How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
Does anyone else's heat shields rattle underneath the car? Can they be taken off? As my mechanic said they look rotted and doesn't think they can be secured enough to stop that annoying vibrating rattle :(
Also I'm getting my car serviced in a few weeks is it worth the extra for the K&N air filter in the service kit? And shall I get the RS spark plugs for my ST225? Some on eBay are selling service kits with 4x spark plugs and others with 5x spark plugs which I dont understand :confused:

Soldato
If they're rattling and can't be secured get them removed. Can buy new ones from Ford if you wanted but generally not required.

Yes buy a panel filter or look at Mountune or other aftermarket filters

Yes use RS plugs, better quality and can be had cheap. Need 5 - no idea why some sellers advertise 4..!

What's your plans power wise? Can recommend Collins Performance :)

Also, don't fall foul of people saying use RS spec oil as the engine is different and you don't need to change it and most importantly shouldn't! Misconception that it'll be better for the engine but it won't and ultimately will cause problems long term.

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
If they're rattling and can't be secured get them removed. Can buy new ones from Ford if you wanted but generally not required.

Yes buy a panel filter or look at Mountune or other aftermarket filters

Yes use RS plugs, better quality and can be had cheap. Need 5 - no idea why some sellers advertise 4..!

What's your plans power wise? Can recommend Collins Performance :)

Also, don't fall foul of people saying use RS spec oil as the engine is different and you don't need to change it and most importantly shouldn't! Misconception that it'll be better for the engine but it won't and ultimately will cause problems long term.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for the info! I'll get them removed then. Is it best to run the ST225 on a certain type of oil when I change it? How many litres will I need?
Power wise it's too far to go for Collins performance is 50 miles away. So once it's Mot'd and services in a few weeks I'm either going to get a Revo map from Riverside racing at around £300 or the handheld Bluefin which is £350. I know most ST owners recommend a better Intercooler with a map but my mechanic thinks it's not needed as it might cause lag :confused:

Associate
Rattling heatshields are usually caused by the heatshields corroding around the edge of the large nut/washers which hold them in place - typical fix is a larger piece of heatshield-type aluminium or bigger washer to go under the original washer to take up the slack. Wouldn't recommend removing them as you'll need to drop the exhaust backbox to do that, more work involved than re-fixing them imho.

ST typically takes around 6.5L of oil, been using the RS spec Castrol in mine for several years now with no issues at all - Gary at Collins has never raised any issues with it not being suitable for the ST engine and has happily done the honours for me at service time.

With the 'RS' plugs don't be surprised if the ones you take out of your engine have the same part number, the original factory fit plugs are identical - it's only the Ford service part numbers which differ for whatever reason. Course there shouldn't be many 5-pot ST's left now with the original factory plugs fitted ;)

Nothing wrong with getting an intercooler fitted, while a bog standard stage 1 map may not take advantage of it, Superchips upgrade maps will do and I can't see Revo being any different - they're both very well established products with range of maps for different spec cars. You shouldn't have any problems at all with lag.

Out on bike ride today I got a shock seeing an RS in a dealer's window marked up for £27K :eek:

Soldato
50 miles is nothing you can be there within an hour :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to get long term, the idea was a Fiesta ST but I pretty much now have a house deposit in my hand so... sensible head time? lol. I've bought an Astra to run around in. I had it on Pistonheads then some guy came to buy it in the rain whilst it was filthy, totally on a whim, but he was happy and I sold for good money :)

Soldato
Is the Collins performance I Flash at £325 that can be done through connecting my laptop to the car as good as taking it in for them to do it? Am I right in thinking they will put it on a rolling road if I take it to them to check the power gains rather than the plug in option I can do myself but will have no Bhp output figures to go off.

Soldato
So is it the same thing if I just buy the flash version rather than drive 50 miles for them to map it :confused: Riverside racing i was going to take it to are offering the Revo map for £275 I think at the minute and they rolling road it with printout to show the power increase

Soldato
I think I'm taking mine to Ecotech Performance. Not 100% yet though. They developed a ST (called Hex+) map with Niki at R-Tech. They aren't number chasing maps, aimed at driveabilty. If my vRS remap is/was anything to go by then I'll be a happy chap.

Soldato
I think I'm taking mine to Ecotech Performance. Not 100% yet though. They developed a ST (called Hex+) map with Niki at R-Tech. They aren't number chasing maps, aimed at driveabilty. If my vRS remap is/was anything to go by then I'll be a happy chap.

How do u find the ST compared to your Vrs power wise? I've only had my ST225 4 months and I'm finding it abit of a let down so far. I had a Mondeo ST220 before it and I wouldn't say it's any faster apart from doing 70+ in 5th/6th gear. :( it's just not that exciting to drive considering it's a hot hatch. I'm hoping 4 new tyres and allignment will stop the vibrating wheel and a re map will put a smile on my face abit more lol otherwise I'll start looking for a replacement.

Soldato
I feel much the same at the moment.

The vRS was only 235/300 but it was a brilliant drive. Power on tap in any gear at virtually any rpm. This is what the Focus is missing. I was in two minds to sell to be honest but it's no different to when my vRS was standard. I'm going to get a better intercooler and have it remapped. That should hopefully see a healthy 250-260ish bhp but more importantly improve the driveabilty no end.

Simon at Ecotech is quite honest about power figures if you make an enquiry.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went from a mapped vrs. It's a bit quicker as standard but you notice the lack of low end surge. Any factory map will be like this, is the flat torque curve.

A remap brings it to life, but the clutch will suffer. I recommend Collins to retain drivability, CP320 is great but does require some mods first. I have an intercooler, oversized 100 cell cat, 3" downpipe and nothing else.

Soldato
Yeh I will probably do the same with the remap and Intercooler this month. Mot and Service is also due in a few weeks.
Most owners do say that even the stage 1 remap transforms the ST compared to standard so I'm hoping ll love it a little more once that's done :D

Soldato
So is it the same thing if I just buy the flash version rather than drive 50 miles for them to map it :confused: Riverside racing i was going to take it to are offering the Revo map for £275 I think at the minute and they rolling road it with printout to show the power increase

Yes it's the same thing. Collins won't dyno it unless you pay for it and that's £120 as their dyno is second to none in the UK. It takes around 45 minutes just to get everything prepared for a run!

The Revo tweak thing is just a bit of a gimmick to be honest, the vast majority of cars get set to the same settings anyway. They can stick it on a dyno because it's only a little 2WD thing that takes them 5-10 minutes per car to do.

Back
Top Bottom