How many Focus ST owners on here

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice, im about to buy a 2007 focus st3, but it needs a new head unit.

Does anyone know if a double din will fit, and if so, which wire adapter is needed? the connects2 website lists 2; CTSFO003.2 and CTSFO002.2 with the difference been the ignition feed

Thanks!

Must admit I thought the same however that seems to be about the best I can find. Not sure how accurate they are but Parkers has the following estimates listed for it;

Franchised Dealer £13,460
Independent Dealer 12,830

Though it does seem a lot.

I just wouldn't be trying to get a 2010 car unless it was a really good deal. I'd decide on either a pre or post facelift and then look at the cheapest examples.

For example, it's not like an early example of either is going to be a wreck is it (barring the maltreated ones, but these should be avoided like the plague anyway).

Have you any idea how they hold up at higher mileages? I'd like to avoid getting one too high but it will certainly help lower the price. When do the major repairs usually come in?

I can't believe the ST prices are still this high, it bodes well for me I suppose! As for the 57 pre-facelift for £8k, that's overpriced! It's only an ST2 as well.

I have an 08 facelift ST3 with 59k miles and I would be looking at £9k for that as it's a good example, but that one doesn't look particularly good, and with the pre-facelift problems it will cost you more to fix as well.

Have you any idea how they hold up at higher mileages? I'd like to avoid getting one too high but it will certainly help lower the price. When do the major repairs usually come in?

My first one wasn't particularly well maintained and covered it's miles very quickly (both calendar and mph!) but I got my original ST2 to 98k in 4 years and in the last 25k I ended up needing a new turbo, new driveshaft, had an oil diaphragm thingy leak, the air con packed up and it was making a pretty scary rattle when I traded it (for an orange one :))

Now I did push service intervals a bit which is why I say it wasn't well maintained but it was always Ford serviced and as you can see from the mileage even though I largely ignored the 12k interval and went more like 16k to 18k it was still in the garage pretty regularly.

Actually the turbo thing I'm not convinced was diagnosed correctly, there was a sort of chirping noise when it was cold but they switched the turbo and it went then came back. I personally think it was more a manifold or gasket issue after a lot of reading which sort of made sense with it only happening when cold and never affected the performance etc.

At the moment the 2010 ST-2 is probably the best all round example i've seen (other than the price! :D) so I suppose it comes down to am I prepared to overpay or wait for something else to come along. Unfortunately they all seem to be holding their values really well at the moment.

Look further afield as well, your two examples are both from around here, bit of a ballache, but for the price of a day off and a full tank of petrol to get somewhere, you could get a better deal. Or you could wait and buy mine when I put it on sale, haha.

I forgot to mention I would also avoid flat colours in the earlier ones, my red one's paint on the front bumper basically peeled off, I had to have it resprayed 3 times, the paint was like butter.

I've had a look, not as in depth as I have locally purely because it's a bit of a ballache but even then i've not noticed anything with a good mileage and FSH. Maybe i'm placing to much importance on the latter.

I don't think you are being too picky with the FSH, I wouldn't ever consider one without it.

Its not so much that Ford have magic fairy dust to sprinkle on it, it's more that these are a little bit delicate for a hot hatch and I'd only go with a properly maintained one.

I was going through a tough time financially and personally when I started scrimping on my servicing and that went all the way to warming up and cooling down the engine properly, using cheap tyres, driving it hard when I knew it was breaking etc etc whereas a lovingly maintained and serviced car won't necessarily be any more reliable you'd like to think it might have less user induced faults than my first one probably had.

These are going to head in 2 directions.. 1 the properly OTT maintained future classic and the other the barry boy ragged hot hatch used for shopping centre cruising y0.

I know which I'd rather have! The only problem with a future classic type car is you'll pay more for it and lose the value if you actually USE it. That's what's stopped me from looking seriously at things like the previous RS. Its no good for me, I need to do 20k+ a year.

Back
Top Bottom