How many Focus ST owners on here

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Tomorrow after work I'll scoot through the thread make plenty of notes etc, I did save the thread from some time ago so I will re-assess :D

Jono8, my two options are a nice ST Focus for up to 7k or a new/near new ST Fiesta for whatever it costs. I would have to finance a bit on top of 7k and the dilemma is house or car... as myself and my girlfriend are looking into this quite soon. So it's a bit up in the air but we will see :)

I've got a car I can borrow from a friend which means I won't have to rush now so if I spot the right near new Fiesta for good money that's an option. We will see :) Just trying to be wise(ish) with my spends.

Spot-on tips there for the wear & tear parts plus upgrades etc.

With the cost of mods you can often pick up 2nd hand parts from a car being put back to standard, apart from the remap unless there's still any Dreamscience handsets out there with extra lives on them.

Typical symptom of the clutch being past it's best, if you get into a high gear at low speed and put your foot down you'll see the tacho needle 'stumble' at around 2-3000rpm - it'll gain a few revs as it slips, drop down then build up again as it sorts itself out. They can be like this for years sometimes without getting much worse. Focus RS clutch pressure plate fixes it.

For an 07 ST I don't think the MP260 package is worth the money - once you're not looking at the warranty benefits there's similar or better packages for lot less money.

Thanks for the info ref testing the clutch, got a couple to view at weekend hopefully so will have to try and get organised quickly as don't want to miss a good car for good money but on the flipside don't wanna get carried away and miss something obvious rushing! Time is of the essence these days :)

I have heard of this mod, any more details? 5% suspected failure?

I have an 07 ST and was pondering the MP260 upgrade.

Metal shims between the cylinders to stop them changing shape and eventually cracking due to metal fatigue. Typically between £500-£800 depending on whether you just want the basic mod or you want the belts and water pump changing etc.

So I have had my mk3.5 ST for just over 2 weeks now, I do intend to post some better pictures in the future, unfortunately she is dirty as hell already so this one will have to do for now...

mNHzXpq.jpg

Covered just under 400 miles in her so far, so not even run in yet, very happy with the purchase anyway. :)

Last edited:
Yeah it's an ST2, I don't even know why anybody would buy an ST1, it doesn't even get a heated windscreen and the seats are terrible in the ST1.

The only option I was fussed about having was cruise, and although it seems "key free" was touted as an optional extra mine seems to have come with it anyway without paying for it so I don't know if the brochure was incorrect.

The interior is massively improved over the pre-facelift as well, I will get some pictures up in due course, but the centre console is no longer littered with buttons that look like they came from an old nokia.

I'll have a good clean at the weekend and get some more pictures up along with a comparison of how I feel the car is compared to my last car which was an 06 reg ST3 if anybody is interested.

Last edited:
Yeah it's an ST2, I don't even know why anybody would buy an ST1, it doesn't even get a heated windscreen and the seats are terrible in the ST1.

The only option I was fussed about having was cruise, and although it seems "key free" was touted as an optional extra mine seems to have come with it anyway without paying for it so I don't know if the brochure was incorrect.

If it is like the Fiesta's, the ST2 has key free start (as in you can just sit in it and press the start button) but the ST-3 has true keyless entry and go (as in you don't have to get your keys out of your pocket ever, you just press a button on the handle to lock/unlock the car)

hats off to Ford designers - I quite like the Bi-xenon design

has supplementary halogens - so you can flash people without un-due wear on the Xenons, and also when you go to full beam, not only do the Xenons go to full beam, but also the halogens turn on :)

ref MK3 STs - do any of them have the speed limiter as standard ? I'd convinced myself that if I was to get a ST it would have to have cruise control,but after having choice of speed limiter or cruise control - I'm finding speed limiter in a lot of cases much more useful - and if say a ST-2 had speed limiter I'd find that enough

Why are Ford doing such cheap options now such as the ST1 and having basic things as extras when they have been available on lots of cars for the last 10yrs.Even my 10yr old ST Mondeo has leather Recaro's and heated screen. If your paying 20k + on a top spec Focus why would they not include most of the so called extras. :confused:

If it is like the Fiesta's, the ST2 has key free start (as in you can just sit in it and press the start button) but the ST-3 has true keyless entry and go (as in you don't have to get your keys out of your pocket ever, you just press a button on the handle to lock/unlock the car)
How does the keyless entry work if your near the car what's stopping someone opening it if your close by?

has supplementary halogens - so you can flash people without un-due wear on the Xenons, and also when you go to full beam, not only do the Xenons go to full beam, but also the halogens turn on :)

ref MK3 STs - do any of them have the speed limiter as standard ? I'd convinced myself that if I was to get a ST it would have to have cruise control,but after having choice of speed limiter or cruise control - I'm finding speed limiter in a lot of cases much more useful - and if say a ST-2 had speed limiter I'd find that enough

Not sure about the ST2, but ST3 has cruise with limiter as standard.

It's a common set-up to have the extra halogen lamp for high beam - was explained to me by a former Hella engineer that it's a legal requirement for cars with Xenons. When you operate the headlamp flash while the headlamps are off there is a small delay for a Xenon lamp to fire up, which you don't get with a halogen lamp. Hence the additional halogen lamp used for high beam alongside the Xenon.

Am aware of some cars which have purely Xenons without the extra halogen lamp so don't know exactly how the legal requirements work - maybe some Xenon systems operate quickly enough to meet the spec.

Why are Ford doing such cheap options now such as the ST1 and having basic things as extras when they have been available on lots of cars for the last 10yrs.Even my 10yr old ST Mondeo has leather Recaro's and heated screen. If your paying 20k + on a top spec Focus why would they not include most of the so called extras. :confused:

How does the keyless entry work if your near the car what's stopping someone opening it if your close by?

Nothing. :D

As a keyless entry and start owner this naturally fills me with joy.

Back
Top Bottom