Israel/Palestine Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Who has to commit suicide? Why would they all die?

People seem to think that the moment Hamas say "ok we lay down our arms and we want a truce" that Israel would just go in and slaughter everyone : /

No they'd just keep on stealing their land, keep the borders shut and keep them on a crefully planned diet that kept them just above malnutrition.

Suspended

People seem to think that the moment Hamas say "ok we lay down our arms and we want a truce" that Israel would just go in and slaughter everyone : /

what is the point of living if another country
controls all your borders.
leaves you in what is essentially a prison.
removes your freedom.
Places your people on a calorie controlled diet......

They are prisoners in their own land it's evil like the nazi party did to the jews just rounding them all up into a small concentrated area

it's unforgivable

Associate
Bull****. How much of the territory Israel claims for itself was part of either Jordan or Egypt?

What have Hamas done in the last two years before this current conflict? That theory only works of you ignore the fact Israel were the only side that broke the 2012 ceasefire agreement.

Hamas hadn't fired a rocket at Israel between the 2012 ceasefire and the Israeli attack on Gaza last month. They had (successfully) set up anti rocket patrols in Gaza to stop other factions firing rockets at Israel, reducing the number of rockets fired significantly. They were joining forces with Fatah to potentially bring back full democracy to Gaza after the Hamas takeover in 2007. Israel on the other hand had withdrawn from Gaza as the 2012 ceasefire mandated but had done nothing more.

This current war is just a taste of what would happen if defensive forces of Gaza put down their weapons.

I love how you don't let facts get in the way…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Israel,_2014 indicates 191 rockets and 16 mortar rounds fired primarily from Gaza the first six months of 2014. 52 rockets, 18 mortar rounds the year before.

Suspended
not all rockets from gaza are hamas even israel knows that and admits it, when you see a huge reduction in the number of rockets fired I think its safe to assume hamas are doing what they claim.

Soldato
This current war is just a taste of what would happen if defensive forces of Gaza put down their weapons.

err yeah that's a bit of a stretch. I really don't see Hamas actually bothering the Israeli military that much. 60 odd soldiers dead is literally nothing. If they wanted to do something, Hamas really couldn't stop them.

Caporegime
Hamas put their civilians at huge risk by firing rockets into another country from densely populated areas. Simple as that.

They know full well that firing a rocket will produce a reaction from Israel and they know full well that more civilian deaths caused by Israeli strikes will only work in their favour.

They are essentially using the lives of Gaza civilians as political weapons and I can't see how anyone can even start to take the side of these monsters.

No, the rockets are a reaction to illegal Israeli acts, not the other way around. These rockets were fired this time because Israel illegally entered Gaza, illegally made mass arrests, of whom many would have been injured, hurt, and many completely innocent.

Israel is almost exclusively the aggressor, and the rockets are in retaliation to some Israel is doing 99% of the time.

Palestinian civilians are dying IN BETWEEN these larger conflicts, just not from bombs from planes, but small scale ground forces, taking/bulldozing homes, taking Palestinian land, etc, etc. People are acting like Israel is completely peaceful and does nothing wrong in between these conflicts, and only ever reacts to rocket fire.

If there was no threat of retaliation at all, Israel would have taken much much more of Palestine by now. If there is no cost to your actions, if there is no penalty, you wouldn't stop.

Unfortunately Israel(purely because of the funding they've had over the years) is now at a point where the cost in civilian deaths of their own is almost non existent, which is why they are being so aggressive, they know the cost is minor.

Israel does things like barging into Gaza to make mass arrests, over something they admit now they lied about, KNOWING Hamas would respond with rocket fire and knowing their own civilians would die.

The difference is they know the cost is tiny to them after years of building and military technology has improved, years of strangling Gaza(and as a result Hamas) financially leaving their "military" almost crippled.

Israel made those mass arrests knowing their own civilians could die, they were the aggressors, they started this entire conflict, they LIED as an excuse to provoke Palestine and then they've gone ultra offensive because they know the losses on their side would be small.

Caporegime
Stop trying to belittle the truth. He was a hostage held against his will for 5 years without access to his family or anyone else.

When you're arrested you can still see your family, lawyers, diplomats etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilad_Shalit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-of-his-five-years-held-hostage-by-Hamas.html

He was an Israeli soldier...

I take it you agree that the 400+ Palestinians kidnapped by the Israeli forces last month (that in part precipitated this war) are also hostages of Israel? As far as I am aware they are not allowed contact with family of lawyers either. At worst the guy was a prisoner of war.

If Hamas started kidnapping civilians then that would be a different story.

On a different matter it looks like the PLO are planning on signing Palestine up to the ICC so they can request it looks into war crimes committed by the Israelis. They expect Hamas and the other main militant party to sign it in Egypt. It may be used as leverage against the Israelis at the negotiations but hopefully they go through with it. It appears Hamas will be are ok with he potential of some of their leaders going up in the dock as long as Israeli forces are also investigated.

That should mean the US can't veto any war crimes trials this time...

Caporegime
No, the rockets are a reaction to illegal Israeli acts, not the other way around. These rockets were fired this time because Israel illegally entered Gaza, illegally made mass arrests, of whom many would have been injured, hurt, and many completely innocent.

Israel is almost exclusively the aggressor, and the rockets are in retaliation to some Israel is doing 99% of the time.

Palestinian civilians are dying IN BETWEEN these larger conflicts, just not from bombs from planes, but small scale ground forces, taking/bulldozing homes, taking Palestinian land, etc, etc. People are acting like Israel is completely peaceful and does nothing wrong in between these conflicts, and only ever reacts to rocket fire.

If there was no threat of retaliation at all, Israel would have taken much much more of Palestine by now. If there is no cost to your actions, if there is no penalty, you wouldn't stop.

