*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

That's a by-product of having an Apple forum. From the off, they aren't considered as a 'normal' manufacturer, they're given a special section. Which is good and bad.

A special section? That's a bit strong, apple phones only got their own section to stop arguments like this occurring, not because they are in any way superior.

A special section? That's a bit strong, apple phones only got their own section to stop arguments like this occurring, not because they are in any way superior.

I don't mean 'special' as in retarded :p, just that people may perceive things differently due to how this forum handles the Apple situation, for example, keeping the iPhone and iPad stuff out of the mobiles & tablets section.

I wanted to upgrade, big Apple fan in many ways but there a couple of things that are really bugging me here, but i dunno if im making a mountain out of a molehill.

I already have the Iphone 4, i missed out the 4S so was eagarly awaiting the 5. I was a LITTLE disappointed with the lack of a true "wow-factor" (although not sure what I was expecting, as others have said) but because my upgrade is due i was happy to go for it.

However.....

Whats all this about £25 for an adapter for the charger? I currently have a charger at work, one at home, one at my desk, a dock in my car and a speaker dock. Are Apple really suggesting i have to either

a) Spend £125 just to maintain the same level of convenience or
b) Spend £25 on one and carry it round absolutely everywhere?

Thats on top of whatever o2 want to charge me to upgrade?

I have no issue with Apple changing the connection but is this not taking the pee a little?

Also in practical terms i do question the need to continue to make things "slimmer and lighter" rather than truly up the battery levels? I do a bit of travelling where i may spend most of the day on planes and trains and i really struggle to use the phone as a true ipod replacement because by the end of the day the battery runs down to such an extent that i feel i could be compromising the device being used as a phone so i end up taking both ipod and iphone with me. In practical terms a major shift in battery life and an increase in storage capacity would have been far more of a "game changer" than just trying to make it look a bit different.

I know in reality i will probably upgrade but for the first time i do feel a bit cheated by Apple, and i say that as someone with a number of Apple products.

However.....

Whats all this about £25 for an adapter for the charger? I currently have a charger at work, one at home, one at my desk, a dock in my car and a speaker dock. Are Apple really suggesting i have to either

a) Spend £125 just to maintain the same level of convenience or
b) Spend £25 on one and carry it round absolutely everywhere?

Thats on top of whatever o2 want to charge me to upgrade?

I have no issue with Apple changing the connection but is this not taking the pee a little?

£25 for an adapter does seem a lot. Someone (can't remember if it was on here) said they should be selling them at cost, to make it easier for people.

They obviously aren't doing that.

Also in practical terms i do question the need to continue to make things "slimmer and lighter" rather than truly up the battery levels? I do a bit of travelling where i may spend most of the day on planes and trains and i really struggle to use the phone as a true ipod replacement because by the end of the day the battery runs down to such an extent that i feel i could be compromising the device being used as a phone so i end up taking both ipod and iphone with me. In practical terms a major shift in battery life and an increase in storage capacity would have been far more of a "game changer" than just trying to make it look a bit different.

I know in reality i will probably upgrade but for the first time i do feel a bit cheated by Apple, and i say that as someone with a number of Apple products.

At the moment, not that much is known about the battery. Just because it's thin doesn't mean it won't pack a well sized battery, and the CPU should be very good for power efficiency, so it should be an improvement on the 4S at the very least.

Whether it will be much better than the iPhone 4 (for you) remains to be seen.

I think it does very much rest on preferences when the current differences are as small as they are (generally).

That's your opinion - I'd argue that the differences were big and are getting bigger the longer Apple allows iOS to stagnate.

By all means have a look at this video to see the differences between operating systems. Granted a fair amount of it is based on his preference but a very large chunk of it is factually based and represents a solid functional advantage of Android. http://youtu.be/NMiY1kSTHZw

I don't see how I'm being biased. I haven't said Apple users are infallible, there are hordes of blind idiots as people describe, but not so much on this forum in particular. The same can be said of XDA Developers when it comes to Android matters, too.

I can comfortably differentiate between them. I can also accept why some people may prefer one over the other, even if I don't agree. This is where the problem lies, with acceptance.

Acceptance of a differing opinion perhaps. XDA is much like other forums, you have to filter the chaff but to be fair the development section of XDA and Android is significantly more active and productive than Apple simply because it's so frowned upon by Cupertino.

That's a by-product of having an Apple forum. From the off, they aren't considered as a 'normal' manufacturer, they're given a special section. Which is good and bad.

This is a bit of a bugbear of mine mostly because it perceptively elevates the device above other mobile phones when to the majority of users, that is all it is, a smart phone. Having a separate section only serves to segregate the juvenile discussion that is inevitable much like the old PS3 vs XBOX arguments... they seem to have died a quiet death though (until the next round of console wars). I'd argue again that it's because Apple people don't take criticism well even when it's well structured and objective. Again the segregation gives them the opportunity to use the "well if you don't like it, don't come in here" argument.

