*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

I know the iPhone doesn't have NFC, but how are we presuming Passbook works? Is it just a geographical thing? Or?

I think I'm understanding the black iPhone more. It's surprisingly masculine.

kd

Fairly sure it uses location services (Which I shudder to think how well the battery will work with :p). So when you have a Starbucks card - as you walk into a Starbucks, it'll pop up on your lock screen. Then you just swipe and up pops your Starbucks card.

It's definitely a neat idea :) I hope it's used for Cinema tickets and other loyalty cards and what not :) I wonder if the supermarket chains will get in on the action...

You reckon they're only providing iOS apps because they have a personal preference for Apple products?

Of course not but in the case of banks and other free apps it can only come down to the fact that they are too lazy develop apps for android despite it being more popular now or they are being paid by apple not to

Don't read the iPhone 5 thread in the mobiles section, the doom merchants are out in force. :p

Oof I hate to think... I thought it was bad in the media thread - I bet it's anarchy over there! :p

May just go over there and tell them the S3 is a toy in comparison to the new iPhone and then run away :p

Indeed. This is why I was sort of hoping for NFC in the new phone - I love using my contactless card :p However, it has security issues, and it isn't widely available enough to use in mass market (Then again, I would argue that that is the case with 4G right now...).

For me it's one of those "would be nice to have but isn't a deal breaker" features. I'd have been far more gutted had it not had, for example, a speed boost/longer battery/4G/5GHz wifi.

Fairly sure it uses location services (Which I shudder to think how well the battery will work with :p). So when you have a Starbucks card - as you walk into a Starbucks, it'll pop up on your lock screen. Then you just swipe and up pops your Starbucks card.

It's definitely a neat idea :) I hope it's used for Cinema tickets and other loyalty cards and what not :) I wonder if the supermarket chains will get in on the action...

Indeed, it will be very cool if it works with things like Tesco clubcards/loyalty cards/odeon tickets etc... Would be great for all those restaurant vouchers where you have to 'print off'

Hell, my gf has a wallet for loyalty cards alone... It'd probably make her getting an iOS 6 device worth it on it's own...

I'm aware the above may be moving away from iPhone discussion slightly :S

To be honest, I don't really care about 4G right now. Even if I bought a iPhone 5 tomorrow on a 2 year contract, then yes, at the end I'd be missing it, but frankly, if it's anything like traditional tech updates it won't be with us for at least 6 months, then the teething issues'll add yet more issues no doubt.

kd

Indeed. This is why I was sort of hoping for NFC in the new phone - I love using my contactless card :p However, it has security issues, and it isn't widely available enough to use in mass market (Then again, I would argue that that is the case with 4G right now...).

NFC is massive in Asia, I'm suprised it's not widely used in EU/USA to be honest.

Living in London, I can imagine using my NFC enabled phone as an Oyster device on public transport. That's awesome!

Apple doesn't care about market share very much, because its profits per unit are so much higher than for rival manufacturers. The situation with the MacBook exemplifies this. It's far too expensive to gain dominant market share, but it sure makes Apple a lot of dollars.

The problem for Apple is, unlike the Mac, there is a wider ecosystem to consider with iOS devices with app sales and content delivery. iDevices MUST account for a significant portion of the market for them to continue their success.

If they don't care about market share they will run out of steam in the long run.

For me it's one of those "would be nice to have but isn't a deal breaker" features. I'd have been far more gutted had it not had, for example, a speed boost/longer battery/4G/5GHz wifi.

Yeah I know what you mean - I feel that way about Siri. It's nice to have... but it's not a deal breaker :p

Indeed, it will be very cool if it works with things like Tesco clubcards.

Hell, my gf has a wallet for loyalty cards alone... It'd probably make her getting an iOS 6 device worth it on it's own...

kd

Definitely! My wallet is busting at its seams (Literally! :() with all the cards. Hopefully, companies will jump on the bandwagon and save my wallet in the process :p

NFC is massive in Asia, I'm suprised it's not widely used in EU/USA to be honest.

Living in London, I can imagine using my NFC enabled phone as an Oyster device on public transport. That's awesome!

Yeah I don't really understand why it isn't widely used. From people I've spoken with, a lot of people don't like how unsafe it is...

But using your iPhone as an Oyster card... that would definitely be awesome :D

Fair enough but apple are playing into Samsung and more importantly Google's hands with this.

Market share inevitably dictates developers support for an OS, just look at Symbian and BBOS

Now apple is playing catch up here but to be honest I still find it disgusting the amount of companies and devs that provide iOS only apps,
First Direct Bank being one who recently had to u turn in the face of customer backlash demanding and android app

Andriod cannot be ignored and with this spec of iPhone 5 today Samsung may well overshoot the 10million future activations they announced today

Seriously dude, it doesnt matter about market share, more so with paid apps, they will come to iOS first every time, iOS makes more money, the company I work for has a butt tonn of apps, the iOS outsell the android apps 2 to 1 and in app purchases was around 70-80% in favour of iOS.

Of course not but in the case of banks and other free apps it can only come down to the fact that they are too lazy develop apps for android despite it being more popular now or they are being paid by apple not to

It's not a matter of laziness. Shareholders don't accept laziness as an excuse. It's a matter of cost versus return.

Android has more market share, but the bank must have projections showing that iOS users are more likely to use the app, more likely to join the bank because it offers an app, more likely to buy other products through the app, etc.

The App Store also has a high profile - being associated with it and with Apple products may have a reputational benefit for the bank. Plus, if you ran a bank, wouldn't you want to attract customers who've spent £500 on their phone?

Last edited:
Its entirely possible they will release another version to cater for these frequencies. They did the same trick with the "Verizon iPhone".

No, they really couldn't be ****** http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

EU iPhone 5 users will never have access to the bulk of their LTE network. (EE will probably have 800/2600 masts from next year too)

Edit:
They probably just added one frequency per country outside the US for "4G" advertising :p

No, it's a quad-core Exynos 4412.

The US version is the dual-core S4 Snapdragon, which is better than the Exynos quad.

Not really, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference between them. :rolleyes:

Exynos 4412 wins some benchmarks, S4 Dual Core Krait wins some.

To say one is absolutely better than the other suggests your biased, which is no surprise

Last edited:
Just had a thought. Whilst I've not actually been hit that badly by the lightning upgrade, I've realised one thing, with regards to decent speakers and things.

Most items now a days are actually airplay enabled. So people shouldn't have to buy 50 adaptors really...

kd

Yeah I don't really understand why it isn't widely used. From people I've spoken with, a lot of people don't like how unsafe it is...

For the Oyster card it is down to speed, they need something below 300ms and NFC is running at around 400-500ms IIRC, but yeah I hate having to carry around so many things.

All else ill say on the market share apps issue is that the figures have only recently turned in androids favour on a massive scale.

2 years down the line if apple still find themselves behind to the extent they are now then this may be a lot different.

Just think, its probably at least a year till the iphone 6 and from the look of the internet theres not the hoohaa and parade today there has been with previous releases. Can this really see them to 2014?

Just think, its probably at least a year till the iphone 6 and from the look of the internet theres not the hoohaa and parade today there has been with previous releases. Can this really see them to 2014?

Reviews have gone pretty well to be fair.

That it's made from a single piece of aluminium, rather than the cheap, plasticky case of some rival smartphones makes it all the more delightful as an object of design.

Favourite one so far.

kd

Back
Top Bottom