** HTC VIVE PRO - UPGRADED WIRELESS VR HEADSET ANNOUNCED **

Associate
Until HTC announce it, I doubt anyone will give the answer even if they know it. I just wish they'd announce the price already even if they don't have an exact release date yet.

Associate
I dont even think HTC knows the price to go with yet. When has any company ever used the term Prosumer anyway? (please do share if anyone knows!) Are people who bought $1000 iPhone X prosumers? is that why Apple sold a lot less this time around because prosumers are a niche market? HTC went out of its way to brand the Vive Pro for prosumers, not enterprises or businesses. So i have two thoughts - 1) prosumer is a fake term to hide the fact this vive pro is 100% aimed at enterprises but they dont want to publicly alienate the gamer market who would start jumping into the Oculus camp - 2) the price will have to be lower than the current enterprise edition vive since they have not explicitly targetted that market with the Vive Pro.

Its all very confusing because of this bloody prosumer tag. They cant say its an 'enthiusiast' hmd as that would put off the enterprises who would see that as a term related to the gamer/entertainment community. They cant say its the "premier business solution" or such like as that would completely put of any regular consumers, even elite gamers. So here we are, enthusiasts, consumers and a few business minded people all with no solid clue about who this hmd is really aimed at. Heres another thought - if HTC say "oh, there will be a standard Vive Pro, and an Enterprise edition Vive Pro" then we will all be much more informed. Why cant they say that at this point? I was really hoping MWC would have been the week they clarify everything like price and target audiences.

I sincerely hope we hear about an Oculus Rift 1.5 during the F8 conference that ups the resolution to equal spec as the Pro. As a gamer myself that'll kill my interest in the Vive Pro and I think Facebook knows that too! But for now i'm still hoping the Vive Pro is for me and the new knuckles controllers end up being very good at some point/

So back to my original point, do HTC even know yet how much to sell this thing for?

If the bundle (old controllers + new lighthouses) is over £800 I think I will wait for a Rift 1.5 / 2. Especially as the Vive Focus has the same lenses and resolution and looks to cost less than £500 according to RoadToVR. (I hope the HTC marketing department scans OCUK for ideas!!!)

Associate
I sincerely hope we hear about an Oculus Rift 1.5 during the F8 conference that ups the resolution to equal spec as the Pro. As a gamer myself that'll kill my interest in the Vive Pro and I think Facebook knows that too! But for now i'm still hoping the Vive Pro is for me and the new knuckles controllers end up being very good at some point/

I think if we hear about HMDs at F8, it'll be to do with the Go and Santa Cruz. If we get to hear anything about a new Rift this year, I'd guess it would be at OC5. Hope I'm wrong though :)

Associate
How hard would it be for Oculus to jump in the market and quickly release a 1.5 same lenses ect. All the technology is obviously there with Windows headsets leaping above them in resolution upgrade. I`ld like it to a decision between the two, but Oculus have not given us that choice, except to keep our money in our pockets or go Vive Pro.

Associate
i'm a bit concerned by HTC's inability to deliver the Vive Pro - it was announced at the start of the year as a finished product for delivery in Q1, but that's obviously not going to happen.

the whole rationale for a mid generation product update is to kill demand for competitors products, i.e. Pimax. But the more HTC delays the Pro, the closer Pimax comes to being a finished product.

Right now I wouldn't be surprised if Pimax and Vive Pro release within days of each other.

Associate
Canon has, and still does (Prosumer Camcorders, for example). And there's probably other companies out there who do.

Thanks for that. Funny to compare this to what HTC may be thinking... Cannon have three lines of camcorders, consumer = ~£300, PROSUMER ~£950 and Professional ~£1800

This thing wants to cost a grand, doesn't it! lol.

Associate
Up-to £600 and maybe a little higher I'll consider one, more than £700 and I'll wait for something else.

I'm in no rush to buy another headset.

Associate
alright fellas, starting from a new build, heres my cost breakdown for a vive pro for any 'prosumers' out there:

CPU:
Has to be based on a minimum of i5 8400 with 8gb RAM @ 3000mhz imo £800
GPU:
GTX 1080ti, obviously. (1080 aint 'prosumer' you know!) £700 (bloody bitcoin)
Vive Pro:
HMD, lighthouse 2.0, Knuckles controllers. ~£1000

Two and a half grand in 2018. Im pretty sure that was how much it cost back in early 2016 to 'get into' VR at the highest end. I didnt save much by waiting eh?

(p.s Im not convinced their wireless system is good enough to preserve image quality so im leaving that out, but add 100 clams to the price for that, i dunno.)

Associate
the right timing was last year! Nvidia hasn't had any tis in stock for ages. The cheapest ti I can see right now is the Palit that overclockers are selling for £800.

Associate
Overclockers will have a 12% off sometime this year I'm sure... wont they? eh? nudge nudge, wink wink.... please? ;)

Soldato
You'd get extra sales of VR headsets if you bundled a discounted 1080ti. The cynic would say why bother when those 1080's would shift at price whatever, but sooner or later hmd sales will slow if things continue as they are, and more umph is needed to run the latest hotness. Id imagine the barrier to entry is the card now, I'm totally perplexed that a next level down gfx card I bought 18 months ago sells for £200 pounds more today.

Associate
Packaging
vivepro_frontal_01.jpg
vivepro_trasera_01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom