How many Focus ST owners on here

Nice price, sounds a bargain! Where in the country are you for reference? Cars always seem more expensive in the South West when I'm looking on Pistonheads/Autotrader. The one I've eyeballed is up for £6300, higher mileage than yours and looks to be in good nick, but the idea of knocking that down well over a grand justseems absurd to me.

Pumabuild have long had a poor reputation, I know when I had my fiesta St I considered them for work on my car as they are relatively local, but the horror stories put me off. Not heard many good things about them, or pumaspeed either for that matter!

I only had word of mouth (Facebook groups) and their own Facebook page with a 4.4 star rating (125 reviews) to go on. Certainly won't be getting my repeat business and I will bad mouth them at every turn, should they come up in conversation.

BD Performance are fast going that way too. I know they have had legitimate issues (electrical fault in the garage, fire, Darren's wife is heavily pregnant and he has been unavailable due to hospital visits etc) but I paid a deposit for the work I wanted done at the beginning of July and I am still waiting to get booked in to get it done. Getting him on the phone was hard enough for a while let alone a call back or an update.

My first foray into the world of cars and tuning and it is putting me right off.

Nice price, sounds a bargain! Where in the country are you for reference? Cars always seem more expensive in the South West when I'm looking on Pistonheads/Autotrader. The one I've eyeballed is up for £6300, higher mileage than yours and looks to be in good nick, but the idea of knocking that down well over a grand justseems absurd to me.
I'm in the north west and travelled 2hrs to York for mine. It was just too good to pass up with the guy being in his 60's and having owned it since new.
If your buying the ST225 try and buy private so u can see the seller and see how he treats it etc. there's some bargains to be had private as they seem hard to sell as I think most people spending 5k plus want it on finance.
The few dealerships i rang in the past none of them would budge on the inflated price's and it seems they still sell them even though most will charge 6k for what I've just paid 5k for.

5k aint a bad price if it's a nice tidy well maintained motor.

Is it standard? They feel totally different with a map and you get a nice big shove mid range... you'll learn to love it :) They're by far from the pinnacle of fun to me but for a daily they're smooth and effortless which is nice.

5K is a good price!

I go off we buy any car for the value - currently they are offering me £6900, for an 07 plate on 50,000 miles! I only paid £7200 for it one year ago and it had brand new tyres, disks, pads and oil filter housing

I wouldn't touch pumabuild, pumaspeed, or jamsport with a ****** stick personally, outside of my mate working on my car I would only trust collins to work on it.

Also; just bought the rest of the samco's for my car :p

I only had word of mouth (Facebook groups) and their own Facebook page with a 4.4 star rating (125 reviews) to go on. Certainly won't be getting my repeat business and I will bad mouth them at every turn, should they come up in conversation.

BD Performance are fast going that way too. I know they have had legitimate issues (electrical fault in the garage, fire, Darren's wife is heavily pregnant and he has been unavailable due to hospital visits etc) but I paid a deposit for the work I wanted done at the beginning of July and I am still waiting to get booked in to get it done. Getting him on the phone was hard enough for a while let alone a call back or an update.

My first foray into the world of cars and tuning and it is putting me right off.

Where are you based?

Wouldn't touch that useless piece of lard with a Lepper's barge pole.

Pretty sure it was your post on STOC where you were going to go over to his stall at Ford Fest and "give him a piece of your mind"?

Again, I went by reviews and word of mouth. All of them singing praise. Now I am wrapped up in him by £2k and no sign of a go date. Even when I get a go date I am starting to wonder if my car will end up in a wall (they drove some guy on Facebook's car into a wall once they had completed the work) or if the work will be sub-par.

*sigh*

5k aint a bad price if it's a nice tidy well maintained motor.

Is it standard? They feel totally different with a map and you get a nice big shove mid range... you'll learn to love it :) They're by far from the pinnacle of fun to me but for a daily they're smooth and effortless which is nice.

