How many Focus ST owners on here

Any jobs I've not been able to do myself on my ST have been done by Collins Performance - I definitely recommend them for jobs like clutch changes and lots more.

I've found in the past some maps are more likely to give the clutch a hard time than others. Example being Dreamscience DSCi map - while this would work fine on a standard ST if you ran it with bigger intercooler & uptated downpipe etc then the boost would ramp up too much and easily cause the clutch to slip. Wasn't anywhere near as noticeable with other maps such as Bluefin or DS mod B etc.

With my facelift ST the clutch started off slipping very slightly and I easily lived with it for a couple of years. Even when I bit the bullet and had the RS conversion fitted it still wasn't slipping that bad. Had been running the Collins map during that time and it does build power a lot more progressively than some alternatives where peak torque comes in quite abruptly in comparison.

The dilemma I juggled with was what to do with the diff while the gearbox was already coming out.....I now have a standard diff sat in a nice Quaiffe box ;)

Not gone for the block mod, maybe in a car running turbo mods and so on but I'm of the opinion that any cars with cracked liners these days are either early ones built before Ford fixed the main root cause, or very heavily modified?

That look a fine repair on your ST Phil, have heard that paint sprayers usually run a mile when they see an orange ST come in ;)

Looks well Phil, very nice :)

As for my wheel colour, honest answer... no idea. I'd have to ask the paint guy but I am avoiding him for a bit whilst I calm down about paintwork issues as it's going back in at the end of the month for the doors and rear 1/4's to be done again at his cost. But the wheel colour is lovely I will admit, at least he did those right lol.

Hnnnngggggg. I need to stop coming into this thread. Always had a soft spot for this model Focus ST (with the 5-pot) and I'm so tempted to just get a loan to buy one (interest rates are <4% at the moment which seems very reasonable). I'm hoping good sense will prevail and I'll be able to resist :D

I have a 1.25 Fiesta at the minute, and whilst it's perfectly fine shipping me to work and back, I don't enjoy it's meagre 55kW engine. I do about 10,000km a year too so the low fuel economy on the Focus isn't really an issue.

Not gone for the block mod, maybe in a car running turbo mods and so on but I'm of the opinion that any cars with cracked liners these days are either early ones built before Ford fixed the main root cause, or very heavily modified?

Cracked liners happen on stock ST/RS and have been known to happen at anytime, it is a lottery. In later engines the depth between the pistons is shallower so the issue is far less likely to occur but it does still happen.

Explained far better in this thread: http://passionford.com/forum/ford-focus-st/445728-focus-st-block-mod-info-inc-secret-block-mod.html

As for the clutch, it is apparently the torque that kills it/makes it slip so any low torque map shouldn't show problems as much as a high torque map.

I have decided to get both done when I can. I will be keeping this car for a very long time and will want to mod it so may as well have some peace of mind.

Get it bought.

:D Thinking about it further, I'd actually quite like an automatic, so the Mondeo Titanium X Ecoboost Powershift looks tempting, especially if I get the 240ps version (or just map up the older 200PS). Plus I'd get a couple of extra gadgets as standard; it still boggles me that most of the Focus STs I see don't have cruise or climate control.

My liners went, wasn't standard but dumped all it's coolant at 80mph so that doesn't help, oval cylinders afterwards, lol.

Was going to swap the screws in that Anembo manifold to green anodised aluminium ones, but not so sure, like the colour, but with them being aluminium not sure on the strength element.

Was going to swap the screws in that Anembo manifold to green anodised aluminium ones, but not so sure, like the colour, but with them being aluminium not sure on the strength element.
Rule of thumb I'd go for stainless screws if strength was main consideration over lightness.

Used to be a time when you could get coloured stainless fixings but don't know what's available now.

If you want strength and lightness titanium does the job nicely. But not cheaply ;)

Having read the passionford post it's interesting reading that people think the lower compression of an RS engine helps it err on the safe side for the liners.....when this is because the RS runs bigger turbo and more boost than an ST, so overall combustion pressures could be just the same as in an ST or even higher. Also I can't see any benefit at all in fitting lower compression pistons to an ST - compression ratio is optimised to work in conjunction with the stock turbo so you might have a theoretically safer engine but at the expense of how much performance?

Drop them an email, I found them very helpful when I was changing mine :)

Will do.

Meanwhile:

IMG_1447_zpsqtbgeakh.jpg

Are those from streamline?

Done a few things to my RS now. Currently running stage 1 bluefin with mountune airbox and 57s filter. Airtec stage 1 intercooler.

Looking to get AS gloss black plenum, eibach's, and cobra venom in the next few weeks hopefully.

Will do.

Meanwhile:

<snip>

Slippery slope :p They look great though! Word of warning, I wouldn't go for the front wing trims (by the mirrors) as the fit is terrible :( Everything else fits ok although the more I look at mine the more I want it re-lacquered as the finish isn't as good as I first thought. Have you thought about getting the plastics around the mirror sprayed gloss black? Just had mine done and this is the result (ignore all the fingerprints on the second picture)

mirror.jpg

mirror2.jpg

Last edited:
Quite like that. Maybe one day.

Getting an anti-lift kit, and standard brake calipers to powdercoat/paint and swap over with mine. Hopefully going to get the weather to do some of the electrical work I need to do on it soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom