Iron Fist on Netflix

Caporegime
Seriously WTF, how can a Marvel show be so bad? The overall writing is just terrible. The script is diabolical, the acting is terrible, and the casting is abysmal. Danny Rand is so badly portrayed my eyes keep rolling out of my head. Ward just makes you want to slap him repeatedly. Harold is possibly the cheesiest, most unlikable person I could imagine for the role, and his acting is god damn awful.

For those comparing it to JJ and even Daredevil, words almost fail me. Even Luke Cage as a show was an Oscar contender compared to this drivel. It is easily the worst Marvel series to be brought to our screens, I can only assume there were drastic changes in the staff or something that could account for the plummet in quality over previous superhero series.

I am on episode 10 and can't wait to plough through to the end just so I can cross of it off my list.

Ugh. :(

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Seriously WTF, how can a Marvel show be so bad? The overall writing is just terrible. The script is diabolical, the acting is terrible, and the casting is abysmal. Danny Rand is so badly portrayed my eyes keep rolling out of my head. Ward just makes you want to slap him repeatedly. Harold is possibly the cheesiest, most unlikable person I could imagine for the role, and his acting is god damn awful.

For those comparing it to JJ and even Daredevil, words almost fail me. Even Luke Cage as a show was an Oscar contender compared to this drivel. It is easily the worst Marvel series to be brought to our screens, I can only assume there were drastic changes in the staff or something that could account for the plummet in quality over previous superhero series.

I am on episode 10 and can't wait to plough through to the end just so I can cross of it off my list.

Ugh. :(

yeah that is the general consensus going around. The whole production was a rush job with a ridiculous schedule. The actors were told what to do 15 mins before the take. So little wonder the choreograph was dire. This obviously is not the same people that did DD etc.

They got a stunt guy to do the fight choreography :rolleyes:. You get out what you put in.

Soldato
I waited until i finished this before commenting as i knew there would be spoilers in here. But quite impressed by this.

Shocked but this earns a respectable 3rd place behind Daredevil season 1 + 2 DD >Ironfist>rest

I liked pretty much all the characters in this. None of them annoyed me at all. I liked the way they did the story and the questioning nature what it is to be the Ironfist. I liked the various manipulations by various sides with Danny pretty much in the middle. Is the Iron fist merely a weapon to be used? Or something more etc..

Fav characters (in order)

Harold/David Wenham a very underrated actor imo (entertaining but not in the same stratosphere as Vincent)

Ward
Danny (a bit meh but ok)
Colleen (Hot!)

The rest of the characters were merely passable but nowhere near the annoyance level of a Foggy or Karen Page. These characters are annoying but Dd himself and Fisk are in a league of their own.

deleted some delusion ramblings of a nutter.

Where this is quite a bit weaker than DD is the story. The story is a bit predictable and a bit light. But its a journey of discovery for the main protagonist. I think/hope it will open up a lot more in S2.

Fight Choreography.

Its not too bad imo. Its certainly different from Daredevil but then they had to be. DD is better in this regard i think. Some of it looks a bit ridiculous tbh. And There is a bit too much of it. Its go to one location then fight goto another location Fight! etc. One minute Danny is all pally with someone ...the next he is trying to punch their faces in....hrmm.

Pretty good 6.8/10

(Dd still King though)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I waited until i finished this before commenting as i knew there would be spoilers in here. But quite impressed by this.

Shocked but this earns a respectable 2nd place behind Daredevil season 1 DD S1 > Ironfist>DD S2 >rest

I liked pretty much all the characters in this. None of them annoyed me at all. I liked the way they did the story and the questioning nature what it is to be the Ironfist. I liked the various manipulations by various sides with Danny pretty much in the middle. Is the Iron fist merely a weapon to be used? Or something more etc..

Fav characters (in order)

Harold/David Wenham a very underrated actor imo (almost as good as Vincent in DD)
Ward
Danny (a bit meh but ok)
Colleen (Hot!)

The rest of the characters were merely passable but nowhere near the annoyance level of a Foggy or Karen Page.

I think the cast is slightly better in this (not better main protagonist though or Kingpin they were both excellent). S2 of DD lost its way imo.

Where this is quite a bit weaker than DD is the story. The story is a bit predictable and a bit light. But its a journey of discovery for the main protagonist. I think/hope it will open up a lot more in S2.

Fight Choreography.

Its not too bad imo. Its certainly different from Daredevil but then they had to be. DD is better in this regard i think. Some of it looks a bit ridiculous tbh. And There is a bit too much of it. Its go to one location then fight goto another location Fight! etc. One minute Danny is all pally with someone ...the next he is trying to punch their faces in....hrmm.