Yes it's very well maintained with full Ford s/h. Everything standard on it. Old guy had it since new and only used it to ferry his grandkids around over the last few years so it's had an easy life compared to most ST's. He was happy with 5k so was a great deal. Even we buy any crap offered him 4750 and there known for low balling.
Just a few questions I have about the ST225. I've noticed once the turbo bar hits maximum on the 1/2 bar the acceleration is crap after that so its pretty useless after 4-5k revs. Is that normal? And does the turbo bar normally go back down to the bottom when accelerating on and off unless flooring it where it stays at the top?
Also one or two tyres need replacing soon and I've noticed over 60mph the steering wheel judders! Shall I get the tyres changed and wheel alignment done? Or could it be driveshafts?

A standard car should boost to just over half on the gauge, and sit at around half

The ST seems very sensitive to tyres, mine came with some budget tyres, and caused vibrations, even though they were balanced 3 times. Once I changed to Eagle AS2 tyres it transformed the handling of the car.

You may find the lower wishbone bushes need replacing at some point too

A standard car should boost to just over half on the gauge, and sit at around half

The ST seems very sensitive to tyres, mine came with some budget tyres, and caused vibrations, even though they were balanced 3 times. Once I changed to Eagle AS2 tyres it transformed the handling of the car.

You may find the lower wishbone bushes need replacing at some point too

I think my boost needle goes all the way to the top near enough then change gear and it drops down to the bottom and shoots back up when accelerating. Noticed that at around higher motorway speeds in 6th it's boosting nearly fully and stays there then the acceleration seems slow once the boost has gone in 6th
Also is it normal trying to accelerate hard in 1st, 2nd 3rd for the wheels to feel like they can't grip and the car struggles to going past 4k revs unless you change gear?

I think my boost needle goes all the way to the top near enough then change gear and it drops down to the bottom and shoots back up when accelerating. Noticed that at around higher motorway speeds in 6th it's boosting nearly fully and stays there then the acceleration seems slow once the boost has gone in 6th

If it boosts to full, 1.2psi, then it is mapped.

Also is it normal trying to accelerate hard in 1st, 2nd 3rd for the wheels to feel like they can't grip and the car struggles to going past 4k revs unless you change gear?

Traction control kicking in probably. What tyres has it got?

Traction control kicking in probably. What tyres has it got?

I've got esp turned off and it's the same with it on though. It's almost like the wheels lock up trying to put the power down on full boost at about 4k+ revs. It's got continental sport on the fronts and a make I've never heard of on the back

Have a look on the dreamscience website, it'll show you where the power band is, but it's normal to feel the power drop off before the rev limit.

And once boost has gone in 6th you'll be going well over 120mph!

If it's boosting to the top then it's been remapped

Just thought about all the stuff I have for my car so my to do list on the car is:

Airtec Radiator
Spec-R Header Tank
Samco Coolant Hoses
Samco Turbo Hoses
Samco Heater Hoses
Samco Induction Hoses
Pro Alloy Intercooler & Hard Pipe Kit
Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Bush
Powerflex Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Powerflex Front Lower Wishbone Front Bushes
Anembo Torque Mount
Mountune Fuel Pump
Siemens Fuel Injectors
Powdercoated Standard Brakes
HEL Braided Brake Lines
Collins Turbo Actuator
Anembo Billet Inlet Manifold Plenum

:eek:

Just thought about all the stuff I have for my car so my to do list on the car is:

Airtec Radiator
Spec-R Header Tank
Samco Coolant Hoses
Samco Turbo Hoses
Samco Heater Hoses
Samco Induction Hoses
Pro Alloy Intercooler & Hard Pipe Kit
Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Bush
Powerflex Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Powerflex Front Lower Wishbone Front Bushes
Anembo Torque Mount
Mountune Fuel Pump
Siemens Fuel Injectors
Powdercoated Standard Brakes
HEL Braided Brake Lines
Collins Turbo Actuator
Anembo Billet Inlet Manifold Plenum

:eek:

£20 says the list won't stop growing until you sell it ;)

Back
Top Bottom