• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ian McNaughton goes out against The Way it's Meant to be Played

Soldato
Indeed Nvidia are trying to gain a much bigger share of pie than just gamers and DX11,

It's called business :rolleyes:

How come you never moaned at ATI when they deliberately nobbled there own drivers to stop people using certain programs?

It would not surprise me if they have done it for the 5870 cards as well.

Soldato
AMD has paid 1 million to codemasters for DX11 in Dirt2. And DX11 is not even owned by AMD, NV DX11 cards when they get here will not be restricted.

That's good. I'd like to see them do that kind of thing more often and have their logo all over the game.

In principle, I have no problem with TWIMTBP and other such ventures. Offering developers support in optimising their games for existing and upcoming hardware benefits the consumer. It's a positive influence.

However, once a company starts actively encouraging developers to remove certain features when rival hardware is detected, well... that's a different matter. The whole thing takes a turn for the negative.

You've basically summed up what I was trying to say earlier in the thread but failed to! :p

Caporegime
It's called business :rolleyes:

How come you never moaned at ATI when they deliberately nobbled there own drivers to stop people using certain programs?

It would not surprise me if they have done it for the 5870 cards as well.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, what programs did ATi stop you using?

Also, considering its their card, and they apparently stopped you using something, thats rather their perrogative, its not even close to the same thing as paying someone else, to stop their program working with an Nvidia card.

Permabanned
This is how console industry works. Console makers trying to buy off features and add ons from games in order to attract buyers. Ati needs to wake up... Thats another reason for me to stick with nvidia, hassle free gaming.

Soldato
This is how console industry works. Console makers trying to buy off features and add ons from games in order to attract buyers. Ati needs to wake up... Thats another reason for me to stick with nvidia, hassle free gaming.

Hassle free?

You're being conned into buying a more expensive graphics card just so it plays the games that Nvidia have 'fixed' to run best for them.

Hardly fair, and something that needs stamping down on IMO.

Soldato
Maybe I'm forgetting something, what programs did ATi stop you using?

Furmark for one, because if people renamed the exe to something else and ran it it caused the 4*** cards to overheat.

Also, considering its their card, and they apparently stopped you using something, thats rather their perrogative, its not even close to the same thing as paying someone else, to stop their program working with an Nvidia card.

So what your saying is that if a company invents something or puts loads of money into something
then every company should be able to use that for free?

Its like if Ford made a engine that can do 1000mpg they should give that tech to AUDI\VW?

Soldato
you not got a clue if the claims are right ,it is like ford making a 1000 mpg car and vw getting someone like shell to bring it down to 800mpg

Permabanned
Furmark for one, because if people renamed the exe to something else and ran it it caused the 4*** cards to overheat.

So what your saying is that if a company invents something or puts loads of money into something
then every company should be able to use that for free?

Its like if Ford made a engine that can do 1000mpg they should give that tech to AUDI\VW?
I bet furmark is the only application you can list that has intentionally been disabled.

It put the cards under an unrealistic level of strain that wouldn't have occurred when playing games as normal.

If they'd intentionally crippled a game, then you'd have a point, but they've done this for a reason, to ensure people's cards don't over heat and the VRMs don't fail.

Caporegime
I've only owned 2 Nvidia cards in my life.

A Vanta 32MB (free from my dad), and an 8800GT.

Is it because I am a fanboy? Nope, just so happens that whenever I am in the market for a new card, ATI have the best bang for buck at the time, and it is likely to happen again with the 5850.

Nvidia's removal of in-game AA is awful imo.

Soldato
i had 5 nvidia cards and 2 ati i still got 320 but they way they acting at moment my money will got to ati unless nvidia cards are a lot better.
Where does this stop ati doing the same thing to d3 and sc2?
If this becomes normal practice it is another nail in the coffin for pc games

Permabanned

If you hadn't noticed we're not talking about consoles and even if we were, are you aware that ATi has the dominance there? They make the graphics chips in the Wii and Xbox, both of which are doing better than the PS3, and before anyone starts, no I'm not an Xbox or Wii fanboy, I have a Wii and a PS3, I Just haven't bought an Xbox, yet.

This hassle free gaming non-sense is just a large lie, As Taken said, you've been conned and it's pretty funny I suppose.

All companies have issues, have a think what hassles are there? If there are some, nVidia are behind a few, like the Batman AA being disabled if an ATi card is detected.

Yeah, that's a hassle, but it's nVidia's doing, no?

What about all those people with nVidia based laptops? I'm sure they absolutely LOVE their hassle free experience, oh wait, their laptops don't work any more since the GPUs overheated and died. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
No this is where you trip up :)
ATI can have physx they just don't want to pay NV for the use of it ;)

It's $50000 per title per platform ;)

Do you blame them? Do you think nVidia would want to use an ATi equivalent of PhysX if they brought one out?

GPU Physics is good for no one when owned by GPU manufacturers. ATi and nVidia need to make GPUs and let the standards be set by external bodies.

Soldato
I bet furmark is the only application you can list that has intentionally been disabled.

I have not looked for more because I am busy, but you are welcome to ;)

It put the cards under an unrealistic level of strain that wouldn't have occurred when playing games as normal.

Many people have and still use it with no problems, so you are saying ATI knew of a problem and di nothing!

If they'd intentionally crippled a game, then you'd have a point, but they've done this for a reason, to ensure people's cards don't over heat and the VRMs don't fail.

No it was because of very bad cooling by ATI

Soldato
No this is where you trip up :)
ATI can have physx they just don't want to pay NV for the use of it ;)

It's $50000 per title per platform ;)

I am not on about physx i am on about IF THIS HAPPENED disabling ati cards with in game aa (not forcing it through ccc) as renaming ati cards to nvidia made it work in the demo.

Soldato
Do you blame them? Do you think nVidia would want to use an ATi equivalent of PhysX if they brought one out?

Well if you agree with that then stop moaning about Physx or email ATI to use it.

GPU Physics is good for no one when owned by GPU manufacturers. ATi and nVidia need to make GPUs and let the standards be set by external bodies.

NO, they tried that with computers and it never took off(MSX anyone).
As I say email ATI to pay the cash for Physx and stop asking for freebies and crying when you don't get them.

Soldato
I am not on about physx i am on about IF THIS HAPPENED disabling ati cards with in game aa (not forcing it through ccc) as renaming ati cards to nvidia made it work in the demo.

If you are on about AA the if you look on that games forum NV people are having problems with AA as well.
There is someone here that got better fps forcing AA then doing it in the game.

All this crying over a game

Permabanned
Hassle free?

You're being conned into buying a more expensive graphics card just so it plays the games that Nvidia have 'fixed' to run best for them.

Hardly fair, and something that needs stamping down on IMO.

what are you talking about? my gtx 295 was £330 back in may and it still outperforms the 5870 which costs £30 less. all these months of gaming nirvana are worth more than £30 to me.

Back
Top Bottom