

It's weird that people will happily play games fighting zombies, all kinds of scary monsters etc but can't face an ingame spider or snake even though it's not real.

My grandkids have a mother who has screaming fits if she sees a tiny spider and the children automatically followed suit, I've finally managed to show the kids they are completely harmless in the UK.

Think about it this way though, I don't think a kid has ever had a zombie or monster running across the floor and scaring them in their room.

I get what you are saying though, I am terrible with spiders (not enough to not play games with them) I know they are harmless so logically I Shouldn't be scared of them but I cannot help it, this is why it's called a phobia, it is irrational after all :)

Last edited:
Fear is learned behaviour. All living beings are born with no fear.

Don't think it is that simple.

My sister has an irrational phobia of dogs, my dad love dogs my mum doesn't like them much but doesn't have a fear of them - my sister from the first moment of encountering a dog was screaming in a corner.

It really is that simple. It means at some point in her early childhood she encountered a core memory incident that then forever brought about a fear of dogs. It could have been as simple a thing as a dog randomly barked as she was being strolled by one day out on the street as a toddler or baby, the brian registers these events and a core memory is cemented in the brain forever creating neural pathways to then trigger that as irrational fear the next time a dog is nearby. Heck even later introducing to a dog and showing that actually, it's nothing to be feared would be enough to remove the previously registered trigger. At a young age an action of comforting with the physical trigger in front of them can help remove that fear as the pathways re-route to release different chemicals in the brain instead of the ones that cause fear.

Had she been gently introduced to dogs before such an event, then the barking would have been normalised in her brain and no trigger response as fear registered.

It's a combination of human psychology and biology.

We do it with things as adults all the time, first impressions of everything new we encounter are the baseline of that exact principle in psychology.

Last edited:
Finally completed this. Really fun game, got 70% completion, which is about par for the course for me. Thought the PC port was really good tbh, played without RT at 4k Quality DLSS. Not really maxing the GPU but it was the smoothest setting compared to native 4K or the crappy RT.
I don't play that much open world, so some of the slightly tired conventions it might have used probably weren't so obvious to me. I had some colourblind issues with the spell colour coding (not helped by any of the colourblind modes). I never could distinguish anything apart from the blue with confidence.
But i pushed through with the 'Maxima' potion & a lot of spamming.

I don't play that much open world, so some of the slightly tired conventions it might have used probably weren't so obvious to me. I had some colourblind issues with the spell colour coding (not helped by any of the colourblind modes). I never could distinguish anything apart from the blue with confidence.

Aside from some of the boss encounters and I think the first little tournament bit you can use curses to bypass a lot of the colour matching stuff. I'm not colour blind but it was a mechanic I thought a bit limiting as it kind of forced you to play a certain way somewhat whereas half the fun with open world and RPG games like this is developing your own approach to stuff.

Aside from some of the boss encounters and I think the first little tournament bit you can use curses to bypass a lot of the colour matching stuff. I'm not colour blind but it was a mechanic I thought a bit limiting as it kind of forced you to play a certain way somewhat whereas half the fun with open world and RPG games like this is developing your own approach to stuff.
Yeah, the Maxima potion lets you break through any colour shield, as does throwing items with 'z'. I would still get it wrong occasionally, especially between the fire & one of the other ones. But had enough items & rolled around like a madman (never used the block much). Which allowed me to get though it.
The worst by a long, long way was the last 'crossed wands' mission - but it came early & once you take down one of them, it gets easier. I must admit, I let Natty take care of it a fair bit & take a few of the hits for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Maxima potion lets you break through any colour shield, as does throwing items with 'z'. I would still get it wrong occasionally, especially between the fire & one of the other ones. But had enough items & rolled around like a madman (never used the block much). Which allowed me to get though it.

I found protego and the dodge a bit much on PC - if I don't play for awhile I keep hitting the wrong one initially LOL - fortunately in most cases dodging will also avoid most spells except a small number of direct ones (though you then miss the combinations).

Last edited:
I found protego and the dodge a bit much on PC - if I don't play for awhile I keep hitting the wrong one initially LOL - fortunately in most cases dodging will also avoid most spells except a small number of direct ones (though you then miss the combinations).
There are quite a few bonus abilities for succesful blocks that you can unlock. But I bought the super roll early & just got into using that all the time. I suspect I would have been better to focus on learning the block instead. I also propelled myself of a cliff to my death on occasion with the super roll.

Although I love spiders and frequently rescue them from the wash basin etc I tried the Arachnophobia setting and nearly fell on the floor laughing :cry: instead of spiders you get a red or purple balloon with 4 floating boots on roller skates that follow them around but can't keep up with the body,:p:p:p they actually seemed harder to kill as well

Last edited:
I dunno how substantial the changes are but nice to see the developers are continuing to patch fixes, etc. for this and other improvements albeit I think they could still do more to improve PC adaption and there is at least some attempt to listen to user feedback when it comes to issues with the game even if a bit hands off.

Would be nice to see some decent plans for content updates though.

Nice to see? :p It should never have released in that state! They've been forced to patch it as a result.

Hah was wondering if someone would post from that perspective either seriously or tongue in cheek.

Though the game launched in slightly less than ideal shape it wasn't that bad aside from some save game glitches and some optimisations lacking - a lot of which came down to a poor ray tracing implementation. Far too many developers/publishers just ignore problems and run a mile rather than take onboard any player feedback these days.

It wasn't just RT though remember, The high preset looked far better than the Ultra preset! And the traversal stuttering remained horrendous (it still is there iirc).

It wasn't just RT though remember, The high preset looked far better than the Ultra preset! And the traversal stuttering remained horrendous (it still is there iirc).

High settings with a couple of ultra (like clouds) still looked better than all ultra :s and traversal stuttering still isn't 100% fixed - some patches seem better for it than others as well I think because they are trying to balance between memory use and performance so bouncing off different issues - the older patches actually perform better on my 32GB RAM system than the newer ones while it is the other way around for people with 16GB or less.

Back
Top Bottom