How many Focus ST owners on here

I also read this today on the EO FB page.

Alarm bells would be ringing for me personally but it could be an honest reason for reselling... 24 hours after purchase :confused:

I'd be VERY wary of that. The guy who bought it owned it for all of a day before selling up!

I have been wary, and on reflection decided to leave it. Quite happy with my ST and am having fun tuning and modding it. I'll get a real RS one day.

I also read this today on the EO FB page.

Alarm bells would be ringing for me personally but it could be an honest reason for reselling... 24 hours after purchase :confused:

Apparently his Mrs flipped (he didn't tell her he was spending £12k?) as they are meant to be saving for a house. Decided to leave it anyway as there was too much that didn't add up. A lot of people surfaced saying he only paid just over £9k for it and now wanted to sell it for £12k. Shortly after that he deleted the entire post. Walk away...

Last edited:
Doesn't mean its a bad leak. On my last MOT the tester commented on a seal on my gearbox weeping. My mechanic said it really isn't a problem and will be changed whenever it needs a clutch.

There are definitely not pools of oil under my car xD

Funny enough I've just rang him about it and he said it was some kind of gearbox oil leak also! And it flagged up on the mot because there was still oil residue from when it was leaking originally and they have to put it down as an advisory :confused: does that sound right?

Sounds a bit iffy... unless you can take a good mechanic friend to poke around there's loads out there for sale :)

I also saw that Orange RS rep had been owned for a day. Deffo one to avoid, no one buys a car like that for one day and lets their missus tell them what to do, they sell their missus instead!

Funny enough I've just rang him about it and he said it was some kind of gearbox oil leak also! And it flagged up on the mot because there was still oil residue from when it was leaking originally and they have to put it down as an advisory :confused: does that sound right?

Sounds about right to be honest. Drive it and see what the box feels like, mines still great. Over time you are going to get seals which start to degrade a bit, just part and parcel of the materials. As long as its not bleeding fluid I cannot see the problem. But then I trust my mechanic ;) Good the seller is being honest to be fair, mention oil leak and people instantly think things are going to implode.

Silly really, my merc went through 2 MOT's with oil weeping from the rocker covers onto the manifolds and never got picked up.

Sounds about right to be honest. Drive it and see what the box feels like, mines still great. Over time you are going to get seals which start to degrade a bit, just part and parcel of the materials. As long as its not bleeding fluid I cannot see the problem. But then I trust my mechanic ;). Good the seller is being honest to be fair, mention oil leak and people instantly think things are going to implode.

Silly really, my merc went through 2 MOT's with oil weeping from the rocker covers onto the manifolds and never got picked up.

Could just be the driveshaft oil seals, tiny job.

Sounds a bit iffy... unless you can take a good mechanic friend to poke around there's loads out there for sale :)!
Well went to look at it and the guy was moaning as I was picking faults with it. And the passenger door had been resprayed. Then he proceeds to have a full on argument over the phone threatening some guy while I'm stood there :eek:
Then he took me out and ragged it from cold.
Couple questions from what I noticed about the ST225:
Is the clutch supposed to feel really light? And the gearbox felt overly smooth like I couldn't feel it clicking into gear. Can't believe how close 3rd and 5th are. Have to say though they are very quick! Noticeably quicker than my ST220 to 60.

Well went to look at it and the guy was moaning as I was picking faults with it. And the passenger door had been resprayed. Then he proceeds to have a full on argument over the phone threatening some guy while I'm stood there :eek:
Then he took me out and ragged it from cold.
Couple questions from what I noticed about the ST225:
Is the clutch supposed to feel really light? And the gearbox felt overly smooth like I couldn't feel it clicking into gear. Can't believe how close 3rd and 5th are. Have to say though they are very quick! Noticeably quicker than my ST220 to 60.

:p I would be walking away from that one. :o

:p I would be walking away from that one. :o

I couldn't get out fast enough :D. as he was screaming at this guy down the phone. He was rather sharp with me aswell when i was asking what had happened to the door and why the side skirt was coming away.
he had the attitude of its only 5k so why pick faults with it.

For all you mk 3 st owners, what with the ridiculous turning circle I measured that you only get about 1.75 turns of the wheel lock to lock. All the cars I've been in have around 3. My wife dislikes parking because of it.

Mines got a very smooth gearbox also and quite a light clutch pedal, not overly so but not heavy. I've had mine back finally with a decent job on the paint and I've missed how brilliant a drive it is for a daily and of course near on 300BHP after driving 60BHP's worth of non-power-assisted-anything-Pug-106 is sweet.

Mines got a very smooth gearbox also and quite a light clutch pedal, not overly so but not heavy. I've had mine back finally with a decent job on the paint and I've missed how brilliant a drive it is for a daily and of course near on 300BHP after driving 60BHP's worth of non-power-assisted-anything-Pug-106 is sweet.
Get some pics up of your new paint job :)
Yeh I was surprised how light the gears where. The gearbox almost feels fragile and it didn't down gear very well compared to my 220.
It seems they are a hard car to shift when selling private. I've been offered the one I viewed for 4.7k and another 2006 1 owner with 70k on for 5k as the owners haven't had anyone even come view the cars

Not impressed with Pumabuild in the slightest. Went to see them to get various tinted lights (they offer free fitting of those lights) and at the same time got them to fit some tinted tail lights I purchased. They took over an hour to do this and as I had another appointment to get to I legged it out of there on completion. School boy error. It seems they dropped one of the tail lights as it is smashed on the bottom and not a word was said to me. Surely if a customer supplied a part for fitting and you come to fit it, if it was damaged you would immediately bring it to the customers attention? If nothing else but to divert blame? Anyway, I know I have 0 come back as I did not inspect before leaving so, meh.

Anyway, I get home and take the old tail lights out the boot (they were in the box the new tail lights arrived in) and discover that the other lights they replaced with tinted ones (rear fog/reverse lights and wing indicators) they did not give me back. Surely you give the customer back what belongs to them?

Sorry for the rant but I drove 2 hours each way to go see them and am appalled by the service I have received.

Pumabuild have long had a poor reputation, I know when I had my fiesta St I considered them for work on my car as they are relatively local, but the horror stories put me off. Not heard many good things about them, or pumaspeed either for that matter!

It seems they are a hard car to shift when selling private. I've been offered the one I viewed for 4.7k and another 2006 1 owner with 70k on for 5k as the owners haven't had anyone even come view the cars

If that is the case surely it's just people asking for too much money? I keep seeing comments about how well they have held their value, but if people are mostly struggling to sell cars at this price they are surely plucking an unrealistic number out of the air?

Useful to know though, I need to look into finding some money then I think I'll be out to buy one, hopefully at a nice discount! :D

Most people are overpricing them big time. Especially dealerships.
I've just bought a 2006 ST225 Focus with 70k on. Full Ford service history last serviced 2 months ago. 1 owner in his 60's from new! For 5k :eek:
I'm not getting on with it so far. I'm not sure about the Turbo power delivery compared to the smooth 3.0 V6 that was in my Mondeo ST

Back
Top Bottom