How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
I think the £325 for the Collins iFlash includes hardware for you plugging into the OBD port and transferring maps to the car, giving you the flexibility to run different maps/return to standard/valet mode etc

From distant memory it was around £250 when I had their Stage 2 map installed by them, I'd considered having a dyno set-up but Martin & Sue advised it wasn't necessary. And they weren't wrong, 'standard' stage 2 was a superb map imho and updates since then have only been better :D

Compared to my last ST I've never bothered with any dyno runs, can get very pre-occupied chasing peak horsepower figures and losing sight of the fact that there's a massive amount of variation between dyno's and the amount of 'smoke and mirrors' going on with figures once you move away from wheel horsepower ;)

Soldato
Had mine dyno'd a few weeks before getting 420 done on it, will likely get it dyno'd at the next rolling road day to see what the difference and see if everything is running smoothly.

Associate
Had mine dyno'd a few weeks before getting 420 done on it, will likely get it dyno'd at the next rolling road day to see what the difference and see if everything is running smoothly.

Just hope it doesn't end up like Michaels! At least you are running less than half of his power :p How does it feel now you have the 420 map on?

Associate
Yes it's the same thing. Collins won't dyno it unless you pay for it and that's £120 as their dyno is second to none in the UK. It takes around 45 minutes just to get everything prepared for a run!

The Revo tweak thing is just a bit of a gimmick to be honest, the vast majority of cars get set to the same settings anyway. They can stick it on a dyno because it's only a little 2WD thing that takes them 5-10 minutes per car to do.

A decent tuner will test the car on the road to tweak the settings. Depending on tune it's very important they check the AFR and depending on the car and setup they all seem to perform slightly differently. If the tuner doesn't do this I would walk away.

Depending on where you are, if you wanted to go to Revo then go see Pete @ DPC.

Soldato
Just hope it doesn't end up like Michaels! At least you are running less than half of his power :p How does it feel now you have the 420 map on?

So much better, glad I had it done. It just keeps going, I run out of guts long before it runs out of pull and power.

Hit a pothole last night and got a puncture though :(

Associate
Has anyone else got any pointers on what my wheel wobble could be?

I've had it for over a year now. I had new pads in the new year and the garage advised me that the disks aren't warped.

I've had 4 new alloys which hasn't solved it (rear wheel had a noticeable buckle, and the front inside wheel had a small one.

The wheel will wobble at 60-80mph but worse around 35-50mph when under braking, which is leading me to believe that the disks must be warped?
Someone advised me to change my bushes to resolve the above issue, but unfortunately I just haven't had the funds yet. However...

When I put my new alloys on I used the same tyres from the old ones. Shortly after the post I replaced the two fronts and the wobble had gone from all speeds, but still had a little under braking. Then slowly as I did more miles the wobble started to get worse, and started again at cruising speed.

I've just replaced the tyres again and it's back to no wobble, only a little at braking.

Would this make the case to replace the bushes stronger? I'm assuming bad bushes = wobbling anyway but can they also damage the tyre so that it causes wobbling at cruising speed? If so I'll probably have to get them done quickly before they wreck these new tyres...

+edit+ I also noticed that the outside tread had completely gone, where as the rest still had about 2mm left

Last edited:
Associate
It's about 45k, but has been doing it since 32k-ish. It's in for the block mod and service in a couple of weeks so will probably get them to check it out but I'm toying with the idea of getting new lower arms and ball joint so they can fit at the same time. This is going to be an expensive couple of months :(

Associate
It's very easy to check, just jack the car up an see if there is any play in the bushes with a bar.

I upgraded to Hardrace wishbones, Ball joints and drop links, great improvement over the standard set up.

If you're on the St forums you also get discount from Andy at a&k motorsport

Associate
Soldato
Got In my ST to come home before and as I moved off there was a noisy metal scraping/grinding noise when reversing and then in 1st and 2nd. I put it into neutral and revved the engine it didn't seem to be coming from that or the gearbox and wasn't present when lifting the clutch it was as I released the clutch and moved off In 1st then at low speed in 2nd :confused: happened for about 5 mins then stopped. What could it be? I know my undertrays are loose and sometimes rattle but they aren't scraping on the floor so I'm baffled as to what the grinding noise could be ? It continued as I was moving in the first 2 gears.

Soldato
ABS pumps make a nasty grinding noise when you pull off sometimes but don't stay doing whatever they're doing, unless yours is, abs ring fault or something? Or maybe you have the notorious driveshaft faults headed your way.

I aren't sure but get your wallet ready :)

Soldato
:( I've only had my ST 4 months but it always feels like there's niggly problems just waiting to clean my wallet out. My steering wheel vibrates at 50+ mph also which could be driveshafts couldn't it? Are the issues u mentioned above easily checkable by a mechanic? As the grinding sound is on and off.

Soldato
Could be front bushes if never been done and you've had your wheels rebalanced.

I was always waiting for something to break and I never felt like I should be giving it too many beans... I worry a lot though! The more powerful the car, the less grief it can take :D

Soldato
:( I've only had my ST 4 months but it always feels like there's niggly problems just waiting to clean my wallet out. My steering wheel vibrates at 50+ mph also which could be driveshafts couldn't it? Are the issues u mentioned above easily checkable by a mechanic? As the grinding sound is on and off.

I've got a wobble on a boggo focus above 60mph only under braking, had new disks and the wheels balanced. I'm pretty certain it's the lower rear wishbone bushing.

Associate
Rather then start a new thread I'll get some biased feedback here :D

Partner is after a new car and we've decided a focus ST should fit the bill (about the only car we agree on) I'm after a ST3, preferably 60 plate so most of the toys.

I know they're good cars but what should I be looking out for? She does a few thousand a year so petrol shouldn't be an issue.

With ~£10k to spend it opens up a lot of doors to lots of cars, with experience of ownership are there other cars you'd consider in hindsight?

Soldato
For 10.5k u can get a 2013 ST Fiesta which are nearly as fast as the Focus but a newer model and more fun to drive.
Trouble with your 10k budget the Focus ST facelift 2008-2011 is still only a facelift of the 2006 model that I bought for 5k. It's still the same car in every way and I couldn't justify paying 10k for one when a pre facelift 2007 ST3 can be had for 6k.
Have u test drove one yet? They are good cars but a very harsh ride on the 18 inch alloys. But if u want a quick car that's fun to drive then they are a good choice.

Associate
I've never found either of my ST's to handle harshly, my facelift model spends most of it's time on 19's and hence running lower profile tyres (plus lowering springs and sport dampers) and it still feels pliant over the bumps. No complaints here when it's on the 18's either :)

Associate
For 10.5k u can get a 2013 ST Fiesta which are nearly as fast as the Focus but a newer model and more fun to drive.
Trouble with your 10k budget the Focus ST facelift 2008-2011 is still only a facelift of the 2006 model that I bought for 5k. It's still the same car in every way and I couldn't justify paying 10k for one when a pre facelift 2007 ST3 can be had for 6k.
Have u test drove one yet? They are good cars but a very harsh ride on the 18 inch alloys. But if u want a quick car that's fun to drive then they are a good choice.

Kind of understand what you are saying, although the facelift looks entirely different and has a lot more toys.

I've only been a passenger in one but found the ride pretty good for a hot hatch, certainly better then the CTRs ive driven. (Another car we'd considered)

I'd like a fiesta ST but I'm not seeing many for £10k and any that are seem to be the dregs.

Also, the £10k is the upper limit and I'm looking for a decent spec'ed facelift (keyless entry, reversing sensors/camera and non asbo colour) which seems to hover the £8-9k mark.

Back
Top Bottom