iRacing

Soldato
The Forum side is silly, not only is it a terrible forum but it's linked heavily to the main databases so it can't realistically run whilst everything is being updated.

Offline testing, it would require effort to get it working in some manner not connecting to the main site/databases, and is that really worth it for what is usually <2 days per year of downtime? downtime during a week specifically designed for downtime?

If needing the sim is really that important then fire up an offline testing session before the build and never close it...

Man of Honour
Offline testing isn't just useful for the times when iRacing is down, but when your own connection is down as well. Maybe even extend offline testing for when your subscription has lapsed as well.

Soldato
It'd take engineering time to produce some UI that worked in a purely offline manner, for what, a couple of days a year downtime? or when users internet connections are down (unfortunate but is it that frequent?).

As for once your sub has lapsed, yeah that's not gonna happen, makes no business sense considering their model. Capitalism rules :p

Also having some entirely offline mode would make it trivial for a pirate copy to made, There was already one a while back that used the offline testing mode but kicked it off with a 'fake' auth server iirc, not sure if that's still around/working or not.

Man of Honour
Would you really need a UI? Just an offline exe would do the job.

I take your point about how often would an offline function be required though.

Just mild frustration of the fact that new builds regularly means the service goes down for extended periods and is flaky for a few days afterwards. And the fact I've just spend the thick end of £1200 on new hardware and just renewed my subscription.

I played AC online last night, it's a good sim and the racing was fairly clean, but it just isn't as good.

Ah well, see what tonight brings.

Soldato
You'd want/need something to select car/track/layout/weather etc I would think? and then if they produced something you'd have people requesting features for it and so it'd just snowball.

I get the mild frustration, even when it's expected, but personally I decided long ago that week 13 was a complete break, I don't race in Week 13 and don't even think about firing up the sim till the end of the week. I quite like that, more so before when I was racing a lot but even now it's just a week where I focus on other things, that way you avoid all the mess :)

Associate
Got the ring and McLaren downloaded and had a quick stint at lunch, needless to say I didn't make it around very many corners at the ring but what an experience

The track looks great and so does the McLaren, the new noises and graphics are cool too. Especially the smoke off the front tyres when you lock up

Soldato
Checked when I got up and iRacing was back. Yay! Grabbed the 'ring, managed a lap in the Kia then had to head out to work.

I think BSR are planning a Kia race round the Nordschleife tonight in hosted. It's gonna be epic!

Not grabbed the McLaren yet, guessing there's little opportunity to use it at B-Class.

Associate
GPL is hard in this game, Lotus 49 @ the Ring. Might get round if I don't go above 30 and keep it in top gear. Looks/sounds/feels great though.

Soldato
GPL is hard in this game, Lotus 49 @ the Ring. Might get round if I don't go above 30 and keep it in top gear. Looks/sounds/feels great though.

Mistake right there.. If I talk to anyone about iracing, I make sure they know it isn't a game.

Treat it as it is, a sim for race cars. Never had to drive so gingerly in any other driving sim/game as I did hotlapping the nubergring in the mclaren..

Soldato
Same. I managed a few laps this afternoon on the Bridge to Grantry layout, 'Tourist' I think it's called, and that was great fun. Have some dinner, come back upstairs and gone again :(

Didn't even get to read Tony Gardner's thread on the forum.

*edit*
It's back - for now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This game hates my PC

An i5 4960K, 8GB RAM, 980ti running from an SSD and it stutters like crazy, even with V Sync. I should be able to max this game easy, even with triple screens and I have half the settings turned off.

Going to bite the bullet and do a clean install of Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom