US: House of Cards

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yup I don't think we saw anything much from season 1/2 which made house cards the show it was, season 3 was a departure and different style it just did not work.

They should end it with the underwoods attacking each other killing each other off in a 2 parter special..... just to give it closure if it don't get renewed not missing much either.

Associate
I think this might be the fastest I've seen a show go downhill since Heroes. There were flashes of what made the previous seasons great but nothing else.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Think its been roughly the same episode amount wise, but this was a complete u-turn of characters, plots and twist, spacey was excellent and so were the others acting wise but season 3 lacked anything that made the show great.

Id be surprised in season 4 gets green lit they should just do a 2 parter special and have his entire past catch up with him and give him closure, both him and his wife lying in the white house presidential suite floor with hands around each others throats in a pool of blood dead.

Associate
Just finished season 3.

As seems to be the general consensus - I thought the season was a let down. It was still decent and the acting great as usual but as far as developing the story goes it just did not achieve what it should have. The whole thing with Claire was just stupid.....

Although it wasn't as good as season1 and 2, people are mega overreacting in this thread. Saying it should be wrapped up in a 2 part episode next season and saying it will be a surprise if the next season gets the go ahead is ridiculous. Even with the season being a let down, it's one of the best things on TV.

Soldato
Looks like I'm on my lonesome when I say I enjoyed season 3. Maybe it would have been better holding off till next year, season 4, for Underwood to become president to tie it in better with the actual election dates, but overall I still liked it.

Associate
He hasn't won the election yet. He's only won Iowa. Next season will therefore be accurate to when he wins/ loses in 2016.

Associate
Looks like I'm on my lonesome when I say I enjoyed season 3. Maybe it would have been better holding off till next year, season 4, for Underwood to become president to tie it in better with the actual election dates, but overall I still liked it.

Well I just finished watching S3, and I loved it - just as much as the other seasons.

What I loved

1. The foreshadowed and impending massive fall from grace for Heather Dunbar. She started off as a holier-than-thou principled character, and she is quickly descending to Frank & Claire's level, and you know Frank will win that game.

2. Franks massive backstabbing of Jackie Sharpe, I nearly fell out of my chair during the debate, that was an amazing Frank Underwood moment, and the acting was so good you could see Jackie's heart break on camera!

3. The Underwoods fallibility this season. Claire was clearly out of her depth as UN Ambassador. They were both easily manipulated by the Russians. Claire was incompetent and had nothing left, resulting in a semi breakdown for her. Her character fell a long way this season. Frank made a good point about their being "one chair" in the Oval office, and if Claire wasn't happy about it, she should have mentioned it a long time ago.

4. "America Works" is clearly an insanely unworkable scheme, and yet as a political weapon it serves Frank Underwood perfectly. I love how his character is so shrewd in some areas (political manouvering), and so awful in others (domestic and foreign policy). AW turns out to be a political tool to get him re-elected, and very few people on the show seem to point out to Frank that it is in principle, ludicrous. (The one guy who did got fired!)
What I didn't love

1. Claire's breakdown and accusation at the Russian President over the whole Corrigan thing. I suppose on reflection it was a sign of things to come, but at the time it seemed out of character for her. I was accustomed to a cold character even more ruthless than Frank (remember when she threatened to withold health care for that pregnant woman in S2?).

It was the first time she undermined them both as a "team" for the sake of her own conscience.

2. The book thing did not end satisfactorily. I have a hope this will conclude properly in the next season.

3. I didn't buy the whole covert operation in the Jordan Valley. It wasn't believeable for me that such an operation would be approved under the circumstances provided. A weak point in the writing IMO in what is an otherwise peerlessly written show.
It is clearly an interim season, but if there is a better written show on TV I don't know it.

My favorite quote:

"I am the best Foreign Policy Analyst in the Country. The second best is me - in a coma." (Or words to that effect). Classic.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I think we just wanted to see frank kill someone.....

But your points are great and can see while this season was different it had its good and bad moments.

Soldato
Only just finished S3 and over all disappointed. Some good points in this thread though, it wasn't a bad season, just not as good as the amazing first two.

I tend not to like a season that is clearly just half of the real story. Lots of loose ends still.

Soldato
Only just finished S3 and over all disappointed. Some good points in this thread though, it wasn't a bad season, just not as good as the amazing first two.

I tend not to like a season that is clearly just half of the real story. Lots of loose ends still.

I'd have to agree with this tbh!

The thing that has disappointed me is the speed at which Frank has gone from Whip to President - I'd have liked a lot more build up to his "ultimate prize"!

Season 3 was interesting in places but ultimately pointless as we saw nothing of the plotting and twisting that made the first 2 seasons what they were!

Back
Top Bottom