[ITT: Charitable donations]Skywalker's daughter, Bethany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Regardless of who earns the money, regardless of who said what, regardless of what you are or are not doing, please, stop posting in the thread if you have nothing but arguments, nit picking and/or slandering to offer.

Soldato
Regardless of who earns the money, regardless of who said what, regardless of what you are or are not doing, please, stop posting in the thread if you have nothing but arguments, nit picking and/or slandering to offer.

Agreed and personally I don't mind what the money I donated is used for as long as it helps in even the tiniest way to make Bethany and her family find this time less painful.

Man of Honour
Good job everyone. But make sure we get Skywalkers approval. Before anyone contacts the media or any other groups.

Anyway to show up his employers (Tesco) and get them to contribute? :)

Potentially such A bad idea., if they take it the wrong way they could cause Skywalker hassle.

Soldato
I don't care if I get banned but someone needs to say this. Stop being a **** quite frankly.

Arguing when a little innocent girl is ill really shows what an **** you are.

When content fails, use emphasis. MarkyP is making valid points, as am I.

I remember James McAvoy talking about Africa and saying that the reason a lot of people don't want to give to charity isn't because they're bad people but they have trouble recognising some of the bad things in the world and in order to give money they need to acknowledge that bad things happen. Similarly, it seems that now that many people have given there is an intolerance of anyone pointing out details or doing anything other than making 'good' statements with varying levels of coherence such as trying to shame Tescos into making a donation or going to the media to show how charitable we all are (perhaps?)...

There has been a mass ignorance of facts on this issue - the money was for treatment that cannot be purchased, and this is what many people have donated the money for - there is a question of how to handle the money if it cannot be used for what donors had intended it for. I am in no way criticising the good work of the people who have organised this, who I believe have the best of intentions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When content fails, use emphasis. MarkyP is making valid points, as am I.

I remember James McAvoy talking about Africa and saying that the reason a lot of people don't want to give to charity isn't because they're bad people but they have trouble recognising some of the bad things in the world and in order to give money they need to acknowledge that bad things happen. Similarly, it seems that now that many people have given there is an intolerance of anyone pointing out details or doing anything other than making 'good' statements with varying levels of coherence such as trying to shame Tescos into making a donation or going to the media to show how charitable we all are (perhaps?)...

There has been a mass ignorance of facts on this issue - the money was for treatment that cannot be purchased, and this is what many people have donated the money for - there is a question of how to handle the money if it cannot be used for what donors had intended it for. I am in no way criticising the good work of the people who have organised this, who I believe have the best of intentions.

I disagree, i think the majority of people will have donated for the whole cause, not just the treatment.
Even if it was for the treatment, yes it can be bought, it just wont speed up the whole process.

I hope that the money is used for various things to help make the families lives a little easier in one or more ways.

Soldato
I disagree, i think the majority of people will have donated for the whole cause, not just the treatment.

My suggestion and what follows 'I disagree' do not contradict.

I think most people have gone into this blindly and probably do not care what the money is spent on, but I know that at least one is now unhappy. It is also unethical to shift the emphasis of a 'charity' donation once the money has been collected.

Caporegime
My suggestion and what follows 'I disagree' do not contradict.

I think most people have gone into this blindly and probably do not care what the money is spent on, but I know that at least one is now unhappy. It is also unethical to shift the emphasis of a 'charity' donation once the money has been collected.

It was known quite early on that MRI scans arent that expensive, the low end of the scale (£200) was met within 5 minutes of the fund opening.
We are now well over the intial MRI slice scans that are needed, is it unethical to continue collecting?

For anyone posting blindly, they cannot be considered tbh.
For those who are unhappy, feel free to ask for the money back.

Associate
tbh there is a simple way to end this. anyone who wants their money back can ask for it back. other than that it must be assumed that everyone has agreed to the money being used in any way skywalker wants. i think it is disgusting that people are talking about giving money back because the procedure isnt being done or whatever. who cares.

to skywalker: please dont listen to the few ppl moaning, the very large majority, including myself, are more than happy for you to take the money and use it to help your life in whatever way possible :D

Associate
Like has been said before as long as some of the money is used to buy Bethany a huge teddy thats bigger then her then its up to you what happens to the rest as far as i am concerned!

Bar

Bar

Soldato
It was known quite early on that MRI scans arent that expensive, the low end of the scale (£200) was met within 5 minutes of the fund opening.
We are now well over the intial MRI slice scans that are needed, is it unethical to continue collecting?

For anyone posting blindly, they cannot be considered tbh.
For those who are unhappy, feel free to ask for the money back.

In terms of the MRI scan that was covered instantly.

This was not what the donation was about. The donation was about a freewill gesture of support giving money to help someone out. It was done without conditions or bias.

Skywalker has been fully honest in every way and I think the attitudes of certain posters is disgusting.

From being a wonderful example of generousity and support it is beginning to descend into something much worse.

Grow up and be greatful that you are not in the position that Skywalker and his family find themselves in.

Associate
to skywalker: please dont listen to the few ppl moaning, the very large majority, including myself, are more than happy for you to take the money and use it to help your life in whatever way possible :D

+1

Although I think people should not be asking for money back.

1. This would be a hard task for one man to complete if a lot of people start asking for it and not fair on Gilly to expect this.
2. People need to keep things in perespective. OCUk is not an organised and registered charity. There is no mission statement to say what donnations will and will not be used for. With this in mind the people who donated should realise this and be happy that they are able to help this little girl and her deserving family in anyway they can, regardless of what the cash buys.

Can we please put a stop to all the bickering in this thread?

Bar

Bar

Soldato

I was in agreement with you and my post should be read in support of your previous post.

People moaning about how the money is being spent - if that is all they have to worry about then they should consider themselves very lucky.

Associate
i only put a tenner in the paypal but if thay want to use my money to buy bethany her fav pizza thats fine with me tbh
the money is there to help in any way it can not just one way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom