Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2018, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2018 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten.

• Total voters
Soldato
I rewatched the race and it occurred to me that when Vettel tried to pass Vertappen and came a cropper he was trying much the same thing he did when he tried to pass Hamilton at Monza and came a cropper.

Man of Honour
I rewatched the race and it occurred to me that when Vettel tried to pass Vertappen and came a cropper he was trying much the same thing he did when he tried to pass Hamilton at Monza and came a cropper.

And it was a left hander too...

Vettel better not go to Indycar or Nascar after F1 if he can't turn left. ;)

Man of Honour

I thought exactly the same. He had the same blame to give after the race too! The crash kid never learns.

Caporegime
Hamilton is a great driver. But there are many years, most actually, where you only have to be better than your team mate when car is good. Take button in the brawn year as a great example.

But that's f1. Its always been. This year is a bit different. He's genuinely beaten 3 other drivers. And vettel in particular. Mercedes have also beaten ferrari. It's particularly rewarding for them as they've done it on track and off, as opposed to just having the fastest car.

Just a shame the other drivers are support drivers. Unlike Rosberg.

Soldato
I thought exactly the same. He had the same blame to give after the race too! The crash kid never learns.

Yes, it was a tactic with a chance of failure that would either send him or his opponent off track and he admitted it at Monza. It just so happened that on both occasions it was he who (deservedly IMHO) came a cropper.

Soldato
Feels like we're quite literally back at the status quo of the last 4 seasons now with Merc getting the pipe and slippers out cruising home to the titles.

Ferrari need to find another 'different interpretation of the rules' at the start of the next season to compete, and hope that they actually capitalise on it this time before they get caught rather than squander it!!
They were the better team (not always fastest, but better) for the first half of the season, even before any supposed magic tricks. Had Vettel and Ferrari not cocked-up in mid to late season then they'd probably have had a big enough lead to not need to do such desperate maneuvers as Monza and Suzuka.

Ferrari will still be challengers next year. They won't need any trick (any more than any other team) to largely compete in the same area. This season was their best chance since 2008 but they'd built on an already strong car and there's no reason to suggest next year will be any different. Whether they can be more consistent and error-free on the track is another matter.

Soldato
The race itself would get a 6/10 but add in the fact it's Suzuka and Japan in general is an awesome place I gave it an 8/10. The fans are awesome too :)

Soldato
Does anyone know when Sebs contract is up? I can see Ferrari dumping him and getting a number two to Charles, who i think will trounce Seb next year and will be Ferrari's best chance of glory.

Soldato
End of 2020.

That said, Alonso left Ferrari with 2 years remaining on this contract...

But Alonso wanted out, and you can't make a driver get the best out of your car if he doesn't want to be there. Alonso was fed up fighting for fourth of fifth place at Ferrari when he wanted a championship winning car. Unluckily for him, he got conned by Ron Dennis to join the Maclaren/Honda project that has been an even bigger disaster than Alonso's Ferrari team, and now no one wants an expensive Alonso that is divisive and bad-mouths the team. Even this year with the new Renault engine shows that Maclaren is still lost at sea, and no doors are open for Alonso in Formula One.

It's a shame, because I'm sure Alonso could have done a lot more with this year's Ferrari than Vettel is doing, let alone not making all of Vettel's schoolboy errors.

alx

alx

Soldato
But Alonso wanted out, and you can't make a driver get the best out of your car if he doesn't want to be there. Alonso was fed up fighting for fourth of fifth place at Ferrari when he wanted a championship winning car. Unluckily for him, he got conned by Ron Dennis to join the Maclaren/Honda project that has been an even bigger disaster than Alonso's Ferrari team, and now no one wants an expensive Alonso that is divisive and bad-mouths the team. Even this year with the new Renault engine shows that Maclaren is still lost at sea, and no doors are open for Alonso in Formula One.

It's a shame, because I'm sure Alonso could have done a lot more with this year's Ferrari than Vettel is doing, let alone not making all of Vettel's schoolboy errors.

It's a shame we haven't got to see him in this Ferrari

Soldato
Has anyone managed to successfully overtake Verstappen this year without any contact? I don't want to add to Crashstappen because of course he isn't always at fault, but it does seem that his driving style just attracts contact when anyone gets close to him.

Man of Honour
OP
It's a shame we haven't got to see him in this Ferrari

Not just this year, last year Alonso would have taken Lewis down to the wire with the 2017 Ferrari too.

I do feel this generation has been robbed of a proper Hamilton/Lewis rivalry, but that's largely down to Fernando himself when he's outside of the cockpit.

Soldato
Not just this year, last year Alonso would have taken Lewis down to the wire with the 2017 Ferrari too.

I do feel this generation has been robbed of a proper Hamilton/Lewis rivalry, but that's largely down to Fernando himself when he's outside of the cockpit.

Are you suggesting that we won't get any good racing until Hamilton is racing another car against himself? Let's face it, if anyone can do it, he can...

Man of Honour
OP
Oops :p Hamilton/Alonso I meant!

Looking forward to seeing how Leclerc does. Hopefully Lewis sticks around long enough for title battles vs Leclerc/Max/Ocon. Would love to see a strong Renault with Hulk/Ricciardo too, but looks unlikely.
Young promising Brits too in Russell and Norris.

Soldato
Has anyone managed to successfully overtake Verstappen this year without any contact? I don't want to add to Crashstappen because of course he isn't always at fault, but it does seem that his driving style just attracts contact when anyone gets close to him.
Yes! I remember seeing it a few races ago and thinking to myself 'That was cleaner than I thought it was going to be', but I can't remember who it was or where :)

Young promising Brits too in Russell and Norris.
Unfortunately they'll be in the two slowest cars next year. I fear they'll end up going the way of Vandoorne; stellar junior careers and dumped in ignominy in a year or two's time.

Back
Top Bottom