** HTC VIVE PRO - UPGRADED WIRELESS VR HEADSET ANNOUNCED **

Permabanned
Why RIP?
The controllers on the Rift are nicer but I find the headset on the Vive just feels more comfortable for longer periods of play.
We have 2 Rifts in our house, I might look into the Vive Pro when it's released in full as package - but I'm not an Oculus 'fan boy'. Saying things like 'RIP HTC' just make you look silly.
I expected HTC to abandon PC VR, but I'm really glad they haven't. I might upgrade to the Pro, in case the Pimax I have on order turns out to be a turd.

As for Oculus...when's that new hardware arriving? Or even being announced? All I hear are crickets from that camp.

I'm in no way a fan boy ...

It just appears obvious to me that HTC are not out of trouble yet. HTC may already have fallen if it were not for the deal with Bethesda in time for the holiday season. Right now it makes no sense to buy a Vive over the Rift due to price. It also makes no sense to consider a Vive Pro with Pimax so close. If you want a seated experience with a higher resolution, buy a MR system.

RIP HTC is simply a succinct phrase stating the obvious.

Associate
I'll wait for the reviews of the finished Pimax '8'K before calling time on Vive Pro!

I dont own any VR but im leaning towards Vive Pro simply because its the most refined - a true second generation headset in respect to its myriad improvements since original launch. (assuming the knuckles controllers are as good as they look)

OcUK Staff
OP
I tried Pimax 4K out over the weekend with a view to listing. I probably will look to get a few units in however in my educated opinion, HTC VIVE beats Pimax 4K hands down, and it will probably be a similar story with the pro/8K (based on content provision and professionalism).

If anyone has used the pimax they will tell you about the insane, funny/idiotic chinese English used during setup and on the website, this is the start of my confidence in the product waning. It just didn't seem proffessional or polished form start to finish. Their content is delivered very poorly, for example, with a "beauty" option under movies, no prices displayed and links on it to steam but not via the steam api, to the website meaning you'll have to login there, etc.. Their content is very difficult to navigate and for laymen setting them up, and then setting up separate 3rd party controllers and sensors will be just too much (if they want room scale). They are very much a Chinese headset for the Chinese market. Not only that I found the headset very flimsy and hard to focus when in 3d mode. In my honest belief if someone had the money for an Oculus or a VIVE and bought a Pimax 4k to save money it would be a false economy.

If you do not have the extra disposable for an HTC/HTC or any of the slew of soon to be arriving AR/MR windows headsets; and you are tech savvy, not bothered about room scale, can find 3rd party websites to get content + games from then the price difference is worth it.

I will of course review this position ongoing and I look forward to seeing what their 8K headset has to offer against the competition.

So when are we expecting this to be out for then?

PRO should be here end of Feb

Last edited:
Associate
It just appears obvious to me that HTC are not out of trouble yet. HTC may already have fallen if it were not for the deal with Bethesda in time for the holiday season. Right now it makes no sense to buy a Vive over the Rift due to price. It also makes no sense to consider a Vive Pro with Pimax so close. If you want a seated experience with a higher resolution, buy a MR system.

RIP HTC is simply a succinct phrase stating the obvious.
When the Pro launches, I suspect the stock Vive will take another permanent dip in price (probably around $/£500) with the Pro retailing at the full $/£700. That makes the Vive roughly equivalently priced to the Rift (after all the other Oculus-related paraphernalia is factored in). At that point if you want affordable room-scale without the drama, the Vive will be the one to get. The MS headsets are good if you want a limited cheap and cheerful VR experience, but they're not exactly going to set the VR gaming market on fire at the moment.

As for Pimax, the full package is most likely going to cost more than the Vive Pro. Oh, and let's not forget HTC's wireless offering. Pimax have promised one, but who knows when that will happen. And the TPCast units are still overpriced for the compromised experience they deliver. HTC are not out of the game yet it seems.

Permabanned
That makes the Vive roughly equivalently priced to the Rift (after all the other Oculus-related paraphernalia is factored in). At that point if you want affordable room-scale without the drama, the Vive will be the one to get.

That is of course if you forget the additional cost of the DAS and the Knuckles (if they ever make it to market). And of course, if you forget the Rift sale price of $/£350.

The MS headsets are good if you want a limited cheap and cheerful VR experience, but they're not exactly going to set the VR gaming market on fire at the moment.

This I agree with. Though the main selling point of the Vive Pro is the increased resolution, which is available via the cheaper MR system.

As for Pimax, the full package is most likely going to cost more than the Vive Pro. Oh, and let's not forget HTC's wireless offering. Pimax have promised one, but who knows when that will happen.

Well Pimax are offering a lot more. If you want a high end solution, you will have to pay for it.

And the TPCast units are still overpriced for the compromised experience they deliver.

Yep.

HTC are not out of the game yet it seems.

A little more effort and they could have done something nice with the Vive Pro, such as rotating the screens by 90 degrees for a much larger FOV. That would have made it worth while even with the Pimax around the corner. At the moment though, it just looks over priced for what you get. The same problem they have with the Vive.

Permabanned
I tried Pimax 4K out over the weekend with a view to listing. I probably will look to get a few units in however in my educated opinion, HTC VIVE beats Pimax 4K hands down, and it will probably be a similar story with the pro/8K (based on content provision and professionalism).

I don't think anyone is considering the 4k. I think we are all using 'Pimax' to describe the 8k/8x model.

Associate
Well Pimax are offering a lot more. If you want a high end solution, you will have to pay for it.
I do, and I have! ;)
A little more effort and they could have done something nice with the Vive Pro, such as rotating the screens by 90 degrees for a much larger FOV. That would have made it worth while even with the Pimax around the corner. At the moment though, it just looks over priced for what you get. The same problem they have with the Vive.
AFAIK, the Vive panels are rotated 90 degrees compared to the Rift - that's why the vertical FOV is a bit better. I think they know what they're doing - Valve invested a lot of time figuring this stuff out. Considering the hardware you're getting compared to the Rift, I don't find the Vive overpriced at all. As you said yourself, if you want a high-end solution, you will have to pay for it.

I wouldn't say the Pimax is around a corner, more like a very long sweeping bend that'll most likely put us into 2019. I would be amazed if they deliver mine before Christmas this year.

Associate
i'm tempted to go with the samsung odyssey because it's available now (if you try hard), and it has the same resolution as the pro. upgrading to pro means i have to go back to wired anyway, at least until wireless is available. a WMR headset brings some additional flexibility for travelling etc as well

Soldato
At £800 for just the standalone base hmd? The price of the additional gear stacks up over £400 as standalone items.

Surely 400/50/500 on the conversion tax for just the initial hmd?

Associate
Not had a confirmed RRP as I think they are waiting until the stock lands and the dollar rate when it does to finalise. But my guess based on the launch price of the original standalone headset would be around £800.
Apologies if I'm misreading this but I didn't think the original had ever been sold 'standalone'?

Permabanned
I do, and I have! ;)

AFAIK, the Vive panels are rotated 90 degrees compared to the Rift - that's why the vertical FOV is a bit better. I think they know what they're doing - Valve invested a lot of time figuring this stuff out. Considering the hardware you're getting compared to the Rift, I don't find the Vive overpriced at all. As you said yourself, if you want a high-end solution, you will have to pay for it.

No, the panels are mounted in portrait, the same as the Rift. The reason the Vive looks as though it has a larger FOV is due to the panels being slightly larger. This is perhaps the reason that the SDE is more noticable on the Vive.

I wouldn't say the Pimax is around a corner, more like a very long sweeping bend that'll most likely put us into 2019. I would be amazed if they deliver mine before Christmas this year.

Are we not waiting for Q3/4 for the full Vive Pro release?

Associate
  • Wireless adaptor is slated for "The Summer", works on 60GHz band and will likely be similarly priced to existing TPCast solutions.
Pulled that from the other post, disappointed as I thought it was built in!

Back
Top Bottom