How many Focus ST owners on here

That's what I meant to ask about the focus ST also how common are the cracked liners that can result in needing an engine replacement?
Googling around it's mentioned quite a lot on various Ford forums. I've heard remapping can make it more prone to it is that right :confused:
Is it the same with the S40 T5 and Mondeo 2.5T?

From what I understand Ford fixed the issue from later 2008 builds onwards. Whether that was fixed by a design change or tightened quality controls has never been officially confirmed that I know of. Could be related to sharing a new cylinder liner coating process introduced for the RS engines but again I don't think that was ever officially confirmed by Ford. Lot of opinions on the internet make it harder to sort the facts out.

I'd say that any cars prone to liner failure would have suffered from it by now so as long as you know the warning signs in the event of someone trying to shift a car already suffering from the problem you should be ok.

Typically shows up as car using coolant with no obvious signs of leaks, pressure still in the coolant system when the coolant temperature has dropped - seen as pressure releasing when you remove reservoir cap, occasional misfire on starting car after it being sat overnight and if you pull plugs out usually cylinder 2 or 3 depending how you count them (where's my hash key gone??) and also if you pull the plugs one cylinder will have moisture on end of plug and top of piston too.

Those tips are talking from first-hand experience of the issue! Didn't know a cracked liner could be rescued with a shim fix - Ford did the honours with mine giving it an engine transplant. That was on a 56 plate car with about 38K on the clock.

what sort of mpg do people get with their 2.0T STs ? I was tempted to give my 182 Focus to my wife next year (fantastic car but you can never have enough power ...) - and buy myself a ST. But a friend has bought one recently - 10k miles on the clock - 12 mile-ish commute to work (mostly straight-ish A-roads)- and hes averaging 21 mpg ? seemed low to me?

my 1.6T averages 27 ish around town (computer shows average 15mph) - but thats pretty hard driving - I'm a bit heavy with my right foot - so I was surprised to hear 21mpg from the ST ?

From what I understand Ford fixed the issue from later 2008 builds onwards. Whether that was fixed by a design change or tightened quality controls has never been officially confirmed that I know of. Could be related to sharing a new cylinder liner coating process introduced for the RS engines but again I don't think that was ever officially confirmed by Ford. Lot of opinions on the internet make it harder to sort the facts out.

I'd say that any cars prone to liner failure would have suffered from it by now so as long as you know the warning signs in the event of someone trying to shift a car already suffering from the problem you should be ok.

Facelift cars have shallower water channels between the cylinders, but they still crack.

what sort of mpg do people get with their 2.0T STs ? I was tempted to give my 182 Focus to my wife next year (fantastic car but you can never have enough power ...) - and buy myself a ST. But a friend has bought one recently - 10k miles on the clock - 12 mile-ish commute to work (mostly straight-ish A-roads)- and hes averaging 21 mpg ? seemed low to me?

my 1.6T averages 27 ish around town (computer shows average 15mph) - but thats pretty hard driving - I'm a bit heavy with my right foot - so I was surprised to hear 21mpg from the ST ?

My facelift ST 2.0 averages 24-26mpg around Milton Keynes, a steady motorway trip will see about 35mpg.

That said the facelift has start-stop, which the original MK3 ST's didn't which I guess helps quite a bit in slow traffic.

My wife gets 33ish from her mk 3 st (prefacelift) I guess she has quite a light foot. When I picked it up I only managed about 39 cruising at 70. I think the Ford figures are a blatent lie tho. Interesting average mpg seems to have improved since Feb when we got it so I don't know if previous owner was using craps fuel as it only gets filled with regular unleaded.

Edited to add she doesn't actually do much high speed driving, but at less than 30mph average mpg drops a lot.

My mrk3 pre facelift is currently showing an average of 35mpg, but I have just come back from driving a round trip to North Wales.

Back to work on Monday so daily 36 mile round trip up the M1 and that will drop to 33mpg.

Got my ST back after a respray. I've been driving a few motors over the last few weeks on loan, I forgot how nice these cars drive!!! :) Nearly 10 and still feels lovely, missed that noise too :)

focuspainted.jpg

Thanks guys. Wheels done at the same time yup. It turned out OK all in all. I wouldn't have a car resprayed again though lol. It was terrible before though so overall, needs must with this car.

Love the wheel colour myself :) I thought it'd be a nice touch to do the ST side badges and fog light surround rim things the same.

What are the Uniroyals like on the front? I just replaced the rears with some as they were a good price and wondering if I should do the same to the front as they'll be due by winter.

I've not really given it serious death yet but so far so good, better than the FK453's that were on there before :) Better traction in lower gears and seems to hold on OK in the corners but not pushed them really yet.

