• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: How do you game? Upscaling or native? (updated poll choices - 24/12, revote!)

How do you game?

• Total voters
Soldato
He won't be able to as he has an amd gpu :p

As for thread results, I'm not overly surprised tbf given how this thread went i.e. power efficiency was the most important factor during rdna 2/ampere time yet here we are with ada and rdna 3..... :p ;) So much like that other thread I would say a large part of it is with people having a preference for amd/amd gpu owners voting native and also because as evidenced, FSR is never as good as native let alone better, much like myself, I would never use FSR and instead reduce settings thus native would also be getting my vote here.

Also, having read through all the posts, I've noticed it's mostly amd gpu users posting native so I probably should have done a better poll in terms of something like:

Native (AMD gpu owner)
Native (Nvidia GPU owner)
Native (Intel GPU owner)

DLSS

FSR (AMD gpu owner)
FSR (Nvidia GPU owner)
FSR (Intel GPU owner)

So I'll change the poll which would give a better insight, it won't change the results in terms of native leading for what people "use the most" (remember not preference) but at least we can see where the majority is coming from.
Power efficiency give me a break. My last two cards are Vega 64 and a 7900xt so clearly my main priority was bang for buck. As is usually the case with people who buy AMD. AMD have been ahead on power efficiency for only one generation in a lot of years so clearly AMD buyers were not looking for power efficiency that was Nvidia users for years. The poll has spoken and you got your answer which is most prefer native but will use upscaling if forced to.

Caporegime
OP
Power efficiency give me a break. My last two cards are Vega 64 and a 7900xt so clearly my main priority was bang for buck. As is usually the case with people who buy AMD. AMD have been ahead on power efficiency for only one generation in a lot of years so clearly AMD buyers were not looking for power efficiency that was Nvidia users for years. The poll has spoken and you got your answer which is most prefer native but will use upscaling if forced to.

My post wasn't referring to you and your reasons/needs but a general observation on how preferences and so on changes depending on who is winning in certain things.... Which is why I referenced that thread as it was the be all since RDNA 2 was better (at least in terms of raster PE anyway) but alas it obviously wasn't a factor in the end. You've been around this forum long enough to know how things work, perfect example being fake frames, was trashed upon for reasons like input lag, UI issues then amd came along with a considerably inferior version where hdr and vrr wasn't working in 2 games which no one cared about and fake frames suddenly became the best thing ever.

Also, you have potentially confirmed what I thought may have happened and people haven't read the op, this isn't about preference but how you game on a daily basis.....

Soldato
My post wasn't referring to you and your reasons/needs but a general observation on how preferences and so on changes depending on who is winning in certain things.... Which is why I referenced that thread as it was the be all since RDNA 2 was better (at least in terms of raster PE anyway) but alas it obviously wasn't a factor in the end. You've been around this forum long enough to know how things work, perfect example being fake frames, was trashed upon for reasons like input lag, UI issues then amd came along with a considerably inferior version where hdr and vrr wasn't working in 2 games which no one cared about and fake frames suddenly became the best thing ever.

Also, you have potentially confirmed what I thought may have happened and people haven't read the op, this isn't about preference but how you game on a daily basis.....
I agree people do some flip flopping on what is important but i do find most AMD users are all about the bang for buck. I always knew native would be first for the majority but i reckon people will use whatever gets them to a comfortable frame rate and good visuals to go with it. If that's Dlss or Fsr in my case i would use it if the visual impact was not great and it got me to the fps i want. PC is all about give and take with settings.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I had a 4090, sold it as I was not gaming much then got the chance of a good deal on the AMD card.

Damn. It seems like all the mods these days have AMD cards. With a bit of creativity one could tweak the lyrics below slightly and it would be fitting right now for us Nvidia users :cry:

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

He’s making a list,
Checking it twice,
Gonna find out who’s naughty or nice.

He sees you when you’re sleeping
He knows when you’re awake
He knows if you’ve been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake

Last edited:
Don
Damn. It seems like all the mods these days have AMD cards. With a bit of creativity one could tweak the lyrics below slightly and it would fitting right now for us Nvidia users :cry:

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why

He’s making a list,
Checking it twice,
Gonna find out who’s naughty or nice.

He sees you when you’re sleeping
He knows when you’re awake
He knows if you’ve been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake

A couple have 4090’s

Reactions: TNA
Associate
'Always native' is such a dated mindset. If you're always running native, your monitor is too low of a resolution for your GPU i.e high end GPU paired with a 1440p monitor. 1440p upscaled to 4K looks better than native 1440p.

Soldato
'Always native' is such a dated mindset. If you're always running native, your monitor is too low of a resolution for your GPU i.e high end GPU paired with a 1440p monitor. 1440p upscaled to 4K looks better than native 1440p.
Try and do explain that to @TheRealDeal :p

No point of me having a 240hz 1440p monitor to game at lower fps. Give me fluidity in Cod Mw3 over 4k any day. Competitive online gaming ain't about how nice the game looks it's more about high fps and input lag. Native as usual wins for me. Shiny puddles and walls in 4k are for single player games.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No point of me having a 240hz 1440p monitor to game at lower fps. Give me fluidity in Cod Mw3 over 4k any day. Competitive online gaming ain't about how nice the game looks it's more about high fps and input lag. Native as usual wins for me. Shiny puddles and walls in 4k are for single player games.

But then why not use upscaling to get even more frames if it "ain't about how nice the game looks it's more about high fps and input lag"?

Something just does not add up :cry:

Soldato
But then why not use upscaling to get even more frames if it "ain't about how nice the game looks it's more about high fps and input lag"?

Something just does not add up :cry:

Well i get 200-240 in cod so why would i introduce extra input lag with fsr/dlss. Native is king mate.

• Haha
Caporegime
OP
Well i get 200-240 in cod so why would i introduce extra input lag with fsr/dlss. Native is king mate.

Fsr and dlss upscaling doesn't add input lag, it reduces it because frame rate is even higher. Frame gen adds lag since it is creating extra frame and inserting it between 2 traditional rendered frames.

Edit:

Looks like dlss is king now :cry:

But in all seriousness, poll is going way I expected. Native overall still the same but between native with Nvidia owners and dlss, more divided. Fsr though, well....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Back
Top Bottom