January Transfer Window 2010/2011 Season Rumours/Signings

Man of Honour
As for Johnson, I think the fact he's been so solid at left back proves he's got it in him to be good defensively as well as offensively but he probably has to concentrate more playing on the left than he does the right so makes less mistakes.

Would be interesting to see how many passes to Johnson he has had since being on the left too, could be that less mistakes are made because the team plays through him less with him being on the left rather than right.

Caporegime
If reina wants to go, go.

Really don't think hes like nando tho, although I did say nando would never do it.
Nice to see shagger call us ****(exact words) under woy and he'd never join another English club or rival.

Caporegime
SAF keeps on saying "Utd /I have learnt my lesson after taking 6 years /10 goalies to find the right person after Peter Schmiechel before VDS arrived, We will buy experience this time" - means Utd wont even try for Reina lol (ie because he is saying that - he will go for one of the players who hasnt got EPL experience lol)

This is the same SAF who hasnt been able to buy a decent Centre midfielder since roy keano?

Apart from my personal opinion of Anderson, we have had a catalogue of expensive flops and cheap misgrients. This is why we are struggling now. Our midfield is getting dominated by people who should nopt be able to do so.

If you counted up the amount of spend on rubbish center mids it goes like this:

Veron - 30 million. (okay not terrible but excepitonally bad value for money, repreived only by romanski)
Carrick - 18 million Woeful having his worst season.. ever?
Hargreaves 18 million. Injured when we signed him, even worse now (i.e more injuries to insult) not played enough to justify the cost.

Kleberson 7.5mil. Awful.
Djemba ?? horrendous
Liam Miller tragic that he ever joined man utd

Who else was there?

Anderson 18 million. i think a talent but currently not justified the price.

Home grown:

Fletcher - old now (i.,e no longer a prospect who mighr become good one day..) and still about as useful as a headless chicken. i.e good on occasion when running around without the ball helps.
Gibson - great at breaking car windows from 30 yards. Useless at everything else.

People like fletcher, also a weak player, can only barely function as a centre midfielder when we have 3 centre mids on the pitch. because the 3 of carrick, fletcher and any of the others cannot do the job that Keane and Scholes did by themselves years ago.

If you look at other big teams they all have good strong centre midfields. Ours is based around scholes and scholes + 2 others.

We are so fortunate to have had the talent of giggs, scholes and beckham to come through as they did. Good signing keane. You can tell by the way we are still clinging on to them at 35 years + that we have failed miserably to replace some of these key na,es.

Last edited:
Soldato
Poorer quality of tackling = worse fouls = more cards.

That was a real tough one.

Just recalled this argument watching the Spurs game last night. Compare:

The red card given for Christian Fernandez's tackle for Racing Santander (at 2:17 http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/racing-santander-sevilla-8483469/)
The yellow card given for Flamini's tackle on Corluka last night
The no foul given for Eidur Gudjohnsen's two-footed tackle on Malouda on Monday night

If you think the quality of tackling is what causes the number of cards in La Liga, you're way off the mark. The referees dish red cards out for tackles that wouldn't get a yellow in England, they make the officials in Europe look lenient!

Soldato
a few rumnours coming out that Utd are on the verge of getting a Belgian 16-year old starlet from Anderlecht (in the summer)

I know club's are businesses but I really dont like this tactic - it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth when I hear about this kind of thing (whatever club is involved)

The old club get a pay-off but probably not what the kid is worth by any means.

Am I right in thinking that he is young enough to count as home grown before the age limit (I think its 21 isnt it)?

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/united-offer-incredible-contract-to-land-belgian-b

Soldato
Also a lot of talk of De Rossi to Utd, would love it but its surely doubtful :(

Ive heard that rumour - but trying not to think about it (would be an immense signing, but unlikely considering he has already turned us down previously)

.....one of these days he'll get sick of winning nothing at Roma.

You could say that about the majority of the Arsenal / Liverpool teams too ......

\backs out of thread fast :)

Caporegime
a few rumnours coming out that Utd are on the verge of getting a Belgian 16-year old starlet from Anderlecht (in the summer)

I know club's are businesses but I really dont like this tactic - it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth when I hear about this kind of thing (whatever club is involved)

The old club get a pay-off but probably not what the kid is worth by any means.

Am I right in thinking that he is young enough to count as home grown before the age limit (I think its 21 isnt it)?

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/united-offer-incredible-contract-to-land-belgian-b

Remember, at 16 you're going to end up giving a "starlet" 10k a week, or half a mil a year. Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea will have 10 of those players, and by 21 they are lucky to have a single player actually turn out to be a great player, but 10 players for 5 years on half a mill a year, add's up.

Yes, sometimes you hold on to a promising kid and make some really good money, but its rare, very rare, half a mil at 16 is pretty decent seeing as they could pay that same kid 2-3mil and at 21 see him leave football forever.

Also think to guys like Walcott, and now Chamberlain maybe, supposedly Utd/Pool/Arsenal/Spurs all interested, yet the fee is only 10mil and no one wanted to give 10mil outright upfront.

Rooney was somewhat proven, and in the prem league and a little older and went for a silly fee.

Dzeko went to Wolfburg for 27k I think it was, but he could have turned out to be utterly crap in higher leagues. For every player who ends up worth 20mil +, you've paid and trained 100's or 1000's of youth players who cost a couple million a piece and turn out to be rubbish.

AS for homegrown, yes, all he needs to do is train for 3 years before the age of 21 in the uk(or england, not sure actually), under 21 they don't count towards the 25 anyway.

Soldato
Reports that Evra has signed a new 4 year deal (reports earlier indicated he would anyway to get a decent transfer for Utd in gratitude to the club)

Either way its good news

I know the amount talked about is nothing really to the big clubs - but its the manner of these starlet transfers - just wish all the big clubs should be more honourable to the smaller ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom