How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
The remap handset systems are really good, especially if there is a need to take the map off again, or if there is a selection of maps available you can chop and change to see which you like best. I used to do that with my last ST but once I went to Collins maps on the mk2 facelift I didn't look back really. Massive difference in character compared to your Bluefin/Mountune type maps, a lot more linear in response across the whole rev range.

For your noise coming from the front passenger side I'd suggest having the CV joint checked, the gaiters can perish over time and if the grease has come out that'll definitely lead to the joint expiring. From memory I think the drivers side outer gaiter is usually the favourite to fail. Also worth checking if the ESP light is activating, indicating an ESP intervention. This can happen if there's a mismatch in tyre wear or brands front to rear and not always obvious as the indication on the dash can be hidden by the steering wheel when you've got it turned.
Funny you should mention the Esp light! I have the Esp turned off and the last time I was going up a slip road bearing left and it was making the scraping sound the esp skidding symbol light flashed up on the dash.
Will that be because i have different brands of tyres on? A few need changing but how would that cause the scraping sound?
The steering wheel vibrates at 60+mph also on the motorway could the tracking be out? As I'm going to get new tyres all round soon anyway.

Associate
From what I've been told, even with the ESP turned off on the button it still activates to a limited extent. The scraping sound is an effect of the system operating, you get similar when the ABS kicks in - try this in the snow and you'll see what it sounds like. The ABS modulator lives in the front left side of the engine bay, mounted right onto the bulkhead so that ties in with where you're hearing the noise from.

With different brands of tyre and possibly also different rates of wear this can lead to enough of a difference in rolling circumferences for the system trigger an intervention due to the differential in wheel speeds. I had exactly the same when running new Falken 452 rears vs worn oem fronts on ST #1 on curving sliproads - different brands of tyre measure up differently even for the same nominal size stamped onto the sidewall. Throw in some wear and this can be enough to trigger the ESP in certain cornering situations.

The steering vibration would be more likely down to wheel balancing I'd say, I get some with my car but it's not enough to worry me - there can also be an issue known as steering shimmy which is a lot more difficult to fix than simply with wheel balancing.

Soldato
Looks like I can just about afford CP340 finally. I had to move house recently so put all my spare cash into that. What is left I can use for CP340. Had to cut back on a few things but I think the mod list is looking quite good.

Block Mod & RS Clutch
MFactory Diff & TIMKEN Bearings
Airtec Stage2 Gen3 Intercooler
Dreamscience CAIS
3" turbo back KMS Thunderstorm (Already fitted)
TurboSmart Dual-Port Kompact Shortie Dump Valve
Collins Actuator
RS Injectors
CP340 software

Looking at some second hand BC BR coilovers with 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers. Excited :)

Soldato
Looks like I can just about afford CP340 finally. I had to move house recently so put all my spare cash into that. What is left I can use for CP340. Had to cut back on a few things but I think the mod list is looking quite good.

Block Mod & RS Clutch
Dreamscience CAIS
Collins Actuator
RS Injectors
CP340 software

Looking at some second hand BC BR coilovers with 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers. Excited :)

Please give me a shout once it's done! I need to see this :)

Soldato
Please give me a shout once it's done! I need to see this :)

I don't want to jinx it and say "it will be done before Christmas" as I have been waiting since what, June, for this to be done. However, it will be done before Christmas :p

Lol not a cheap list, but sounds good! :)

I had a bunch of stuff like an AS plenum, complete silicon hose replacement, uprated boost control solenoid (which I decided against anyway, £120 for a magnetic on/off switch? Whaaaaaat) Bonnet lifter kit (The hydraulic ones, not the ones that make your bonnet look like it's always open) blah blah blah. So I cut it down to items that actually do something as opposed to aesthetics or a 1BHP increase heh.

Last edited:
Soldato

Block Mod & RS Clutch
Dreamscience CAIS
Collins Actuator
RS Injectors
CP340 software

That should be amusing!

But, wouldn't that be almost RS money? I'm at CP320 (minus the intake) which is a good amount of bang per buck.

Associate
That's a fair decent shopping list you've got there :D

If you're getting the clutch done that makes the diff an easier choice as it's perhaps an extra hour labour on top of the main job.

Are you getting it all done at Collins? you'll be there a while getting all of that done - was an all day job doing the block mod and actuator on mine, already had the RS injectors fitted which saved some time which took up with doing an oil change as part of the job.

CP340 is fun - fair bit more pokey than the CP320 but still nice and progressive so doesn't just blow the tyres away in the wet. Unless you want it to ;)

Soldato
I am going to BD Performance in Wrexham, will be there 2 days, possibly 3.

Coming from a stock car besides a dump valve and exhaust system, I am expecting some good things from this! :D

Soldato
Hmmmm you may find yourself grinning from ear to ear occasionally :D

And wanting better brakes ;)

What sort of spec is your ST in the chassis department?

It's a MK2 PFL. Front end has been polybushed according to the previous owner. That's it though. Hence looking at the BC BR coilovers. When money permits I will invest in a RARB, engine/gearbox mounts and whatever else may be beneficial.

Soldato
Is the engine really at its end power potential?? Would have thought the 2.3 would be able to hit 400bhp with not much more than a remap?

Associate
31.9mpg over 700 odd miles... ticked 70k this morning and the engine came on 1 mile later :o Friday 13th Blues! Probably the decat but need to procure a code reader :)

I picked one up off Amazon for not much more than a tenner - it just lives in the boot of the car now if I need it for anything. Similar one here on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191590427210?adgroupid=13936810266&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-124296812946&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=220881786&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

Had new belts on mine recently - all came as part of a kit with the belts and new tensioners etc. Think the second belt is for AC pump I believe.

Back
Top Bottom