Of course some of it is fact driven, I haven't said it isn't. You seem to have taken my post somewhat the wrong way.

I'm mostly talking about people who don't actually offer anything for discussion, they just bait and whine. There is a very clear difference between discussing the pros and cons of something and posting how terrible it is in order to irritate people and stifle discussion.

I dunno, I took it to be that you were sick of people with differing opinions coming in and sullying the Apple love in... To be fair you did use some pretty emotive language and it was aimed pretty squarely at Android users.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are no Blackberry users or Windows Mobile users in here, in fact the OS's are largely ignored, and I'd suggest that is because they aren't that good. With both iOS and Android the 'fanboyism' is bred from an overwhelming factor -they're both very good operating systems, unfortunately for Apple they have chosen to capitalise on their market share by making a very small evolution of the iPhone. They were behind the game long before the Galaxy S2 came out and they're falling even further behind because they have locked themselves into a deep seated ecosystem corral. They simply can't afford to alienate either their users or their developers whereas Google has based their OS on a broad, largely unfettered and varied base which means that diversity is their friend. Change is good for them.

This is not to take away from the iPhone being a brilliant device and having an excellent level of intuitiveness. That I believe is inarguable, but the fact that it has not appreciably changed in the last 3-4 years, that is also inarguable. Customers want something new and flashy, they want to be blown away like they were when the iPhone and iPad first made an appearance - to quote a reviewer "they have simply left people whelmed".

Last edited:
I must say, I wasn't *expecting* anything major but this is disappointing :(

Main things of note:

Worldwide 4G LTE - If you live in a major city this will be useful in 2013, but if you don't the phone will be obsolete before 4G becomes widespread in the UK

4-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display - 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi - IPS, 44 per cent more colour saturation - So it has a 4" screen with triple the pixels of the 27" imac, well the 4" is nice but who cares if they can visually identify pixels on their phone

8-megapixel iSight camera - Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio - I assume this is good but the one on my 3GS is fine for the type of quick snaps I don't use bother using a digital camera for and I doubt this will replace my camera

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (Standby time: Up to 225 hours; Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours) - The only feature im actually slightly interested in

Apple A6 chip (2X faster than iPhone 4S) - Which was fast enough

Lightning: 8 signal dock connector - A sidegrde that breaks compatability with a lot of the iPhone accessories already on market

iOS 6 - Will be made available for the 4 and 4S anyway one would think

I have to be honest, people slated the Nokia 920 for the same lack of innovation Apple have displayed here, its more like an iPhone 4.5 or 4XL

Last edited:
At the moment, not that much is known about the battery. Just because it's thin doesn't mean it won't pack a well sized battery, and the CPU should be very good for power efficiency, so it should be an improvement on the 4S at the very least.

Whether it will be much better than the iPhone 4 (for you) remains to be seen.

It is a question of waiting and seeing but I assume that by making it thinner and lighter that is seen to be of greater priority than a substantial increase in battery in terms of a trade off.

I think it will come down to the total "cost to change" for me which is a shame as i was hoping to have been in the "must have at all costs" camp. I have no desire to change to a non-iphone handset so maybe its just an illustration of how happy i am with the 4 as i have never had one this long.

I'm overdue an upgrade anyway. If I was to pre-order an upgrade to the 5 through the orange website straight away, does anyone know if I'd be able to delay delivery until the 24th as I'm out of the country until then?

I dunno, I took it to be that you were sick of people with differing opinions coming in and sullying the Apple love in... To be fair you did use some pretty emotive language and it was aimed pretty squarely at Android users.

Love in? This thread is pretty much negative for the most part. It wasn't aimed squarely at Android users. I'm an Android user myself and think it's fantastic, but that doesn't exempt the behaviour of others.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are no Blackberry users or Windows Mobile users in here, in fact the OS's are largely ignored, and I'd suggest that is because they aren't that good. With both iOS and Android the 'fanboyism' is bred from an overwhelming factor -they're both very good operating systems, unfortunately for Apple they have chosen to capitalise on their market share by making a very small evolution of the iPhone. They were behind the game long before the Galaxy S2 came out and they're falling even further behind because they have locked themselves into a deep seated ecosystem corral. They simply can't afford to alienate either their users or their developers whereas Google has based their OS on a broad, largely unfettered and varied base which means that diversity is their friend. Change is good for them.

I think the Windows Phone situation may change with the Lumia 920, it seems to be impressing.

I wouldn't say they are far behind the game, if at all. If you consider the Galaxy S2 > S3 upgrade, the differences are fairly similar. Samsung got slated for that as well, and even more so as people felt they took the design backwards and not forwards.

This is not to take away from the iPhone being a brilliant device and having an excellent level of intuitiveness. That I believe is inarguable, but the fact that it has not appreciably changed in the last 3-4 years, that is also inarguable. Customers want something new and flashy, they want to be blown away like they were when the iPhone and iPad first made an appearance - to quote a reviewer "they have simply left people whelmed".

I do agree, but when I ask myself what more they could have added, I can't think of much really.

Look at ICS to Jelly Bean, it's refinement and evolution from Google, not revolution. Much like iOS 5 > 6.

Apple have an extremely popular product here and I wouldn't call the iOS development 'stagnation', more deliberate, gentle evolution of something that people like.

Those adaptors look useless as well. If have your car wired for iphone with cradle or an iphone shape dock moulded into hifi, there is no way on earth you can possibly fit an inch tall adapter inbetween old socket and the phone. Crazy. Just crazy. Killed the product for millions of people.

Those adaptors look useless as well. If have your car wired for iphone with cradle or an iphone shape dock moulded into hifi, there is no way on earth you can possibly fit an inch tall adapter inbetween old socket and the phone. Crazy. Just crazy. Killed the product for millions of people.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. It's quite a huge move (that they arguably didn't need to make).

Looks nice, however I'm happy with my iPhone 4. I'd also be upset to be required to use the 'lightning' adapters as most people have a normal iPhone one.

I'll probably buy one off a mate on the cheap when he inevitably gets it and replaces it with the newest when his contract expires. (what I've done for my iPhone 3G & 4)

Love in? This thread is pretty much negative for the most part. It wasn't aimed squarely at Android users. I'm an Android user myself and think it's fantastic, but that doesn't exempt the behaviour of others.

No you are right. It'd be nice if people would take the time to discuss like adults...

I think the Windows Phone situation may change with the Lumia 920, it seems to be impressing.

Yeah it's a pretty sweet phone but I really think that W8P is a big hurdle - even Blackberry OS is more developed than Windows 8 phone.

I wouldn't say they are far behind the game, if at all. If you consider the Galaxy S2 > S3 upgrade, the differences are fairly similar. Samsung got slated for that as well, and even more so as people felt they took the design backwards and not forwards.

Look at ICS to Jelly Bean, it's refinement and evolution from Google, not revolution. Much like iOS 5 > 6.

This is also true - I was actually more impressed with the Galaxy Nexus but the S2 was a huge step forward both in hardware and OS capabilities.

I do agree, but when I ask myself what more they could have added, I can't think of much really.

Apple have an extremely popular product here and I wouldn't call the iOS development 'stagnation', more deliberate, gentle evolution of something that people like.

Personally, other than some functional streamlining, I don't think that there is much that needs to be added to iOS but at this stage it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. The hardware is effectively the same (aesthetically) and the OS looks identical. The gentle evolution is all well and good but, like I've said earlier, people like to think that they're getting a new device when they upgrade. It still looks virtually the same as the first iphone. Apple did an amazing job in creating a stunningly simple and well structured OS (with the hardware they had to work with) and effectively cornered themselves by making it counter intuitive to change anything. They've added to the mess by suing the pants off anyone when they 'copied' from Apple so they can't 'borrow' great functionality nor operational streamlining. They're between the proverbial rock and hard place IMO.

Personally, other than some functional streamlining, I don't think that there is much that needs to be added to iOS but at this stage it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. The hardware is effectively the same (aesthetically) and the OS looks identical. The gentle evolution is all well and good but, like I've said earlier, people like to think that they're getting a new device when they upgrade. It still looks virtually the same as the first iphone. Apple did an amazing job in creating a stunningly simple and well structured OS (with the hardware they had to work with) and effectively cornered themselves by making it counter intuitive to change anything. They've added to the mess by suing the pants off anyone when they 'copied' from Apple so they can't 'borrow' great functionality nor operational streamlining. They're between the proverbial rock and hard place IMO.

Well, iOS is fundamentally designed as a platform to launch apps from.

The software innovation is meant to lie within the various apps. Google have gone further than this with Android and sort of tied the OS into the apps more so than Apple via widgets and the greater degree of phone control that Android apps can have.

I like iOS for the simple nature of it, and the unified feel, but Google aren't far away from that with Jelly Bean on the Galaxy Nexus, it really is excellent.

As for what Apple could do, I'm not sure really... I think they'll be okay for the moment with keeping the innovation within the apps themselves. Perhaps some new icons though, the current ones are 'iconic', I guess, but a change wouldn't be a bad idea. Perhaps some live icons like the live tiles on WP8; so that the weather could change on the icon itself, for example. Hardly amazing innovation but a few small things like that would go a long way.

I was really looking forward to this release as my next phone iteration (i don't actually have a smart phone yet...) but i have to say, i am totally underwhelmed and disappointed by it. There is nothing that makes me want to buy this phone.

Back
Top Bottom