"Just stop oil"

Soldato
from what i have seen motorists are bascially mowing them over how does that stand with the law ?

I've not seen any footage of people being 'mown over'. Plenty of footage of people being slowly pushed along giving them plenty of opportunity to hop out of the way but choosing not to for some idiotic reason....

Last edited:
Soldato
Regardless of your reasons - pushing someone along using a car should immediately result in your licence being taken away for a VERY long time.

It's akin to pointing a loaded gun at someone - even if you have no intention of pulling the trigger.

I disagree. If you're stupid enough to stand in traffic and the drivers are careful/skilful enough to *not* run you over while encouraging you out of the road they absolutely should keep their license.

Caporegime
OP
Regardless of your reasons - pushing someone along using a car should immediately result in your licence being taken away for a VERY long time.

It's akin to pointing a loaded gun at someone - even if you have no intention of pulling the trigger.

I'd love to see that argument play out on a train track.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The end.

Soldato
Limited UK refinery capacity - we need to (re)commission some new ones, to brew our own diesel/petrol.

Were the JSO protestors aware of irony of daubing dinosaurs, as in, human 2.0 may do the same for our skeletons in the future

Soldato
Limited UK refinery capacity - we need to (re)commission some new ones, to brew our own diesel/petrol.

Not sure that’s a wise long term investment at this point. We are literally about to hit peak petrol/diesel usage.

23% of new cars are plug in, nearly 17% are full BEV.

Soldato
Is that worldwide?

I was referring specifically to the U.K. in the context above of investing in building new U.K. oil refineries to secure local supplies.

However, yes, worldwide peak petrol/diesel is not that far away either. Within years, perhaps a decade but certainly not decades.

Soldato

Let's play spot the guy that wears lycra !

Soldato
Not sure that’s a wise long term investment at this point. We are literally about to hit peak petrol/diesel usage.

23% of new cars are plug in, nearly 17% are full BEV.

But 0 for commercial, shipping, agricultural and aircraft. Because batteries are useless for that.

Also oil is used in, or to make a lot of other products. Including equipment used to make and deliver EVs...

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I dunno in this case I see it more like walking across a firing range... then complaining people were pointing a gun at you.

Soldato
But 0 for commercial, shipping, agricultural and aircraft. Because batteries are useless for that.

Also oil is used in, or to make a lot of other products. Including equipment used to make and deliver EVs...

I hate to state the blindingly obvious, but not building new refineries does not equal closing our existing refineries and the capacity they have.

We predominantly import petrol and diesel which we are about to hit peak usage of due to falling sales of ICE cars. Existing capacity isn’t going anywhere.

That said, commercial road vehicles are going electric…. that much is obvious.

Agriculture will probably follow suit for most of their use.

Covid and the following economic chaos has impacted the the data but you can see it starting here:

Road fuels for cars in Norway has dropped 20% already. Increased HGV use is keeping diesel from dropping dramatically but it’s only a matter of time.

Associate

Were the JSO protestors aware of irony of daubing dinosaurs, as in, human 2.0 may do the same for our skeletons in the future
Really?
The rac paint a different picture on the usage of petrol.
Yes diesel is still high but that's going to die as ev hgvs take over:)

Soldato
[
Really?
The rac paint a different picture on the usage of petrol.
Yes diesel is still high but that's going to die as ev hgvs take over:)
post a few pages earlier - which asserts nashers point about jet fuel too (pity you can't run the car on that lower duty fuel - I thought - the govt subsidising tourism)
agree it maybe uneconomic to process oil in our refineries even if we have the capacity

eg 'uk oil refinery capacity versus demand' https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/1174047/DUKES_2023_Chapter_3.pdf

Imports of petroleum products increased 16 per cent in 2022 compared to 2021, reflecting theincrease in demand and decrease in production. Diesel held the largest share of product imports,making up 46 per cent of the total product imports and quantities have increased by 10 per cent on 2021.Russia was a major import source for diesel before the invasion of Ukraine, making up over a third of dieselimports in 2019. In 2022, Russia made up only 15 per cent of diesel imports ahead of the ban implemented inDecember, and subsequently indigenous production of diesel increased by 14 per cent in 2022 compared to2021. Petrol imports increased by 4.1 per cent in 2022.Imports of jet fuel, the second largest share of product imports, increased by 78 per cent in2022 as demand for international travel continued to recover. Jet fuel made up a quarter of allproduct imports in 2022, as demand for jet fuel doubled in the UK. The main imports source for jet fuel wereGulf Cooperation Council countries such as Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia.

In 2022, UK production of primary oils fell to an all-time low at 38 million tonnes, this was 8 percent lower than in 2021. Contributing factors included extensive summer maintenance in 2022 which reducedproduction volumes for the remainder for the year.Demand for primary oils increased by 12.4 per cent compared to 2021. Due to continued low production andrefinery maintenance, exports decreased by 10 per cent to 31 million tonnes, compared to peak exports of 90million tonnes in 2000. Imports increased by 12 per cent on 2021 to help meet demand. The UK returned tobeing a net importer of primary oils at 16 million tonnes, the highest net imports of primary oil since 2015.In 2022, refineries took receipt of 7.1 million tonnes of crude produced from the UKContinental Shelf (UKCS), meeting 13 per cent of refinery demand. (see Energy Trends Table 3.10).The UK is reliant on imports to meet refinery demand for specific crude types.
]

Soldato
There is no denying that there are wider impacts in the data but ultimately there are a near 1 million plug in vehicles on the roads in the U.K. now which means less fuel is being purchased that was otherwise would be.

It’s obvious that it’s going to have an impact, WfH or not.

post a few pages earlier - which asserts nashers point about jet fuel too (pity you can't run the car on that lower duty fuel - I thought - the govt subsidising tourism)

There is no tax on jet fuel and it’s got absolutely nothing to do with the government wanting to subsidise tourism.

The government couldn’t apply a tax on jet fuel even if it wanted to without breaching a very longstanding international treaty which permits air travel.

Look up the Chicago Convention on Civil Aviation. Then look up why air passenger duty was introduced.

Caporegime
OP
However, yes, worldwide peak petrol/diesel is not that far away either. Within years, perhaps a decade but certainly not decades.

I'll believe it when I see it, I've been to quite a few countries where electrification is so far down their list of priorities that it'll probably be the better part of a century for them to rely less on dead dino juice.

Soldato
I'll believe it when I see it, I've been to quite a few countries where electrification is so far down their list of priorities that it'll probably be the better part of a century for them to rely less on dead dino juice.
Given most fossil fuels are consumed by 'the west' and its 'the west' who are the ones aggressively pursuing things like electric cars (bar Japan), it may happen a lot sooner than you think.

Back
Top Bottom