How many Focus ST owners on here

Custom pack.. thats it :) Knew comfort didn't sound right.

And yeah I remember the big sub too :) if only the Ford dealer in Farnborough was a bit more flexible back in the mid 2000s I'd have had one of them. Magnum grey just like my TDCI sport.

In fact, the TDCI sport was pretty good too, pretty much full ST trim and surprisingly quick, it had the off the line boost the ST170 didn't due to the turbo it just ran out of steam pretty quickly like any old diesel.

From my sad memory for these things the Comfort Pack was things like the Xenon Lamps and possibly the EATC air-con instead of the manual version. Probably have an ST170 brochure somewhere I could check. I'd always liked blue Fords like my Zetec S Fiesta but had to go for silver for the first ST170 as they only did a plain blue when the model first came out.

While it felt quick at times it wasn't ultimately any quicker than one our Mondeo tdci's from work, in fact apart from the short rev-range the Mondeo felt really sweet when the turbo boosted you along. I remember the tdci sports too, nice wheels and the ST170 fog lamps etc

I thought the thirsty fuel consumption of the ST170 would prepare me well for the Focus ST 225. Whoops!

Last edited:
Looking quite seriously at getting a Focus ST now chaps.

Budget will probably get me a late pre-facelift (07ish - 7-8k to spend).

Assuming ST-3 is the one to go for. Preferably with climate and/or Nav. Anything to look out for specifically?

I'm in the same boat. I'm tempted to up my budget though and get a facelift. A lot of the niggly problems like oil diaphragm look to have been sorted with the facelift.

I'm in the same boat. I'm tempted to up my budget though and get a facelift. A lot of the niggly problems like oil diaphragm look to have been sorted with the facelift.

That's one issue though my facelift one failed due to a burned out pre-heating element, threw up an engine light etc so that'd be an obvious one if you went to look at a possible purchase.

Hi, I now have the chance to buy my Dad's Focus ST as he is trading it in against a new ST.

2007 ST2 in Colorado Red, 40k miles Ford service history, he has owned the car from new, so I know it's history and at 61 he's no boy racer, the car is completely standard, they are offering him £7k as a trade-in so thats what I'd get it for.

Now, it's a great chance to buy one and obviously there's no hesitation due to knowing it's history, but a look around the net throws up some cars with less(!!) miles, maybe a year newer or have had MP260 fitted for similar money.

Opinions as to whether I should go for this car or look for others?

I'm not desperate for a Focus ST, I'm aware of the running costs and I've had quicker cars in the past, but it's a great oportunity, thoughts appreciated!

Suppose you've got to bear in mind trade in prices are usually inflated compared to private as the dealer will be offsetting that against the profit on the new vehicle, and will sell the trade-in at higher price than private sale too.

7k trade in is a fantastic offer IMO.

Talk him down, you're his son etc :D

No chance, he's tighter than two coats of paint.

I hear what you guy's are saying, that they are offering him an artificially high price as they can make the money back in either not discounting the new car or selling the trade in off to one of their trade contacts and make even a little profit.

I guess the question is do I buy it because I know it's history and it's a very good story when I come to sell it on (two owners/one family) or do I see if I can get more Focus ST for the money.

Last edited:
@Jamous

At the end of the day it is completely up to you. I recently bought my partners, uncles '06 ST-3 off him. I got an amazing deal as it came with keyless, full nav, auto wipers/lights and all the other usual goodies.

Got it cheap because it needed the ABS brake pressure sensor replacing so I took him down even more on the price! Frankly it is the most comfortable car I have owned. As long as you can afford to run it. Knowing the history is useful :)

Until around 2010 that was the case where Ford would only replace the whole pump assembly including the sensor. Then in 2010 when huge amounts of cars using this Bosch item (it is fitted to the C-Max, Kuga, Focus in addition to other manufacturers) started reporting the issue (Error code: C1288) they started offering the part separate from the pump at a smidge over £200. I paid Ford, who surprisingly were the cheapest. £370 inc vat + part to fit.

I paid £6500 for a 39K '06 ST-3. 2 owners. With the touchscreen Nav, keyless entry, auto lights/wipers and dimming rear view mirros, xenons. Pretty much the lot. Cracking bargain for me!

Getting the old bolt out will be the problem really.

Depends how much access you have to get to it, and how good you are with tools and stuff. If the thread is exposed you may get a pair of mole grips onto it, otherwise you're looking at drilling into the remains of the bolt so a stud extractor can be used.

Jobs like that can go nice and straight forward, or get rather more complicated if the extractor snaps etc.

Back
Top Bottom