*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

One thing that's just crossed my mind is... I wonder how long it'll take to jailbreak this thing... :eek:

Jailbreaking is pretty important for me - I fear we're going to have a long wait this time around :(

I've had it since 2005..

Well played sir....well played :p

This is what I've just asked in the thread about it in the mobile section, where it will no doubt be slated plenty.

It's not my job to innovate, that's down to Apple, but considering the current technology available they couldn't have done much more as far as I'm aware.

They left out NFC, but that is seldom used at the moment... by anyone.

Completely this.

When it began, the first iPhone demolished all phones, and it did for some time.

Then others started to catch up, with the S3 becoming now on par with the iPhone.

It's no longer really a choice of which is the better phone, but more, which do you want to use in terms of OS. The 5 is a great phone running iOS, the S3 is a great phone running Android.

Choice of phone is becoming more and more about OS I feel rather than the device itself.

That and the S3 feels cheap ;) (despite not being so)

kd

So, the new iPhone has a different aspect ratio, pointlessly breaking backward compatibility with previous iPhone games; a new connector no-one else uses, pointless breaking compatibility with the iPod and a thousand iPod accepting devices; and a new sim card style, pointless breaking compatibility with existing sims

That's a completely empty argument. You're basically saying that aspect ratios, connectors and SIM cards should not be updated because it breaks compatibility. The only way to avoid breaking backward compatibility is never to update standards at all.

The dock connector is 13 years old. I challenge you to find a non-Apple phone manufacturer whose products have the same dock connector today as they had 13 years ago.

I can't see this doing anything to counter the slide in Apple's market share.

You're right - it won't. Practically nothing can counter the slide in market share. When you only market one phone model at a time and it costs £500+, you're never going to gain the same market share as Android manufacturers who are selling a wide range of phones, many for £100 or less.

Apple doesn't care about market share very much, because its profits per unit are so much higher than for rival manufacturers. The situation with the MacBook exemplifies this. It's far too expensive to gain dominant market share, but it sure makes Apple a lot of dollars.

Last edited:
The NFC thing makes me giggle, a few at my Uni go on about it being so awesome yet haven't managed to use it once in the UK for anything other then swapping contacts.

I think we're just spoiled with so many good phones to choose from these days.
See quite a lot of people saying that this release is (another) disappointment, but it seems like it'll be a decent phone to me.

Completely this.

When it began, the first iPhone demolished all phones, and it did for some time.

Then others started to catch up, with the S3 becoming now on par with the iPhone.

It's no longer really a choice of which is the better phone, but more, which do you want to use in terms of OS. The 5 is a great phone running iOS, the S3 is a great phone running Android.

Choice of phone is becoming more and more about OS I feel rather than the device itself.

That and the S3 feels cheap ;) (despite not being so)

kd

Totally agree - Wish more people saw it this way, rather than taking swipes at Apple at any chance possible :p

They couldn't have done more with the latest iPhone really...

Sorely tempted by the 5 away from my SGS2. Sadly I'm on a Virgin SIM only deal so the chance of getting a nano sim is literally non-existent, so I might end up going for the now cheaper 4S.

Fair enough but apple are playing into Samsung and more importantly Google's hands with this.

Market share inevitably dictates developers support for an OS, just look at Symbian and BBOS

Now apple is playing catch up here but to be honest I still find it disgusting the amount of companies and devs that provide iOS only apps,
First Direct Bank being one who recently had to u turn in the face of customer backlash demanding and android app

Andriod cannot be ignored and with this spec of iPhone 5 today Samsung may well overshoot the 10million future activations they announced today

Is it the same as that technology some banks use in their debit cards for contactless payment?

Indeed. This is why I was sort of hoping for NFC in the new phone - I love using my contactless card :p However, it has security issues, and it isn't widely available enough to use in mass market (Then again, I would argue that that is the case with 4G right now...).

Now apple is playing catch up here but to be honest I still find it disgusting the amount of companies and devs that provide iOS only apps

You reckon they're only providing iOS apps because they have a personal preference for Apple products?

This is business. They're prioritising Apple because iOS products are making them more money. The day they prioritise Android is the day that Android makes them more money. That day self-evidently isn't now.

Totally agree - Wish more people saw it this way, rather than taking swipes at Apple at any chance possible :p

They couldn't have done more with the latest iPhone really...

Don't read the iPhone 5 thread in the mobiles section, the doom merchants are out in force. :p

Really liking the 5 but am unsure it's enough to tear me away from my S3 (now with added JellyBean!). Software is looking kickass though, and the new A15 (confirmed?) cores will make sure it will fly!)

Back
Top Bottom