January Transfer Window 21/22

Caporegime
Ramsey next? He's allowed to leave Juventus in the transfer window.

Trippier's a great signing for Newcastle. He's an improvement on what they've got, he's good in defence and decent in attack. He probably won't win anything in his time there but he's a stepping stone towards future success like Wayne Bridge, Robinho, and Bellamy were for City.

Caporegime
It was a dumb interview to give but I don't think he meant it in the way the media suggested he meant it.

He was idolised by the Inter supporters and they weren't best pleased when he left. I think he tried to mend bridges rather than imply he wanted to re-join them again even if his choice of words suggested a return was on the cards. Obviously the response from Chelsea, Tuchel and the Inter ultras probably forced him in to making an apology.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ramsey next? He's allowed to leave Juventus in the transfer window.

Pretty sure Ramsey is on a crazy wage like £400k/w so unless Newcastle are crazy or he is crazy then they aren't getting him.

It was a dumb interview to give but I don't think he meant it in the way the media suggested he meant it.

I don't know. He was pretty clear and it was a fantastically stupid thing to do. I think he is just a man-child who needs to be given constant validation and made to feel like billy big ******** or he throws his toys out of the pram. One of the least professional players out there IMO. He was the same at United. When he isn't happy he lets your know about it either through crap like this or simply by letting himself go and putting on weight and generally not putting in the work.

Don
I agree with wanting better, younger players. The problem is we're 19th and not many players want a relegation dogfight if they're good enough to be attracted to mid tier or above clubs.

I think Trippier is still far better than what we've god and will do a job for us for the next 2 years (the contract we've offered is 2.5 years) and his name may help us to become more attractive to others. He's been playing week in and out at AM so I'm happy he'd hit the ground running for us. What I am concerned by is getting rejects from other PL clubs for stupid money because as you say, they really won't work out well.
It's not just about better or younger players but hungrier players. Players need something to motivate them to perform and it's difficult to see what will drive somebody like Trippier moving forwards. He's got his final big pay day so there's no financial incentive for him to perform. There's no real prospect of a big move in the future to drive him on and he's probably not going to be in the England squad moving forwards. Maybe I'm being harsh on him and he has personal pride and will perform to his best regardless but too often that's not the case.

It's a bit of a loose example as I don't know much about him but using the lad Everton have just signed as an example. Newcastle could have overpaid him to persuade him to join them over Everton. Yes, money would have been the deciding factor in his decision but at least you've got a player with his career in front of him. Instead of a player that's just seeing out the end of his career, earning as much as he can before it's too late, you've got a player that will be looking to progress to bigger and better things, whether that be with Newcastle or through a move to a bigger side in the future.

Soldato
It's not just about better or younger players but hungrier players. Players need something to motivate them to perform and it's difficult to see what will drive somebody like Trippier moving forwards. He's got his final big pay day so there's no financial incentive for him to perform. There's no real prospect of a big move in the future to drive him on and he's probably not going to be in the England squad moving forwards. Maybe I'm being harsh on him and he has personal pride and will perform to his best regardless but too often that's not the case.

It's a bit of a loose example as I don't know much about him but using the lad Everton have just signed as an example. Newcastle could have overpaid him to persuade him to join them over Everton. Yes, money would have been the deciding factor in his decision but at least you've got a player with his career in front of him. Instead of a player that's just seeing out the end of his career, earning as much as he can before it's too late, you've got a player that will be looking to progress to bigger and better things, whether that be with Newcastle or through a move to a bigger side in the future.

I see your point about Patterson vs Trippier example, however Patterson does not have the experience Trippier does nor the leadership at this current moment, Southgate has mentioned previous times about how big Trippier is in the England dressing room.

The main point in all this is that Newcastle literally need to throw big cash at some experienced and proven players. Patterson has also never played in the prem and has no experience. Could they afford to take a gamble on the likes of Patterson with their transfers right now on the edge of relegation? There will be pros and cons to every transfer target they have, like you say Trippier has found the last payday and will he still have motivation, thats the big question I think they'll face with every day, because as soon as every targets hears Newcastle are interested they want huge wages anyway.

Don
I see your point about Patterson vs Trippier example, however Patterson does not have the experience Trippier does nor the leadership at this current moment, Southgate has mentioned previous times about how big Trippier is in the England dressing room.

The main point in all this is that Newcastle literally need to throw big cash at some experienced and proven players. Patterson has also never played in the prem and has no experience. Could they afford to take a gamble on the likes of Patterson with their transfers right now on the edge of relegation? There will be pros and cons to every transfer target they have, like you say Trippier has found the last payday and will he still have motivation, thats the big question I think they'll face with every day, because as soon as every targets hears Newcastle are interested they want huge wages anyway.
As I said, it was a fairly loose example. The point was simply that I'd rather have a player that has something to prove or play for than somebody drifting towards the end of their career. By signing Trippier Newcastle are hoping that his personal pride is enough to motivate him to perform - he's not playing to further his career from a football point of view, where as somebody that's younger and their career in front of them will hopefully be motivated by more than the wages Newcastle are offering them.