Unfortunately Israel(purely because of the funding they've had over the years) is now at a point where the cost in civilian deaths of their own is almost non existent, which is why they are being so aggressive, they know the cost is minor.

Israel does things like barging into Gaza to make mass arrests, over something they admit now they lied about, KNOWING Hamas would respond with rocket fire and knowing their own civilians would die.

The difference is they know the cost is tiny to them after years of building and military technology has improved, years of strangling Gaza(and as a result Hamas) financially leaving their "military" almost crippled.

Israel made those mass arrests knowing their own civilians could die, they were the aggressors, they started this entire conflict, they LIED as an excuse to provoke Palestine and then they've gone ultra offensive because they know the losses on their side would be small.

Yes, but what came first, the chicken of the egg?

It is all tit for tat and you have to go back a very long way to even begin to decide who started what. Was it the Balfour declaration? The 1948 invasion of Palestine and Israel by Egypt, Jordan and Syria? The Arab-Israeli war of 1957 etc.

Caporegime
Super power? For the region maybe. Lets not lose sight of the fact that this is a terrorist organisation. Now we can have the usual arguments about your terrorist is my freedom fighter, or what else can they do yadda yadda - but the essential criteria of a terrorist organisation is that it deliberately targets civilians. Hamas meet that criteria.

Also it might shock you that they have slightly more weaponry than a couple of rusting AKs and re-purposed fireworks, such as .50 calibre sniper rifles and Iranian supplied military rockets.

Thats not to say Israel are angels here either, but trying to paint Hamas as the little fella with a couple of rocks, rather than an organisation with a long history of civilian attacks and attempts to derail peace talks between Israel and Fatah, well thats a bit much.

So you agree that Israel targetting civilians also makes them terrorists?

There are shocking double standards here, most in this thread are well aware Hamas are not saints, yet there are several here who ascribe the Israelis as being able to do no wrong, then cry antisemitism at those that dare to say Israel (not Jews) are murdering civilians.

If Israel can take hundreds of people captive, stick them in prisons, not allow access to legal representation, family or even a court of law then Hamas should be allowed to do the same, especially if they are taking only serving military personnel.

Caporegime

Yet people also appear to believe Israel are only protecting themselves and would let Gaza live in peace and harmony if Hamas laid down its weapons.

As I mentioned before the current outbreak just shows that isn't true.

Caporegime
I love how you don't let facts get in the way…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Israel,_2014 indicates 191 rockets and 16 mortar rounds fired primarily from Gaza the first six months of 2014. 52 rockets, 18 mortar rounds the year before.

I love how you don't actually read links you post (or apparently the whole of the post you quote)...

Hamas have not fired any rockets or mortars since the ceasefire, until the latest Israeli incursion (and arrest/kidnap of hundreds of Hamas members, along with the killing of several Palestinians). Other militant groups have fired rockets and mortars, however the number was significantly reduced by anti rocket patrols set up by the government (in this case Hamas).

Caporegime
err yeah that's a bit of a stretch. I really don't see Hamas actually bothering the Israeli military that much. 60 odd soldiers dead is literally nothing. If they wanted to do something, Hamas really couldn't stop them.

It causes real problems for their settlement programme though...

Soldato
Lets not lose sight of the fact that this is a terrorist organisation. Now we can have the usual arguments about your terrorist is my freedom fighter, or what else can they do yadda yadda - but the essential criteria of a terrorist organisation is that it deliberately targets civilians. Hamas meet that criteria.

personally i dont care how you label them....you can call them Hitlers nephews for all i care.

as for aiming at civilians...well only 3 of the 67 killed are civilians .i guess they are really bad shots then :p

Thats not to say Israel are angels here either, but trying to paint Hamas as the little fella with a couple of rocks, rather than an organisation with a long history of civilian attacks and attempts to derail peace talks between Israel and Fatah, well thats a bit much.

ehh . im trying to paint Hamas as a little fella with rocks rather than some organiz.........

what ???

why cant they be all of the above...i think you lost yourself there.

Soldato
I wonder if those claiming that Israel would completely destroy Gaza if there was no fighting back would also agree that if Hamas had the capabilities to kill thousands of Israeli civilians they would have also already done that?

Caporegime
ehh . im trying to paint Hamas as a little fella with rocks rather than some organiz.........

what ???

why cant they be all of the above...i think you lost yourself there.

Write 100 times...

"Israel is only defending itself from the monsters, it is innocent in all this"

Much like we were only defending ourselves in Afghanistan, except we didn't drop one tonne bombs on heavily populated areas, even if the enemy were firing rockets from that location.

Caporegime
I wonder if those claiming that Israel would completely destroy Gaza if there was no fighting back would also agree that if Hamas had the capabilities to kill thousands of Israeli civilians they would have also already done that?

And your point is?

Claiming you are better than someone else, even though you also killed someone is not going to get you off a prison sentence.

I'm hoping that will be tested again in the ICC shortly when/if Palestine do sign up.

Caporegime
Write 100 times...

"Israel is only defending itself from the monsters, it is innocent in all this"

Much like we were only defending ourselves in Afghanistan, except we didn't drop one tonne bombs on heavily populated areas, even if the enemy were firing rockets from that location.

Afghanistan were not firing rockets into UK civilian areas though so that was a completely different situation.

Suspended

if israel could nuke gaza without anyone ever knowing would they?

we can all put forth hypothetical scenarios to try and prove some crazy point but the facts are facts and that's all that matters.

Afghanistan were not firing rockets into UK civilian areas though so that was a completely different situation.
IRA were at times firing rocket launchers inside the uk and putting bombs all over.

theres still a huge wall dividing parts of ireland we didn't just bomb it to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom