How many buy Grey vs Local ?

Soldato
OP
Gamble taken, D7200 and battery grip ordered from Portusdigital... free postage and 3 year warranty from seller. Price for the body 649, UK price would be around 930-950.
Might return for a 80-400 later...... As even with the current cash back offer it still a few hundred cheaper to go grey.

Associate
Gamble taken, D7200 and battery grip ordered from Portusdigital... free postage and 3 year warranty from seller. Price for the body 649, UK price would be around 930-950.
Might return for a 80-400 later...... As even with the current cash back offer it still a few hundred cheaper to go grey.
Portus are fine, i used them with no issues. Turn around time was less than a week and arrived via FedEx :)

Associate
used DigitalRev's shop the other day to order a new battery for my A6000. Usually retail for £65 but got it from them for £40 (I did get some cheap third party ones but I do prefer official ones).
What I liked about these guys is that they send it to a company within the UK who then ship it out so you shouldn't get hit with import taxes

Soldato
I did neither - just bought a D7200 + battery grip whilst I was in Japan. However, I have bought my original camera (d3200, kit lens and 35mm f/1.8) from Jessops, then a 55-300mm from DR.

Last edited:
Associate
Will be keeping an eye out for a export model Sony A7II whilst i'm in japan next week however I'm pretty sure they are all the Japanese models

Soldato
So Im looking at getting my first DSLR and have been looking at used/refurbished from WEX then found out about DigitalRev.

Any comments on warranty?

Are the items new/used?

Im guessing they're imports?

Really tempted given the prices especially on the D5200/D3300/D3200 twin lens kit.

Caporegime
digitalrev are a very well known HK importer selling grey stock.

I would imagine all their refurb units are going to be returns from their grey import stock that customers have brought back and they've replaced with new stock, and have now repaired and sold on the unit that came back. The new / used state will vary from unit to unit I expect, depending upon how old it was when it was returned back to them.

No idea about the warranty on these Tesco refurb store on ebay sells stuff with a 1 year warranty with them (as a similar ish comparison), so you'd have to see if digitalrev offered any kind of warranty on them. If not they will likely be without any beyond your basic sales of goods act rights.

Associate
I'm currently after a UWA lens for my D5500. Budget of around £300ish. I had settled on a used Tokina 11-16 DXII. They're asking £375 incl. a year warranty locally. I expected it to be more like £325 in truth. HDEW will sell it for £300 new.

My instinct is that the new one from HDEW is a better buy even if I can get the used for £325 (which I don't think likely). Thoughts?

Edit: UK new is around £550 so out of the question unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is not liekly to be grey, grey market camera product make up a fraction of a single percent of units so the chances are slim. Plus I always check to see if it comes with the orginal warranty card.

And if you do end up with a grey then you will also end up with more money in your pocket, a clean conscious for not committing tax fraud, and if you buy used forma store you get a warranty form the store typically than if you purchased a grey product new.

here we go...

Associate
A used Nikon 12-24 can be picked up for around £300, I just did :)

My local got back to me re: the Tokina with no movement. Had a look around yesterday after you suggested this and ended up plumping for the 10-24mm Nikon (used). Bit of an impulse but seems right. Realistically it'll be a lot more practical (10-24 vs 11-16) without comprimising on the quality of the Tokina.

Thanks for the reply, helped me finally make a purchase (been about 2-3 months of 'mulling over')!

Associate
The discounts you get at places like the Photography show at the NEC are a good middle ground in my opinion, non-grey products at grey prices. The downside is you might have to wait a while for another to come around again!

I've bought a couple of grey lenses in my time and always felt uncomfortable doing so, however it is difficult to justify outlaying so much extra money for (in all likelihood) no real reason.

Last edited:
Caporegime
however it is difficult to justify outlaying so much extra money for (in all likelihood) no real reason.

Well there is a real reason, to pay into the system that has supported you for a large period of your life. It's not just an increased price because the shops feel like it.

Not that I'm against your choice but to say for no real reason, well that's not true. :)

Soldato
OP
Well the state hasn't ever supported by, quite to opposite !!!
The assumption here is Grey has zero tax and duty paid..... That's not the definition of grey, it's still meant to have duty paid... Whether that happened by the resellers we won't know. Does their business plan only work if they dodge it?

Back
Top Bottom