Pretty good 7/10

(DD season 1 is at least an 8 btw)
Harold as good as Vincent? While I respect your opinion, I genuinely cannot fathom how someone can come to these conclusions. :confused:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Fight Choreography.

I read a lot of the comments and didn't think it was that bad either while it’s not the quality of a feature film it’s as good as most of the stuff you would usually see on TV and if the stories were true of when the actors learn the fight scenes I think the end results were pretty good.

Wouldn't rate it above any season of DD tho :p

Soldato
Harold as good as Vincent? While I respect your opinion, I genuinely cannot fathom how someone can come to these conclusions. :confused:

edit:

you are 100% right. Gravitas and presence. I was delusional...ive come to my senses now. Harold was entertaining in his own way but he doesnt have the same level of menace, weight (not physical), threat, charisma etc etc etc!

Last edited:
Soldato
Changing my mind - watching the latter half of s2 daredevil. Its another weight division completely compared to Iron fist.

I think the difference is everything DD does is hard fought, discoveries, fights, the Enemy. All come to light through effort. In Iron fist its more about the manipulations...trying to cover over a threadbare plot.

Dd is super heavyweight Iron Fist is featherweight. Good fighter but not in the same division.

reducing IF rating to 6.8/10

Soldato
I'm 3 episodes in and it's ok, not on DD level though, i like watching colleen jump around watching her boobs bounce :p That's keeping me interested for now.

Associate
any recommendations for my next series on netflix? (baring in mind I enjoyed this) I've seen all the DD/JJ/LK on Netflix now. Grimm is looking pretty tempting at the moment.

I don't want to go off topic as I am just about to watch I.F (no major knowledge of the character other than the bad press, just for completeness) but I love Grimm, just wish they would get S4+. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed The Expanse and can't wait for S2.

Caporegime
Just finished Iron Fist season 1 and I have never been so happy to see a series end. The last few episodes were turgid, underwhelming, badly written borefests. The ending was just rubbish and overall it felt so low budget. I now also completely loathe the lead actor who plays Iron Fist, he is one annoying mofo.

Considering which studio this show came from, it is utter dross. The universally bad critical reviews are justified.

Last edited:
Associate
It will be interesting to see how low my standards are given the sub-par reviews on here. I enjoy a mindless action flick and can stomach a pointless remake, if entertaining enough, but I have my limits (I'm looking at you MacGyver).

Soldato
Just finished the series and thought it was good. Lots of blood and violence, wish they'd include more swearing though, some scenes just need bad language.

Soldato
There was some bad language, bs etc but not much.

I also wondered, when they film the outside scenes in new york, are all the pedestrians aware they are filming?

Soldato
Just finished Iron Fist season 1 and I have never been so happy to see a series end. The last few episodes were turgid, underwhelming, badly written borefests. The ending was just rubbish and overall it felt so low budget. I now also completely loathe the lead actor who plays Iron Fist, he is one annoying mofo.

Considering which studio this show came from, it is utter dross. The universally bad critical reviews are justified.

Nailed the review.
Earlier in the season I thought the white washing nonsense was unfair and the show had potential.
By the (bitter) end Iron Fist had gone precisely nowhere as a character and Finn Jones acting (Physically and emotionally) were an acting/artistic void.

Supporting cast had potential but it panned out they were barely any better than the lead, if it hadn't had ties with the daredevil/defenders story I would have stopped about 2/3 through.

I see no genuine whitewashing problems, if anything asian cast member were given less clueless characters, but if you are going to cast an actor as a kung fu master pick someone who can at least move convincingly and has some emotional range beyond confused.

The writing did the character no favours, by the end Iron Fist came across as a total dunce of a spoilt child.

Please let the defenders and punisher focus on what DD 1/2 started and for god sake don't let anyone who directed any action in JJ/Luke Cage/Iron Fist anywhere near it!

Associate
i finished this a couple of weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it, however i will point out that i only watch series like this for light entertainment and not for deep story lines of perfect acting etc and it fitted right in with me

Caporegime
i finished this a couple of weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it, however i will point out that i only watch series like this for light entertainment and not for deep story lines of perfect acting etc and it fitted right in with me
I love how people say: "I only watch for light entertainment" and "not deep storylines" in order to justify liking an appalling piece of television. Bad acting, script and direction are not forgivable in any high budget production, whether intended for light entertainment or otherwise.

This series has been universally condemnded for good reason... it's ****.

Back
Top Bottom