Soldato
As I said, it was a fairly loose example. The point was simply that I'd rather have a player that has something to prove or play for than somebody drifting towards the end of their career. By signing Trippier Newcastle are hoping that his personal pride is enough to motivate him to perform - he's not playing to further his career from a football point of view, where as somebody that's younger and their career in front of them will hopefully be motivated by more than the wages Newcastle are offering them.
The older player is proven quality though, the younger player is a gamble, he could well never be good enough for the Prem where Trippier is good enough. Newcastle need trippier to play close to his best for 18 months if they avoid relegation this season and then finish well next they will have access to a different league of player. Trippier is quality and I suspect fancies a shot at the World Cup which he will get if he does well for Newcastle. Plenty of old pro’s in the premier league doing great jobs week in week out what does James Milner have to prove?

Don
The older player is proven quality though, the younger player is a gamble, he could well never be good enough for the Prem where Trippier is good enough. Newcastle need trippier to play close to his best for 18 months if they avoid relegation this season and then finish well next they will have access to a different league of player. Trippier is quality and I suspect fancies a shot at the World Cup which he will get if he does well for Newcastle. Plenty of old pro’s in the premier league doing great jobs week in week out what does James Milner have to prove?
I'm not talking about signing a 17 year old. I said in my earlier post somebody in their early 20's, who would be of proven quality too.

I don't think Trippier is quality and I don't believe he'll be close to the England squad in 12 months time either. As for your 'plenty of old pros' and Milner comparison, these old pros didn't take a massive backwards step in their career (from a football point of view) to get a big pay day so it's far harder to question their motives. When money is the motivation for a player to move clubs then I'd want some sort of secondary motive so that you're not stuck with a Sanchez, Aubameyan or SWP at QPR, who have no interest in playing for anything. How many times has a player in the latter stages of their career taken this backwards step in the past, for a big pay day and it ended well? I'm struggling to think of many where as there's a fair few examples of it going very wrong, whether that be signings or new contracts for aging players.

I may well be proven wrong and Trippier turns out to be the model professional who puts 100% in but I'd rather sign somebody 8-10 years younger that I know has a career in front of him to play for and won't just go through the motions until he eventually retires or is paid off to join one of the Milan sides.

Soldato
I'm not talking about signing a 17 year old. I said in my earlier post somebody in their early 20's, who would be of proven quality too.

I don't think Trippier is quality and I don't believe he'll be close to the England squad in 12 months time either. As for your 'plenty of old pros' and Milner comparison, these old pros didn't take a massive backwards step in their career (from a football point of view) to get a big pay day so it's far harder to question their motives. When money is the motivation for a player to move clubs then I'd want some sort of secondary motive so that you're not stuck with a Sanchez, Aubameyan or SWP at QPR, who have no interest in playing for anything. How many times has a player in the latter stages of their career taken this backwards step in the past, for a big pay day and it ended well? I'm struggling to think of many where as there's a fair few examples of it going very wrong, whether that be signings or new contracts for aging players.

I may well be proven wrong and Trippier turns out to be the model professional who puts 100% in but I'd rather sign somebody 8-10 years younger that I know has a career in front of him to play for and won't just go through the motions until he eventually retires or is paid off to join one of the Milan sides.
Find an early 20’s international standard right back who is a) available for a low transfer fee and b) willing to join Newcastle? Saying trippier isn’t quality is crazy he has been playing well at a very high level for long enough, he won la liga and played in the euro finals less than a year ago! I don’t think he is suddenly
Going to turn into Cafu but even playing at 90% till the end of the season he is better than what Newcastle have. I’m not even really buying into the money motivation he has been looking for a move back to England for a while hence all the links over the summer, sure Newcastle will be lying him handsomely but I doubt that is his only reason for coming back.

Don
Find an early 20’s international standard right back who is a) available for a low transfer fee and b) willing to join Newcastle? Saying trippier isn’t quality is crazy he has been playing well at a very high level for long enough, he won la liga and played in the euro finals less than a year ago! I don’t think he is suddenly
Going to turn into Cafu but even playing at 90% till the end of the season he is better than what Newcastle have. I’m not even really buying into the money motivation he has been looking for a move back to England for a while hence all the links over the summer, sure Newcastle will be lying him handsomely but I doubt that is his only reason for coming back.
I'm not a football scout and I'm not going to throw a load of football manager names at you that I've never seen but I fail to believe that there aren't fullbacks at least as good as him for similar or lower fees (relative to their age as £12m for a 31 year old is very expensive). Liverpool signed a 24 year old International fullback (yes he's a left back before somebody says something) for around £12m 18 months ago, who has shown he's at least as good as Trippier and given his age is effectively a lot cheaper. Given the state of finances in most other European Leagues, there should be huge amount of value to be had for PL sides.

Back
Top Bottom