How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
Chaparral

Nice...

Never owned a white car before. But the colour is starting to grow on me. My current ST3 is Race Red. Cancelled order... so got it in around 2 weeks, rather than wait months for Tangerine Scream. Might think about white next. Look really cool with the optional black 19in rims.

Enjoy.

Soldato
Never owned a white car before. But the colour is starting to grow on me.
I didn't really choose the colour as it was the only brand new Focus ST that was available forsale over here....

The spec on it is
ST3 with the following extra options
Frozen White Paint £208
Ford Sync2 DAB navigation system £250 (But Not the premium sony option which I really wanted :( )
blind spot information system £437
Driver Assistance Pack £375
Door Edge Protectors £70
Ford extended 5 year warranty £266
Diamondbrite & Leather Kit £339 (They included this for free)

Local Emission Fee £555 :(

I payed a total of £23,527

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats ridiculous lol... metallic I sort of understand but solid colours are free in my head.. the red on my 56 ST2 was free!

Mind you, it was practically watercolour. Peeled off at speed.

Soldato
Matt100 how long have you had focus ST's for ? (And how many ?)
As am sure that I remember you also owned a focus ST many many years ago

I didn't what a red one as I seen so many different makes of older red cars where the red paint on the bonnet & bumpers have faded or peeled

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a red st2 from new for 4 years then traded it for an orange one for about 18 months but switched to diesel beemers due to mileage like 4 years ago. Still lust after them though :) it's just 25mpg isnt practical and I need automatic for the amount of time I spend on the m25 nowadays :(

Soldato
I had a red st2 from new for 4 years then traded it for an orange one for about 18 months but switched to diesel beemers due to mileage like 4 years ago. Still lust after them though :) it's just 25mpg isnt practical and I need automatic for the amount of time I spend on the m25 nowadays :(

I know we don't buy this sort of car for the mpg. But should do a fair bit better than 25mpg with the latest ST. I get 26/28mpg local runs (not hanging around). And around 33/35 mpg on longer regular runs. Driving miss daisy style the other week on a site seeing trip, saw an average of almost 40!

My only disappointment with the car, is the quality of the paint job. Not the worst I've ever had, but far from the best. There are a number of spots where there are tiny grains of dirt/grit under the paint. Only noticeable if you look for them on a clean car, but they are there. Not concerned really though, as it's only on a 2 year PCP. Car has performed faultlessly up to now though (touch wood).

Last edited:
Soldato
Both mine were the first gen 2.5t units.. As I said a few times at the time I spent a LOT of time in that car, I did 100k miles in just under 4 years and I tried high gears, low gears, hot, cold, long runs, low speeds everything and I just nudged over an indicated 30mpg once or twice - over a whole tank of course.

Some on here have said they've had early/mid 30s over a tank with theirs and fine, maybe I had a thirstier engine or I don't know how to drive but when I was trying to work it out for entertainment on 500 mile round trips I think I'm a fair witness.

The newer one I've no idea..

I am sort of interested in the diesel one as I still think this is a handsome car but I think if I had auto it would just make it all pointless, I may as well have a warm german RWD instead and never hoon down country lanes and I'm fine with that now :)

Frankly it was filling it up 3 times in a day that finally got the better of me. 280ish miles if lucky on a tank was a **** take.

Soldato
But should do a fair bit better than 25mpg with the latest ST. I get 26/28mpg local runs (not hanging around). And around 33/35 mpg on longer regular runs. Driving miss daisy style the other week on a site seeing trip, saw an average of almost 40!
Done 200miles now in my new ST and seem to be getting around 22mpg over here on my small island that with me driving it would class as taking it really easy..
But really it to early to tell, guess am going need to wait till I done at lest a few thousand miles before I will know the true mpg am going get with my driving style

But am not driving it like the gear change arrows on dash display tell me to..(Did that for about the first 50 miles and got bored :p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Both mine were the first gen 2.5t units.. As I said a few times at the time I spent a LOT of time in that car, I did 100k miles in just under 4 years and I tried high gears, low gears, hot, cold, long runs, low speeds everything and I just nudged over an indicated 30mpg once or twice - over a whole tank of course.

Some on here have said they've had early/mid 30s over a tank with theirs and fine, maybe I had a thirstier engine or I don't know how to drive but when I was trying to work it out for entertainment on 500 mile round trips I think I'm a fair witness.

The newer one I've no idea..

I am sort of interested in the diesel one as I still think this is a handsome car but I think if I had auto it would just make it all pointless, I may as well have a warm german RWD instead and never hoon down country lanes and I'm fine with that now :)

Frankly it was filling it up 3 times in a day that finally got the better of me. 280ish miles if lucky on a tank was a **** take.

Fair enough :)
I've heard others comment that the 2.5 could be a thirsty lump.

My comment was only regarding the new face lift model.