Got a bit of a shopping list going. Thinking of going:

Dreamscience CAIS
Airtec Stage 2 Gen 3 Intercooler
AS Performance Inlet Manifold (Orange)
Revo Stage 2 Map

I already have a KMS Thunderstorm exhaust with 200 cell sports cat. My question here is two fold:

With all of the above, what is the likelihood of needing an RS clutch? The clutch in my car was replaced not long ago but with an ST clutch again (previous owner), would it be a case of "do the mods and if it starts slipping have the cash on hand to do the RS clutch"?

Block Mod: Another case of "it may never happen"? More likely to happen the more you mod it but I don't think what I have listed above is extreme in any way, maybe pushing 290/300BHP when it's all done.

Got a bit of a shopping list going. Thinking of going:

Dreamscience CAIS
Airtec Stage 2 Gen 3 Intercooler
AS Performance Inlet Manifold (Orange)
Revo Stage 2 Map

I already have a KMS Thunderstorm exhaust with 200 cell sports cat. My question here is two fold:

With all of the above, what is the likelihood of needing an RS clutch? The clutch in my car was replaced not long ago but with an ST clutch again (previous owner), would it be a case of "do the mods and if it starts slipping have the cash on hand to do the RS clutch"?

Block Mod: Another case of "it may never happen"? More likely to happen the more you mod it but I don't think what I have listed above is extreme in any way, maybe pushing 290/300BHP when it's all done.

I'm assuming you have a 2.75/3" downpipe as well?

In terms of RS clutch I had bluefin stage 1 put on my car @ 30k miles and the clutch lasted 3 days. It's a complete lottery on whether it'll last a decent amount of time, but I'd budget for one in the future as eventually they do go.

Block Mod I haven't got and haven't had liner issues with Bluefin Stage 3 (280-90 bhpish) for the year it's been running on the car. It's something I plan on doing at the end of the year/next year as the car is now 8 years and I'm looking to get the belts done.

For some people the thought that the liners have a small possibility to go is enough to stop them from sleeping and will get it done ASAP. Personally I'd wait until it makes financial sense (like when the belts need changing) as from looking online more often than not the block mod usually fixes a small crack if you're unlucky.

I'm assuming you have a 2.75/3" downpipe as well?

In terms of RS clutch I had bluefin stage 1 put on my car @ 30k miles and the clutch lasted 3 days. It's a complete lottery on whether it'll last a decent amount of time, but I'd budget for one in the future as eventually they do go.

Block Mod I haven't got and haven't had liner issues with Bluefin Stage 3 (280-90 bhpish) for the year it's been running on the car. It's something I plan on doing at the end of the year/next year as the car is now 8 years and I'm looking to get the belts done.

For some people the thought that the liners have a small possibility to go is enough to stop them from sleeping and will get it done ASAP. Personally I'd wait until it makes financial sense (like when the belts need changing) as from looking online more often than not the block mod usually fixes a small crack if you're unlucky.

Honestly, I don't know about the downpipe. I will find out. I only got so much information from the previous owner and that was before I knew all the questions to ask when thinking about modding.

Previous owner had all the belts done @ 66k miles (car is now on just over 70k) so almost seems a waste to do them again for the block mod hehe.

I am just wondering if I should spend the money I have right now on the block mod and clutch as then I have a solid "base" to work with. BD Performance seem to have the best deal on this for £1349:

http://store.bdperformance.co.uk/index.php?id_product=538&controller=product&id_lang=1

They are in Wrexham and I am in Watford so a fair trip and will have to spend the night, so £1500 all up but is still quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I have found.

Then when I have the money do the mods I mentioned above. That is dropping ~£3k on a £6.5k 9 year old car... is it worth it? Such decisions.

It is a lot of money. Luckily I bought mine pre-modded as now I've got one with the potential for 3 major bills with iffy driveshafts, clutch and fly, block mod... I would probably not buy another one lol.

I'm reluctant to open up my engine for the block mod as it seems fine. I have an AS induction kit, Airtec intercooler, 3" downpipe, sports cat, mongoose cat back, collins 280bhp map. Clutch has been perfect for me since I've had it and it ran a few thou miles with the prev owner with no issues. Pot luck :) It's a torquey motor but copes fine.

Picked mine up today from Midlands Car Care.

When I bought it I overlooked a poor repair on the rear drivers side arch. There was pitting and sanding scratches that had been painted over with a poor colour match, at dusk it was cringe-worthy and very noticeable.

They have done a great job putting it right. I'm over the moon with the work they have done. EO is notorious for being difficult to colour match.

22D914E1-EC26-4AC9-B978-516CC12149B8.jpg

C58E6EE2-DDEE-4C9D-B357-E228F6933BFF.jpg

AC6518CC-9EDC-4FBD-BA10-D66433402A6A.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom