How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
It's off my mate, he's been put in a financial difficulty and needs a quick sale. I know the car, and him very well. He just doesn't have the time for it to sell at it's proper price.

Soldato
This is my thinking, it has poke (more so if remapped), sensible on insurance, cheap running and upkeep cost, whilst having all the features you could want. All at a decent price. Kind of ticks all the boxes for me I think.

Must say I am very taken with the yellow/orange diesel. And I'd probably have black wheels.. YOLO!

I did have an ASBO orange ST2 though...

Associate
If that is the case... Jump at it!

But only if you're sure...

I had little doubts, but I know he is genuine. He said the only issue it had was loosing boost or something 5 month ago but that stopped after he tightened up an intercooler hose and hasn't since

Caporegime
I would have very much liked something like that to come up for 2.5K. If it had, I wouldn't have a Corolla. :p

Sure the 'rola is quick, but it doesn't have that beautiful 5 cylinder roar. I don't think it is quite so well screwed together either :(

Associate
My issue is - I currently have a Golf GTD - 50MPG and I do 60 miles per day for work. The Focus gets 22smiles per gallon but is a quater of the value of my golf and only £90 more to insure.

I would sell the golf, as I couldn't justify keeping both at such a high price but I wonder if I should maybe get the Focus, sell the golf and then buy a cheap £1k car for work and back which may not work out too much to insure. But then when I look at insurance and another car to outlook the additional cost of driving this to work, insuring, taxing and servicing two cars maybe it would be cheaper to just have the focus? But then, it's already high miles so in a year it will have another 20K on, is that really going to be reliable?

I'm trying to think realistically, my mind says do it, but then my sensible head says no. I could get an Astra GSI for around £3000 with less miles on. Similar power, spec, mpg etc. Another car I have a soft spot for

Caporegime
In your situation I would keep the GTD and forget about the Focus personally.

The Focus does less than half the distance on the same amount of fuel as you have said. Even though the Focus is worth very little in comparison to your Golf, you would be taking a loss on the Golf due to depreciation, and then pouring more and more money away on petrol driving the Focus - which is already on over 100K miles - and is an unknown beast.

As nice as the Focus is, I don't think it is special enough to keep as a second car only and not drive every day either.

The GTD is a nice car, and no slouch anyway. Especially with a re-map!

Last edited:
Associate
In your situation I would keep the GTD and forget about the Focus personally.

The Focus does less than half the distance on the same amount of fuel as you have said. Even though the Focus is worth very little in comparison to your Golf, you would be taking a loss on the Golf due to depreciation, and then pouring more and more money away on petrol driving the Focus - which is already on over 100K miles - and is an unknown beast.

As nice as the Focus is, I don't think it is special enough to keep as a second car only and not drive every day either.

The GTD is a nice car, and no slouch anyway. Especially with a re-map!

I get your points, but I had been looking to sell the GTD anyway and get a new 'toy' as it's just not quick enough and fun enough for me. I love the car, nice to drive and like you say it is no slouch but it's just not quite as quick as I would like. I miss the noise too!

I think I need to ponder for a while...

Soldato
I get your points, but I had been looking to sell the GTD anyway and get a new 'toy' as it's just not quick enough and fun enough for me. I love the car, nice to drive and like you say it is no slouch but it's just not quite as quick as I would like. I miss the noise too!

I think I need to ponder for a while...

Why not sell the GTD...use the Focus whilst having some cash in the bank and run the focus for a while...at the price you can get it at you will not lose too much cash and will be helping a mate out.

Associate
Why not sell the GTD...use the Focus whilst having some cash in the bank and run the focus for a while...at the price you can get it at you will not lose too much cash and will be helping a mate out.

Yep I suppose it can't harm it for a couple of months, can it?

Associate
Im fairly sure at that price you could run the focus for a year or two, sell it and get your money back... after 2 more years the golf will have depreciated quite a lot

And on a steady run to work you'll probably get around 30mpg

Associate
I do around 20K per year so this time next year it would be on 137-140K.. I risk running into reliability issues at this point maybe? But it's value I assume would decrease significantly

Associate
Well the going rate seems to be around 4k currently, so it can lose another 1.5k over the next year or so and you'll still break even at 2.5k there isn't much more value it can drop by!

The cam belt will need changing, and the bushes usually wear out, but i imagine they would have been changed by now? (mine were gone at 45k miles!)

Other than that, it will probably need the same amount of maintenance as any other 10 year old car

Soldato
My issue is - I currently have a Golf GTD - 50MPG and I do 60 miles per day for work. The Focus gets 22smiles per gallon but is a quater of the value of my golf and only £90 more to insure.

Ensure that the fuel won't bankrupt you. I do 40 miles a day and that costs me around a tenner in fuel so you're looking at £15 a day in fuel just for the commute. That quickly adds up to around £300 just to get to work and back for you!

Associate
Ensure that the fuel won't bankrupt you. I do 40 miles a day and that costs me around a tenner in fuel so you're looking at £15 a day in fuel just for the commute. That quickly adds up to around £300 just to get to work and back for you!

Are your miles on a distance drive? The 60 miles is around 58 on the A1 so steady speed, outside lane slow drivers dependant!

Soldato
It's off my mate, he's been put in a financial difficulty and needs a quick sale. I know the car, and him very well. He just doesn't have the time for it to sell at it's proper price.

It always sounds dodgy when someone says "they don't have time to sell a car" so they price it at some ridiculously low level - it sounds like that's not the only reason it's cheap.

I sold my ST220 to my friend "for a quick sale" for a bit less than it'd have been worth on the open market but I'm talking £2-300, not £2-3000!

Surely if he priced it a bit less than other comparable models without being suspiciously cheap, it'd get snapped up? The cheapest mk2 ST on Autotrader right now is a Cat D for £3,750. There's plenty more CAT Ds and they're all over £4,000.

Hey ho, it may be genuine, it just sounds bizarre.

Last edited:
Soldato
My ST passed its MOT today without a single advisory :eek: I was fearing the worst but just glad there was nothing wrong.
Also got it serviced all filters changed and new spark plugs. Annoying heat shields also removed.
Now to get a Revo remap only charging £270 at the minute for them. :D

Associate
I've been speaking with my manager and not just for this reason but have been talking about changing my working location.

Monday/Wednesday - A different office to my normal one - The customers site which is only a 16 mile round trip instead of 60.
Tuesday/Thursday - At home
Friday - Office

Cutting my weekly miles to 124 from 300 to 90ish. On liquidfox's figures, that would get me a week of work commute fuel for £25? So not too bad really.

Very tempted to go for this option.

Back
Top Bottom