Though with a good work out I can push mine down into low 20's :):):)

Associate
If you're taking mpg off a fuel computer I'd suggest comparing it over a tank full with the basic figures of how much fuel used on last fill up and how far you got before the next one.

Mine's miles out, admittedly running different injectors - I never thought to make the comparison while it was still running the standard ones :rolleyes:

Soldato
If you're taking mpg off a fuel computer I'd suggest comparing it over a tank full with the basic figures of how much fuel used on last fill up and how far you got before the next one.

Mine's miles out, admittedly running different injectors - I never thought to make the comparison while it was still running the standard ones :rolleyes:

Interesting you should mention this.

But out of interest. I've tried a couple of brim-brim tests. Using the same garage / pump (so as accurate as I could check it). And I think it's the first car I've ever owned (with a trip meter ... and that's a fair few cars) where it's pretty much spot on. The RS Clio I had previously, was miles out (IE. optimistic) and the Suzuki Swift sport before that, was almost laughable The trip meter was pointless ... as it was so far out!. It was a standing joke on the Suzuki forum.

From looking at the O/L Focus ST owners club (there's a huge thread on there about MPG) what I'm getting seems about average for the current model ST. But as usual, so many variables (driving style obviously being one of the big ones).

Not that I'm overly worried about MPG, else I'd driving a diesel :eek:

I think the current ST is a great car.
They just need to sort the quality control on their paintwork.
Can't really fault the handling / ride quality balance though (even on the optional bigger wheel / tyre combo).

If being picky. I would say:
- Maybe could do with just a bit more power. Maybe an upgrade that could be chosen at build time. Yes I know there is Mountune.
- SYNC 2 needs to be brought kicking and screaming into the current century (SYNC 3 may give us this).
- And why no front parking sensors on the option list?
- Why doesn't the keyless entry on the ST3 not auto-lock when you walk away? It did on my previous two cars with this sort of system.

So all told. Not a lot to moan about. It's even pretty much squeek / rattle free at the moment.

Soldato
Interesting you should mention this.

But out of interest. I've tried a couple of brim-brim tests. Using the same garage / pump (so as accurate as I could check it). And I think it's the first car I've ever owned (with a trip meter ... and that's a fair few cars) where it's pretty much spot on. The RS Clio I had previously, was miles out (IE. optimistic) and the Suzuki Swift sport before that, was almost laughable The trip meter was pointless ... as it was so far out!. It was a standing joke on the Suzuki forum.

From looking at the O/L Focus ST owners club (there's a huge thread on there about MPG) what I'm getting seems about average for the current model ST. But as usual, so many variables (driving style obviously being one of the big ones).

Not that I'm overly worried about MPG, else I'd driving a diesel :eek:

I think the current ST is a great car.
They just need to sort the quality control on their paintwork.
Can't really fault the handling / ride quality balance though (even on the optional bigger wheel / tyre combo).

- Maybe could do with just a bit more power. Maybe an upgrade that could be chosen at build time. Yes I know there is Mountune.
- SYNC 2 needs to be brought kicking and screaming into the current century (SYNC 3 may give us this).
- Why doesn't the keyless entry on the ST3 not auto-lock when you walk away? It did on my previous two cars with this sort of system.

So all told. Not a lot to moan about. It's even pretty much squeek / rattle free at the moment.

Totally agree on all those but would add memory seats.

I think I got up to 30mpg sat at 75 on the autobahn back to UK with cruise control on. Spirited driving I would imagine it's high teens. I wouldn't want to own one in the uk with price of fuel.

Soldato

And maybe a LSD as standard ..Don't think ford would up the power with out fitting a LSD first...

The ST Coming without a LSD as standard I find very strange as even my old Series 1 1985 RS turbo with only 132bhp came with a LSD..

Last edited:
Soldato
And maybe a LSD as standard ..Don't think ford would up the power with out fitting a LSD first...

The ST Coming without a LSD as standard I find very strange as even my old Series 1 1985 RS turbo with only 132bhp came with a LSD..

Fair comment about the LSD. But dont think the latest incarnation of the torque vectoring system does to badly in the ST. It's certainly seems a little less intrusive than the similar system fitted to my previous car (RS Clio EDC).

Soldato
I know it's early days, but how are you finding this? I'm not sure if I'll be speccing it in my ST3 build or not.
I Don't really need the blind spot system for seeing cars on the sides of me over here as there no motorways here
But the rear cross traffic part can be a great help for when reversing out of spaces

Just filled the tank up again and Not to impressed to see am only getting 20mpg
It Used 33litres of fuel to do 151miles

Soldato
I Don't really need the blind spot system for seeing cars on the sides of me over here as there no motorways here
But the rear cross traffic part can be a great help for when reversing out of spaces

Just filled the tank up again and Not to impressed to see am only getting 20mpg
It Used 33litres of fuel to do 151miles

Give it a couple of thousand miles and I'm sure it will improve a bit.

Back
Top Bottom