iRacing

Soldato
I'm aware of that. The question from barmy was as regards RAM. Given that the 'Ring will happy use pretty much all the available RAM, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that additional RAM available for caching would be of assistance. SSD is about a minute quicker to load than a mechanical drive in my (unscientific) experience.

Associate
im using a total of 5.5gb ram on win 7 and running the ring on triples if that helps.

loading the ring on my ssd vs my 1tb wd 7200 was if i recall about 15 seconds longer,the ssd loaded in 2:15

Soldato
Guys, I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here, but I just saw this review on the Steam store page and was just wondering what you guys thought of it.

First off, I've had iRacing for years now, and I was one of those in the early days of owning it to blow my load on all of the content, so I do know where I am coming from here.

I vote no, the price is NOT justified, it's actually a WORSE physics experience than Assetto Corsa for a start, but lets give a full list of the reasons why I would NOT recommend this game.

1. The Physics : Whilst they are more realistic than most of the games people are used to this can barely be called simulation, whilst things have improved and continue to improve, the game lacks fundamental tire model elements that would define this title as a simulation. Fundamentally the iRacing engine is based off the Nascar Racing 2003 game engine, which in turn was based off the Grand Prix Legends engine of 1997.

So in a nut shell this core engine is almost 20 years old. The company themselves and most definitely the players and community like to believe the simulation models tire wear which it doesn't, all it models is that an overheated tyre is a slippy tire so basically one or two sideways moments in a lap, requires potentially 5 corners afterwards on knife-edge oversteer to let the tires cool down again [exactly the same game engine tyre properties that were there on GPL] - which in real life just isn't the case and if you're used to real life racing physics and simulation you will be fighting the car on corner entry as braking and turning on iRacing seems to overwhelm the game engine and generally send you into a low speed spin, again something that wouldn't happen in real life. Despite these short-falls they are more interested in variable weather conditions than fixing the core issues of the game engine.

2. The Price : Under no circumstance is the price of this title acceptable. Not only does it require monthly subscription but also the purchase of tracks and cars. Enjoy racing the skip barber on the North American circuits? Well next time they release a new track you can be it will be on the skip schedule almost forcing you to buy it. You don't 'purchase what you want/can' you end up being forced to make purchases whilst being given the impression it was the customers choice. 300$ plus change for all of the content. For a game? You'd expect such a price for a high end commercial simulator, but it's not, it's a nigh on 20year old game essentially and for this, it's a joke. The tracks are the service's most acclaimed piece, but realistically they botch their laser scans, the Monza oval for instance is in no way in a scanable condition, so they have essentially just created a track on the fly, not to mention the 'tech tracks'. Lets not forget, iRacing aren't the only ones who laser scan tracks now, do Assetto Corsa charge extortionate amounts because they laser scan their tracks? And IMO do a better job of it.

You can get just the same enjoyment at a tenth of the price with Assetto Corsa, or even rFactor 2 if you find a private LEAGUE to race in, rather than just trying to join some public server full of wreckers and then complain about the community of that game. Anyone who tries justify the price I garentee has most, if not ALL of the content and feels that natural urge to protect their investment [I mean nobody wants to feel like an idiot for spending 300$ on a video game do they?] which brings me on to point 3 .

3. The cult : After spending so much money on iRacing for all of the necessary content people in the community then have this natural defense mechanism on their 'investment' and will defend iRacing on all levels unjustly, refusing to listen to logical critique and hyperpraising things such as the tracks [one of the things they love to do is pretend that iRacing models tire wear, which it definitely does not].

tl;dr you pay 300$+ to get the less overall enjoyment with substandard physics than you would in a private rFactor 2 or Assetto Corsa league with. Do not confuse immersion with simulation guys! Shiney tracks and a decent public service still do not justify the price!

Personally, I've never played it and therefore have no opinion one way or another. I also realise that you'll find people heavily criticising virtually any sim for whatever reason(s).
Being a driving sim fan, I am of course curious and will probably get round to giving it a go for a month at some point.

Associate
Put simply, it's not cheap. But it's obviously affordable to a lot of us and its popularity suggests that many are happy to pay for what it offers.

I don't have the time or commitment to start plunging into the world of rfactor leagues etc. so the quality of online racing that iRacing offers is, for me, what keeps me paying my subs.

As for the technical deficiencies, it's far from perfect, but each of the sims has its strengths and weaknesses.

