iRacing

Ok, I really havent a clue what I am doing on their website with regards to joining a series.

I was thinking of joining the "iRacing Street Stock Series - 2013 Season 2C Fixed" and some how managed to join a TT session and did 10 laps without pranging it, which was good, however I can see where I can register for a race, but not qualifying? Do you have to register for a race first and then you can do the quali?

you don't have to qualify to race, but it helps to get to the front of the queue from the crash merchants.

Click the big red RACE button top left under your name and score. It should then show you a tabbed box above with options to switch from race to qual etc.

It is a horrid interface and the f5 key helps.

It also doesn't allow you to move to other things whilst the current session is in place. Once you have qualified just wait and check time before then registering for the race.

Basically you can only register for one session at a time, qual TT or race. Really nasty interface, but you will get used to it. There is the red withdraw button you can us to ditch out of a finished session, then F5 to refresh and register for the next session or race.

Maybe I'm just more used to the UI but it works quite nicely for me, few other points:

To see upcoming sessions then under the series icon/selector bit there's a link for 'Sessions', this shows all upcoming Practice, TT, Qualifying and Race sessions.

Also although you can't register for more than one of the 'official' sessions you can test, so register for a race or qualifying session and then enter a test session if you want, in that session you'll get a timer to when the registered session starts.

Also with the Withdraw button, if you register for a race then whilst the timer is greater than about 1:30 you'll get a withdraw button, after that (and then during the race) it will change to "Forfeit", if you click the button when it is saying forfeit you will lose iRating!

Fun night last night. My cheapo 512mb graphics VGA card from the bay for £16 delivered turned up and within an hour I had re-configured my screens to incorporate a 4th 23incher to act as a timing / stats screen. Running iSpeed and iRDDU to show laptimes and pitboards over the centre screen. A quick glance up and I can get all the bits of info I need as well as position / laptimes etc as well as iSpeed speaking them out.

Messed with resolutions and angle and much better now on the triple head.

Had a couple of good clean oval races last night and managed a 4th place. My best yet :)

The Mrs is out tonight and the dog has had loads of walks from the dog walker today, so I am going to attempt my first oval race and join the street stock season tonight.

Whooooot! Wish me luck.

^^
Good luck.

Just drove Phillip Island for the first time in any racing game.

Managed a best time of 1:30.7 with full race fuel, seems that's quite competitive when compared to the world record times.

Probably a low participation track.

Not sure if I've got the stamina and concentration to do 80 minutes of Watkins Glen in the Grand Am series this week.

We will see.

Well I managed to do the race. Started 6th and finished 6th! Strength of field was 1242. Not sure what that means, but a finish none the less.

Im guessing prangs after the finish line doesn't affect your rating? It seems as though a few people went mental after the line had been crossed, plus I accidently smacked into someone after the line. I wasn't expecting them to slow down that much, but then I guess I wasn't expecting someone to be going sideways on the back straight. lol

What would you guys recommend as a step up from the Mazda now I'm D license? I had a quick practice session in the Cadillac but it's a bit of a beast, too much of a jump in power I think. I was looking at buying the Skip Barber, it's between that and the Mustang it seems..

Edit: watched some skip barber videos and that thing looks horrible :D Think I'll go for the mustang!

Last edited:
You can stick with the Mazda for D licence if you want to.

The Skippy isn't an easy car to drive, but other racers will tell you it's a good car to learn in.

I agree that the Cadillac is a massive jump up from the Mazda, personally I think it's harder to drive than the MP4 and the Riley and they are C and B class cars.

Last edited:
What would you guys recommend as a step up from the Mazda now I'm D license? I had a quick practice session in the Cadillac but it's a bit of a beast, too much of a jump in power I think. I was looking at buying the Skip Barber, it's between that and the Mustang it seems..

Edit: watched some skip barber videos and that thing looks horrible :D Think I'll go for the mustang!

The Skip Barber will teach you everything you need to know about car control and race craft. I'd definately recommend going with it over the Mustang. There is plenty of help on the forums, the #1 thing to remember is that it is very sensitive to lift off oversteer. Most drivers use this to their advantage to help rotate the car but you need to keep a little bit of trailing throttle on turn in to avoid spining. Once you master this it is very rewarding as with it being one of the more popular cars on the service you should find some very good close competative racing. One of my first every wins was in the Skip at Sonoma :)

Maybe I'm just more used to the UI but it works quite nicely for me
+1
But a couple of other things that help me, make an application shortcut on my desktop so i dont ahve to go to the website, use The RACE GUIDE (lays the up and coming races out in a tv guide format) Or the dashboard personal fav to see what practice servers are busy and what races people are signed up to.

@ The iracing guys using a G25/G27 been a month or two since I played, just put a new pc togther installed drivers last night for wheel, but one thing i was either driving with the setting all screwed up last time or somethings a bit weird now.

The problem when sat in the garage or spectating now my feel has some solid feedback sent to it, really hard to turn it made it near impossible to calibrate the wheel inagme. Now im sure before unless i was sat in the car the wheel had no feedback being sent to it allowing me to spin the wheel freely.

Also when I come off the track hit the garage button and if my wheel is off center, theres some force sent to the wheel that makes it center.
Now i like to have a smoke when I race and play iracing, either I've got some really good stuff or somethings a miss.
Does any of the other g25-g27 drivers get this ?

MX5 racing in a proper series, Grand touring or challenge cup. the later running pure base content so will cost you nothing. The Caddy is not a class D car its should be class C at least. If you want to step up to it by all means go for it. But beware its a lot harder to drive than cup or roadster.

I went straight to the Radical but then I've always been a bit stupid :D

Spils, with the G25 have you got the centreing spring enabled? I think it is by default and it sounds like it would cause what you're seeing...

Most people say to turn it off completely, personally I have it on but set to 15-20% for a very light force towards the centre

Spils, with the G25 have you got the centreing spring enabled? I think it is by default and it sounds like it would cause what you're seeing...

Most people say to turn it off completely, personally I have it on but set to 15-20% for a very light force towards the centre

I have mine set to centre around 30% and works well.

Had quite a few good oval races recently, got my SR from 2.5 to 3.55 now :) Best I have finished is 3rd and constantly in the top 5 now on the oval tracks.

Currently building a iRDDU dash / pit board on a 4th monitor above my triples for quick heads up on laps, best / current laps, position, fuel and distances between my current race position.

I took your advice and went for the skip barber and have just done a few laps to see what it's like. It's definitely going to take some practice, as mentioned it does feel very rewarding to drive when you let it oversteer slightly and bring it back coming out of corners but there is a thin line between that and spinning :D If I can eventually master the technique I can see it being quite fun indeed.

Back
Top Bottom