How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
If the interval is 10yrs/100K then you should get it done whichever you reach first - some service items can be as much age related as mileage.

Mine had it's 5 year service at Collins Performance back in March with around 50K on the clock with recommendation from Gary to have the belts done next service - I don't argue with him on stuff like that. Ended up jumping the gun slightly as they are all replaced as part of the block mod with CP340 kit.

Can depend on the remap as to how much longer your clutch would last, some don't put the clutch under much more stress compared to others and even then you may just get a small amount of slip which is quite possible to live with for several years before it gets worse enough to be a real problem.

Ideally if you're getting the belts done then that would be good time for the clutch too as some of the dismantling needed is common to both.

Soldato
Think i best get it done then with it approaching 10yrs in January. Shouldn't be talking more than £250 at an indie should I for the kit and Waterpump fitted?
Also I've heard that Collins performance are one of the best for ST remapping/mods but I'm in Merseyside is there any other's that are a little closer that anyone can recommend?

Soldato
BD performance might be a little closer, can't recommend them personally though - never used them.
I'll have a look for some reviews on them :) they are a little closer about 35 miles away I think compared to 50 miles for Collins. How long would I have to leave the car with someone for a remap :confused:

Associate
Can't say how much it would cost for the belt kit and labour, but would definitely recommend the extra miles to get down to Collins - their work is spot on and Gary has done the belt job tons of times so has all the tools for locking off the cams etc plus knows exactly what parts need coming off and in what order - if an indie place hasn't done the job on an ST before it's bound to take them longer.

Remap can be done in an hour or less with the ST as it'll just be a case of plugging in laptop or handset to the ODB port. Possibly it takes 30 mins for first time a map is flashed in then literally minutes each time after that.

Soldato
Oil filter housing diaphragm failed on mine last night about 40 miles from home. Nursed it back off boost at 45mph max on the motorway and hoping I've not done any damage to the cam seals, hopefully not. As it was getting a pasting before I pulled to a stop at some lights and heard the dreaded noise...

Got to get it to the garage now as well! Nightmare as I do 7:30am till 6:30pm in the week so luckily got my mechanic opening up today (Sunday) so I can drop it off.

Making me think now I work the longer hours I may get rid and get something new with warranty due to the inconvenience of not having a car to hand, work with courtesy cars in theory then, so a new Fiesta ST may make the most sense for me soon.

Soldato
Think i best get it done then with it approaching 10yrs in January. Shouldn't be talking more than £250 at an indie should I for the kit and Waterpump fitted?
Also I've heard that Collins performance are one of the best for ST remapping/mods but I'm in Merseyside is there any other's that are a little closer that anyone can recommend?

I'd avoid BD like the plague, bunch of robbing *******s.

If you go to Collins Gary will take the car out for a quick spin and some data logging to ensure everything is OK, then it'll be updated to 7BUG if it needs it and then mapped, then data logged again. Whole process took about 30-45 minutes which included a tour round the place :) Martin Collins has forgotten more about the ST/RS marque than BD has ever known. They're WELL worth the extra 20 minutes or whatever it would take to get there.

Although Ford recommend 125K/10 years there have been several examples of aux belts snapping long before that and wrapping itself round the cam belt. Get the cambelt and both aux belts done ASAP.

What is people's view on using a bluefin on a new St while still under warranty? Seems to offer a nice bump in power while being able to remove for servicing.

Depends on if you're referring to the Mk2 or Mk3?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info! I will definitely use Collins then when I come to get it mapped then.
What are those plug in Bluefin's like that I've seen on eBay a lot? That are able to be set up and removed by the driver without the need of a garage :confused:
Also another niggle I have don't know if anyone can shed some light as I can't get to a garage till the end of next week. When turning left going above say 30mph or turning up slip roads to join the motorway etc there's a scraping/grinding sound coming from the passenger front wheel which carries on Untill I straighten the wheel up. Sound is like if you where to scrape your alloys along a kirb! Could it be wheel bearing or driveshaft on that side perhaps? Will a garage be able to diagnose by looking as it doesn't happen all the time.

Soldato
Bluefin are excellent and very well thought-of. You might not get quite as high a figure as a "custom" remap but they're an excellent simple, safe, reversible remap.

Had mine on for over a year without any issues at all.

Soldato
Bluefin are excellent and very well thought-of. You might not get quite as high a figure as a "custom" remap but they're an excellent simple, safe, reversible remap.

Had mine on for over a year without any issues at all.

Have u noticed a noticeable difference with it acceleration wise? Does your mk4 feel faster than your old ST220 with the Bluefin? I might start keeping an eye out for a mk4 Mondeo 2.5T again after Christmas I just find the interior and drive quality of the Focus lacking even compared to my old ST220.

Soldato
Hmm I'm really tempted to order one. Just unsure about if ford will tell come service or warranty if I were to remove it for them.

For the those who don't read other threads I ordered a st3 petrol estate in stealth with black style pack, privacy glass, premium nav and heated wheel for delivery in Feb. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Associate
I have from new a 56 reg panther black 5 door version, Volvo 2.5 turbo engine. Chipped to 250bhp with a full service history. 38 k miles on it only, I love driving it but I just don't have the time now with work commitments etc.

Wife wants to me to trade it in for a range rover sport :o

Last edited:
Associate
Did you notice much of a difference pre to post chip?

Yep, it certainly does make a difference. It takes off 0-60 a LOT quicker but the down side of it I seem to get on average 20-23 mpg on an already smallish fuel tank.

The rest of the car is stock. Ill try and post a few pictures when I'm back home if I remember, its collecting dust on the drive at the moment as my wife hates to drive it so she drives her car instead.

Debating to get the new RS when it comes out next year but I'm getting older now so something a little bit more refined, but with the power would be nice.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the info! I will definitely use Collins then when I come to get it mapped then.
What are those plug in Bluefin's like that I've seen on eBay a lot? That are able to be set up and removed by the driver without the need of a garage :confused:
Also another niggle I have don't know if anyone can shed some light as I can't get to a garage till the end of next week. When turning left going above say 30mph or turning up slip roads to join the motorway etc there's a scraping/grinding sound coming from the passenger front wheel which carries on Untill I straighten the wheel up. Sound is like if you where to scrape your alloys along a kirb! Could it be wheel bearing or driveshaft on that side perhaps? Will a garage be able to diagnose by looking as it doesn't happen all the time.
The remap handset systems are really good, especially if there is a need to take the map off again, or if there is a selection of maps available you can chop and change to see which you like best. I used to do that with my last ST but once I went to Collins maps on the mk2 facelift I didn't look back really. Massive difference in character compared to your Bluefin/Mountune type maps, a lot more linear in response across the whole rev range.

For your noise coming from the front passenger side I'd suggest having the CV joint checked, the gaiters can perish over time and if the grease has come out that'll definitely lead to the joint expiring. From memory I think the drivers side outer gaiter is usually the favourite to fail. Also worth checking if the ESP light is activating, indicating an ESP intervention. This can happen if there's a mismatch in tyre wear or brands front to rear and not always obvious as the indication on the dash can be hidden by the steering wheel when you've got it turned.

Soldato
My family ST estate now has thule black wingbars and a custom home screen! none of this remapping for me. You can fit loads in the back too!

2015-10-31%2022.35.00.jpg

2015-11-01%2021.47.09.jpg

2015-10-25%2008.19.13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom