• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Soldato
Those who are pushing high overclocks how are you doing this? Are you adjusting the cpu multi or the turbo multi?
My cpu will do 4.8ghz at 1.247v (posted images earlier in the thread) but im struggling getting it higher.
I'm using turbo multi, volts adjusted via LLC and all power saving features enabled so mhz and volts drop at idle.

Am I likely to get a higher oc if I disable all this and just clock using the cpu multi and run constant volts and mhz?

Soldato
So I ran Cinebench R15 and my score was 958.

I had to push the volts up to 1.380v and I am at 4.9GHz.

That is ever so slightly less than what smsmasters has got but requiring more volts & 100MHz more. Thoughts?

Edit, re-ran with Chrome shut down and now score now at 970. I have no idea what is good or bad tbh. First time running benches etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interestingly, since getting new RAM I am able to get 4.8 Intel burn stable at 1.25. Wasn't possible before hmmmm. Managed to run Cinebench at 4.9 but it crashed on Realbench.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so my Gigabyte bios is showing 44x 4400mhz @1.415 volts.

Temps are 49c after an hour faffing on the desktop.

Should I be concerned (stock cooler)

THanks.

update.

CPU-z showing 800mhz and 0.955v so I'm not scared anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. One more thing is that hwmonitor is listing one of the int temps as 128c.

My fans are all working and the board feels room temperature. The cooler is warm but that's it.

Soldato
So this is the best stable I can get with the flat ambient temps floating around 27-28 degrees.

Hope you can read it but yeah. Seems to alright. Still not Prime95 stable but am not worries about that to be honest. It is stable for gaming. CPU temp rises to about 75 degree gaming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If i can get mine to 4.7 on reasonable volts, ill be happy enough at that. Benched the last one at 4.8 with xtu, cinebench, 3dm but it wasnt game stable. P95 or ibt etc was a no go on either as temps were into the mid 90's.

Caporegime
Yeah, id expect that even on high end watercooling. In stock configuration theese chips just arent capable of handling anything that uses AVX. If you want to stress test with such programs, youll need to delid it to keep temps in check.

Associate
Setter & smsmasters

Please can you tell me what steppings your CPU's are, the full steppings please like for instance L412B312
It helps me see if there is any correlation between other CPU's I've seen around the net.
Could you also give your max stable clocks temp and voltages and max clocks unstable temp and voltages if you have them please.

Associate
Just installed this with the Alpenföhn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler - 120 mm and when doing hunts in FFXIV (admittedly pretty flashy) the CPU spikes to 90-100 degrees ... pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to go! Runs idle at around 40 and when not in hunts it is around 80, when FFXIV is in the background while I'm checking CPUID Hardware Monitor it drops from 80 to 60 pretty quick. So... likely air bubbles? I'm not even overclocking at the moment... GPU is fine, 60 or so. Not confident I got that CPU cooler placement done very well, so wouldn't be surprised if it's air bubbles, but yeah. :(

Last edited:
Associate
running mine @ 4400 with 4.8ghz cpu @1.180 Vring
1.920vrin
1.277vcore

unstaaaaable :p SS or it didnt happen >.>

since i figure i ought to contribute something to the thread.

mine takes 1.42v for 4.9 but its a pretty damn good chip. 5.0 is stable for my intents and purposes but not prime stable. Still cant get it prime stable with 1.46v and am not going any higher since its a 24/7 oc.

the only problem w/ running 4.9 is it causes my other overclocks (ram/uncore) to be a bit limited. I could scale back to 4.8 and rectify it for the most part but as they say, core clock is king. I think im mildly limited due to running quad sli as well. I couldnt find stability until i bumped up my pch core which added some heat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom