How many Focus ST owners on here

They're not that much more new really (via broker). And yes, not available with Xenon's either. I test drove one earlier this year and didn't find it too harsh, it was very firm but not crashy.

Would it be silly to pick up a MK2 Focus ST now ? I'm a bit bored of having only driven a Ghia MK1 1.6 and currently a Sport S MK2 1.8, I want something with some oomph to it, and I'm eyeing up a nice black MK2 ST. Looks like to get one around the 50,000 mileage range I would be spending between £6-7K. Is there anything I should be aware of when buying these ? Were there any facelifts or changes made that I absolutely should get with one of these ?

I am looking at selling my Pre-FL in the next couple of months.

About to go clean it actually. 06 ST-3 Plate 46k on the clock and I am the third owner. The only mods are Hardrace wishbones and ball joints.

I'm planning to get a new (used) car later in the year and I was looking at insurance quotes for the ST. I was on GoCompare and noticed they had two versions
FORD FOCUS ST3 (247), 2012 onwards, 1999cc, 5 door hatchback, Manual, Petrol
FORD FOCUS ST3 (275 - UPGRADE) , 2013 onwards, 1999cc, 5 door hatchback, Manual, Petrol

The first one is the original Focus ST3. The second one is the Mountune version?

That's correct, the Mountune MT upgrades are approved in such a way that they go onto the insurer database.

Had right fun and games a few years ago trying to insure my ST when it had the MT kit, insurer was adamant it only applied for cars factory built with the Mountune upgrade and not dealer fitted :rolleyes:

That's correct, the Mountune MT upgrades are approved in such a way that they go onto the insurer database.

Had right fun and games a few years ago trying to insure my ST when it had the MT kit, insurer was adamant it only applied for cars factory built with the Mountune upgrade and not dealer fitted :rolleyes:

Great. It only added ~£60. Mountune worth it?

I think the mountune is good if you want to keep the ford warranty intact, if the car is outside of warranty you can probably get a very similar kit for less money.

I may look into mountuning my facelift ST mk3 in the future but it isn't available yet due to the slight change in the engine layout and map over the pre-facelift.

I think the mountune is good if you want to keep the ford warranty intact, if the car is outside of warranty you can probably get a very similar kit for less money.

I may look into mountuning my facelift ST mk3 in the future but it isn't available yet due to the slight change in the engine layout and map over the pre-facelift.

The other benefit it seems is it is insurable by all insurance companies still too for very little extra. They don't even see it as a modification.

Ordered some gel inlay stickers for the badges, thinking about debadging the rear, and just doing the sides and front, as I think the contrast on the back wouldn't look that good, and leaving it as blue would look odd. Got stickers for the induction pipe to fit too. Ordered stickers for the spoiler but unsure if I actually want to put them on.

Had a new wheel bearing up at the nearside front and the PAS fluid flushed and changed on my 56 plate ST on Saturday. The cars only done 63k but the fluid was black/grey and generally minging. The PAS pump was a bit on the loud side initially hence going for a fluid change. 3 litres were needed to flush it through until it was clean!! Then another litre bottle to finally fill the system. The pump is quietening down as days go by now.

I've made the decision to send my car in primarily for a full respray. I bought it in not ideal weather conditions and took the word of the seller that there were no paint issues... long story cut short is, it looks like its had a poor respray and theres microblisters everywhere. Rather than try and cover it up I've made the decision to go back to bare metal and start again. I've been quoted £1100 for everywhere resprayed apart from bootlid/roof as they're original paint definitely, but sideskirts off, windows out, and then get my wheels repainted as the refurb done 18 months ago clearly wasn't great as paint is flaking off... some new numberplates and it should look very fresh indeed.

5 days it should be there but I might actually be happy with the car then as mechanically it's 95% there. I'm just embarrassed about the paint! It's also going in for a full interior wet vac and valet at a local detailing company on Saturday/Sunday this weekend once he lets me know which day is best.

I want to love this thing but it needs to be mint first and I'm kicking myself for rushing the purchase due to time constraints and being too trusting because of naff weather!

bubbles.jpg

Last edited:
Wow the paint looks terrible! Don't be too hard on yourself, I did something very similar when I bought my old EP3. Bought it when it was getting dark and only noticed the next day that the doors, front wings and bonnet were a different black to the the rest of the car! Lesson learned the hard way, ~£1,000 as well.

Aye it happens. I rushed, took the word of the seller and should have held off and come back when it wasn't belting it down... but it's done now. I'd feel bad selling it on in this state plus I'd be chucking money away so may as well get it done properly and get my monies worth out of this one, for once! :)

Those bubbles are on most of the car apart from the roof or bootlid/rear bumper. Terrible really. What a douché :)

I've done that before but with a main dealer, I got the affected panels re esprayed and a contribution from the dealer as it was in London but it still didnt look right and it irritated me so much in the end that I just sold the car at a loss, I'll never view a car in the rain again

Back
Top Bottom