There are regular offers designed to tempt people such as yourself into the sim. It can feel a bit underwhelming when you start off in an MX5 at Lime Rock, but give it a chance and I think you'll find a quality that some of the other titles struggle to reach. Whether you can then afford to swallow the pricing model is purely personal.

Soldato
im using a total of 5.5gb ram on win 7 and running the ring on triples if that helps.

loading the ring on my ssd vs my 1tb wd 7200 was if i recall about 15 seconds longer,the ssd loaded in 2:15

Specs as per the sig, now with triples. iRacing plus Windows 7 was using 7.8GB RAM with 8GB physical installed.

'Ring load time on SSD was 2:30, as opposed to 3:30 ish for a WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm spinner I had lying around.

I did a couple of the Kia Cup races at 'Ring GP yesterday. I was getting in to the race session with 5-10 seconds of the 2 min practice remaining. Couple of the people I regularly race with only got in to the qualifying session when I was partway through my first flying lap.

Associate
I think a lot of people get hung up on having to race every week so they think they have to buy loads of content all the time

If budget is an issue then there are certain tracks to buy which offer the best value due to their wide use. The are spreadsheets floating around to help with this

There are also balck friday deals on subscriptions which you can use to top up your current subscription

Yes it probably costs more than other sims but the SR system keeps most people in check to provide decent racing

Soldato
Guys, I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here, but I just saw this review on the Steam store page and was just wondering what you guys thought of it.

1. The review pre-dates NTM v6 and dynamic track. The comments on the game engine are a vast over simplification IMO. There's no need to re-invent the wheel, although we'll see what DX11 brings.

That said … the 'Ring is showing up some limitations of the iRacing client. Load times for the 'Ring and the other recent higher detail tracks like Spa and COTA are long because of the amount of data to be loaded and the process being single threaded. Some are reporting issues with frame drop at the 'Ring which appears to be iRacing hitting the limits of DirectX 9 according to a comment from one of the devs on the forum :
The bottleneck is the number of drawPrim calls into DX9, each call has CPU overhead.

Turning down the number of mirrors apparently should alleviate this

2. Price is what it is. Do your MPR and earn enough credits back to cover the sub. The official race seasons count 8 of the 12 weeks so you can drop 4 weeks if you don't have the track.

3. I started iRacing because some of my console racing buddies started to transfer across when Turn 10 decided to break Forza. For me it's community. If something better turns up then I'll give it a try. I'm not beholden to iRacing or any other company.

Last edited:
Associate
as above,its not the physics or graphics which holds people to iracing its the online community,the online racing if you will.

for me assetto is better in every way than iracing graphically and physics,but cannot hold a candle to iracing for the online experiance,and that is what holds people.

Soldato
Interesting.
I can certainly appreciate the online aspects of iracing, as the public lobby situation from way back in PGR2/3 + Forza 3/4 and now Assetto is the reason I've been running in private leagues for years now.
Assetto isn't so bad in comparison to those other titles though. Well, mostly anyway.

Having real consequences for misdeeds is a definite plus for iracing.

Last edited:
Associate
as above,its not the physics or graphics which holds people to iracing its the online community,the online racing if you will.

for me assetto is better in every way than iracing graphically and physics,but cannot hold a candle to iracing for the online experiance,and that is what holds people.

Pretty much this for me. IMO AC has better graphics, better selection of car marques, and overall superior ffb. I would be interested in joining a league of gentlemen racers in AC as Ive not played online multiplayer yet.

IRacing, ridiculous slow loading, poorer graphics and UI. I prefer the braking ffb in iRacing over AC. Despite some idiots taking me out in a few recent races I think sr encourages people to race clean, and for me this is highest priority. Plus very helpful online community and great resources for hardware, setup, coaching etc.

Associate
Merry Christmas fellow Sim/iracers :D

Anyone up for it if I host an OCUK race (invite your friends etc) between Christmas and new year? Perhaps something that's a fun combination so we can still have a laugh while being competitive?

Soldato
Merry Christmas fellow Sim/iracers :D

Anyone up for it if I host an OCUK race (invite your friends etc) between Christmas and new year? Perhaps something that's a fun combination so we can still have a laugh while being competitive?

I'm in also.

Merry Xmas all..

Soldato
Managed to work my way into the top two splits of the skippy this week. Wish I hadn't bothered TBH, some of the driving is awful. Ramming, overly aggressive driving, blocking, you name it they do it.

Had more fun racing with the lower Irating guys. Too many people think their bloody Senna..

Back
Top Bottom