How many Focus ST owners on here

front bumper colour match is lol'worthy like most ST's that arn't in red/blue/pb. The early green RS's are the worst. I had a deposit one and cancelled it, went for performance blue as they are always pretty much perfect for some reason.

Jesus, I never even noticed until you said - image 4 is horrendous!

I'd almost certainly be looking for a standard one rather than one thats been modified. Personal preference though, i'm quite OCD when it comes to modifications and the history of the car.

I don't rate that forum particularly highly. Not been on there long mind, my view may change in the future.

I'm glad I went for a PFL, push-button thefts would have kept me awake at night.

Think the cracked liners were sorted eventually from early facelift ST's onwards. I had one fail on pre-facelift and new engine fitted under warranty.

Never heard an official or even semi-official explanation for the problem - i.e. were parts not to spec or the design of the liners/cooling system not up to the job. In theory Ford added an extra coating process on the outside of the liners on the RS (not the bores) and in theory this might have been carried over to the ST block also. But can't say any of this has ever been confirmed.

First green RS I saw had different shades of green on the plastics compared to the body shell - especially for cars when a new model & paint colour is first launched all the different suppliers providing painted parts can have paint matching difficulties. Ford would have taken the decision to ship the cars rather than delay things further while the suppliers get their **** together.

Would have thought Ford's supplier wouldn't have problems with matching frozen white with it being a regular colour. Know with some colours just a difference in lighting can make a panel look like it's a different shade when it isn't, panel joins can emphasise this effect.

I'm glad I went for a PFL, push-button thefts would have kept me awake at night.

Mines a push button start. I nearly bought a disklock for it but then I figured, if someone wants to take it, they'll take it, one way or another. Waking up and finding its gone off the drive would be gutting, but its probably the least painful ways of having your car stolen these days. Literally.

what sort of MPG do people get on the motorway please ?

my wife is liking my 62 plate Titanium X 182 enough that I think I may well replace her car with a ST next year and give her the 182

I was a bit worried to start with as around town and taking kids to school I was averaging 25mpg - but I am heavy with my right foot

we did a longer run this weekend - mostly motorway - and averaged 43.9mpg - now even taking some off that as probably a bit optimistic - thats not bad really :)

For a good run on the motorway my ST creeps towards the 30's, lot better than the usual driving round town mileage.

Even managed to average 33mpg for a weekend's driving round Scotland a while back :eek:

Hi guys, not a Focus ST owner myself but my old man is. He has a 2012 ST3 and he's looking at replacing his current tyres with new (obviously).

Seems as I cannot get onto the Ford forums to look without signing up I thought I would ask here.

What seems to be the best tyres out there at the minute to suit this car, I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my BMW (please don't attack me) which are fantastic but I don't believe they fit the ST3's wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

prob different/less sensitive on the STs- but can the stability control do some strange things on the Focuses ?

I drove the Focus Ecoboost I picked up the other day - was going round a roundabout that is local to me applied a bit of gas on exit - and unlike my previous ancient car with no stability control (but had LSD) which worst case would give a bit of understeer - the new car seemed to suddenly do its own thing and instead of tightening up the line actually seemed to chuck me to the left. Maybe it thought I was in a skid ??? Possible the amount of grit from gritters etc had made the surface bad - not sure, or maybe as a Turbo'd engine the sudden torque unsettled the car. I was not going very fast at all (way under speed limit).

that said - been out on country lanes today and it seems to handle the twisties really really well

softer than I thought when I test-drove at the dealers though ... but seems very nippy for a non-sporty version

as an update to this - the problem was the tyre pressures

Fronts were at +5 PSI higher than they should have been (dropped to +2 now)

but worse - rears were - one correct - one @ - 6-7 PSI under

now all correct - handles MUCH better :)

garage had set tyre pressures wrong - prob when they refurbed the alloys

Hi guys, not a Focus ST owner myself but my old man is. He has a 2012 ST3 and he's looking at replacing his current tyres with new (obviously).

Seems as I cannot get onto the Ford forums to look without signing up I thought I would ask here.

What seems to be the best tyres out there at the minute to suit this car, I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my BMW (please don't attack me) which are fantastic but I don't believe they fit the ST3's wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I've been getting good mileage and performance with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's on my ST 2.5 - can't say exactly how suited they'd be for the mk3 but generally they get pretty high ratings across lots of different cars. Running them on both the standard 18" wheels and also my 19" Oz's.

Is warranty on screens same as for main car ?

My window has a stone chip crack right hand side of window - just outside of drivers MOT failure area so was going to get replaced

But when screen is misty and or on frosty mornings I have a 2cm wide stripe centre of screen that doesn't clear

The area round, above etc crack clears fine

I've read elsewhere if still in warranty I could possibly get replaced under manufacturers warranty - is this wishful thinking ?

Crazy times ahead looks like my car is going this week and I'm gonna be quick fire viewing some ST's. 6500ish budget.

Can peeps give me a real quick run down of stuff to look for, I will read through the thread when not working for detailed info, need make a check list quick :D

Crazy times ahead looks like my car is going this week and I'm gonna be quick fire viewing some ST's. 6500ish budget.

Can peeps give me a real quick run down of stuff to look for, I will read through the thread when not working for detailed info, need make a check list quick :D

Thought you had a budget of £13k? You were looking for MK7 Fiesta ST's in the other thread? :confused:

A few things to get you started:
22-25MPG average
14-16MPG on a mixed fast drive
7MPG flat out - Don't think many people see this outside of a track.
55L tank costing around £65-£70 to fill with V-Power
240-300 miles typical range
30+ achievable on a long run (I did a 360 mile round trip to Liverpool and back to Newcastle and got 35MPG)
Tyres are £80 a corner for midrange, up to around £95 for premium

Common Faults:
Alternator - £400-£450 - Revised part fitted to Facelifts
Oil Filter Diaphragm - £180+fitting - Revised part fitted as standard to the Facelifts
Slipping Clutch (Occurs normally only after remapping) - £725-£850
Front bushes drying out – Powerflex £200, Hardrace replacement wishbones £340(?)
ESP Failures - £400-£1,200 (Pre-FLs ST1s such as myself don’t get this issue)
Undertray being obliterated - £53.23 (May be around £57 now)
Driveshafts - £160 refurb, £400-£500 new (each!) - Likely to fail if you've got a thing for Traffic Light GPs.

Modding:
Remaps: Stage 1: 250-270bhp (Can be done on a completely stock car)
Remaps: Stage 2+ Completely depends on the tuner. Collins Stage 2 for example recommends full mods but is 320bhp, while Bluefin can be put on a stock car but will only run around 260bhp.
RS Spark Plugs: £35-£40
Intercoolers: £240-£500
Exhausts: £600-£1,000
Induction Kits: £250-£400
Eibach Springs: £200 fitted
Bilstein b8: £550
RARB: £150-£200
BlockMod: £550-£750 (Metal shims between the liners to prevent them cracking – 5% suspected failure resulting in a new engine).

Back
Top Bottom