Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Associate
Sounds.... well, just plain cancerous tbh :p
I know. When someone I knew started using them I was mortified. They literally said those words to me. You just can't tell people though, they see you as a kill joy. I've no idea what the stuff is or how it's meant to work but it does do something. It changes your skin colour and not in a nice way, it looks like you've been dipped in gravy and the explosion of moles and freckles just ruins their complexion.

So, in the face of all this, I guess I am "proud to be white" haha

Permabanned
I know. When someone I knew started using them I was mortified. They literally said those words to me. You just can't tell people though, they see you as a kill joy. I've no idea what the stuff is or how it's meant to work but it does do something. It changes your skin colour and not in a nice way, it looks like you've been dipped in gravy and the explosion of moles and freckles just ruins their complexion.

So, in the face of all this, I guess I am "proud to be white" haha

I'm surprised no one has claimed to be *supremely* proud yet, knowing a few of the more radical views on here ;)

How does one acquire the Tom Jones tangerine hue I wonder? Isn't he supposed to likely have olive skin, from another thread?

Man of Honour
I guess one can be proud as the converse seems true, given the number of products to change dark skin's appearance to be whiter, and the number of black celebrities who have attempted with varying degrees of success, to appear "whiter".. I have never seen cosmetics or other chemicals on sale to make white people's skin resemble that of a black persons. BTW, anyone seen the Heineken advert that seems to have raised some controversy?

1) Tanning involves deliberately damaging your skin in order to force it to become darker. It's very popular because naturally pale skin is unfashionable and negatively stereotyped.
2) Cosmetics to make your skin "resemble that of a black person" are seen as being automatically super-duper anti-black racist regardless of context.

Permabanned
1) Tanning involves deliberately damaging your skin in order to force it to become darker. It's very popular because naturally pale skin is unfashionable and negatively stereotyped.
2) Cosmetics to make your skin "resemble that of a black person" are seen as being automatically super-duper anti-black racist regardless of context.

2) Is not a best seller, my hand remains in my pocket ;) My money is on the pills, should they be created...

Caporegime
Soldato
I would say I'm more proud to be British, and if we're going on historical achievements of the British then that happens to be predominantly white people. Would I say I'm proud to be white? I don't know really. I guess this comes down to innate bias, from an evolutionary point of you it's just degrees of separation of group selection, at the smallest level the group size is 1 and we're genetically selfish for our own interests. The next level up would be our immediate genetic family, then extended family, then maybe it would go to race? And then on to human beings as a whole. I'm sure some biologists have looked into the tiers of group selection and with that tiers of bias.

I did see that in the US + Canada there was a 4Chan thing where people were going around putting up posters that just said "It's ok to be white", and it got attacked pretty hard. But when you think about it, what is wrong with saying that?

Man of Honour
[..] I did see that in the US + Canada there was a 4Chan thing where people were going around putting up posters that just said "It's ok to be white", and it got attacked pretty hard. But when you think about it, what is wrong with saying that?

It's a clear challenge to fashionable irrational prejudice. That's always going to be attacked by people who support whatever irrational prejudices are fashionable in that time and place. The groups it's fashionable to be irrationally prejudiced against change from time to time and place to place, but that's just a detail. The basic principle remains the same. You would, for example, probably get attacked pretty hard if you went back to high medieval England and put up posters saying "It's OK to be jewish".

Caporegime
I won’t bother going into a pointless discussion about inherited wealth (and how the inverse plagues certain ethnicities, thus being proud might constitute something mildly valid) about the above comment, I will simply say Stirling shouldn’t be proud of that.

Soldato
In a time when people seem hell bent on making him feel ashamed of himself because he is black it's hardly surprising that his reaction is to take the opposite stance. I'm of the opinion that defining sections of humanity by their differences isn't useful in the long term, but I can understand it here. Sterling and others like him didn't create the need for this, racists did.

Eventually we might get to the point where race doesn't matter but even then we will still have culture and heritage, people will still be proud or protective of those things but maybe we can exorcise the more toxic elements associated with that, namely the sense of other and the tendency to split by party lines.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm proud of the things I have done and continue to do.

I'm not proud of an accident of birth (i.e. country I was born in / skin colour / gender / height hair colour etc).

Back
Top Bottom