Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Well I had mine done yesterday and I've just got back from my first checkup today. Its typical, its one of the nicest weekends of the year so far and I'm stuck indoors with sunglasses on! My eyes are ridiculously photosensitive and on the car journey down for my checkup they were watering constantly, I must have looked like I had the hangover from hell!

The actual op itself was a bit of a nonevent.. I was really nervous about it beforehand, but in the end it didn't hurt at all and was only mildly uncomfortable when he first put the eye spreader in.

The worst part was when I got home, about an hour later I could barely open my eyes as they were watering so much and throbbing like hell! I just took the pain killers and went to sleep and this morning I 'm mostly fine apart from the photosensitivity!

And how great is it being able to wake up and not have to look for my glasses, and to be able to use my laptop with no glasses on! :D

Soldato
If anyone wants a 10% ultralase voucher let me know as I've got some from them after my procedure. You have to use this voucher when booking your initial free consultation though.

Associate
Who did you end up booking with and how much is it costing you? I was -8 in both eyes with a slight astigmatism too.

Optical Express was my first route of call, but after the consultation at Harley Street they couldn't do it.

I then was suggested Dr Habib by my local optician.

At the local Nufield Plymouth you need to be 21 and being 20 I was a bit annoyed, however Dr Habib at the Nufield refereed me to one of his consultants who I was delighted to find out was is Dr Patel (The surgeon who worked on Katie Piper's eyes (Celeb blinded by acid attack(http://www.katiepiperfoundation.org.uk/laser-treatments/)))

Price is around the £5k mark, but to be honest I know I'm in good hands and you cant put a price on your eyes.

Bring on the 18th and Summer :D

Soldato
Guy's you should really shop around and go for a few free consultations. It's your eyes does the price matter at all really? You just want the best possible treatment. And really find out about the treatment and why someone is charging you £3,000 and the other charging you £4,000. For example I know Optical Express don't do the same high grade treatment as Ultralase have to offer if your eyes are really bad and that's what is required. They use stupid branding and call things 'elite' and 'elite plus' but there is a difference than just basic wavefront and improved newer wavefront technology.

Associate
I totally agree with Vegeta, your eyes can't just be replaced. "Buy cheap, buy twice" saying dosent work with your eyes. Pay a premium, to have the best possible treatment or don't pay at all, it's your life your playing with.

Another reason I went for a private laser operation.

Soldato
I totally agree with Vegeta, your eyes can't just be replaced. "Buy cheap, buy twice" saying dosent work with your eyes. Pay a premium, to have the best possible treatment or don't pay at all, it's your life your playing with.

Another reason I went for a private laser operation.

this.

not something you want to skimp on. I had mine done 2.5 years ago, still going strong, no issues after a little bit of dry eyes and blurry night vision in the first month or so.

Soldato
Has your prescription changed much recently Evoss? I wouldn't be getting it done at 20 personally I'd wait until 24/25 otherwise you might end up wearing glasses again in a few years time.

Good choice on the LASEK though. I wish people would read up more and go for LASEK. It may take longer to heal properly, there is some pain involved but it is cheaper and in the long run a much better option than having a flap in your eye.

Associate
Has your prescription changed much recently Evoss? I wouldn't be getting it done at 20 personally I'd wait until 24/25 otherwise you might end up wearing glasses again in a few years time.

Good choice on the LASEK though. I wish people would read up more and go for LASEK. It may take longer to heal properly, there is some pain involved but it is cheaper and in the long run a much better option than having a flap in your eye.

My prescription has been steady for the past 4 years.

Last edited:
Soldato

After doing lots of reading I was hoping they would offer me LASEK and they did. I figured I'd rather have a bit of pain now and have less chance of problems in the future. Plus I really didn't like the thought of having a flap..

After the first afternoon I haven't really had any pain and even then it wasn't too bad, nothing the painkillers didn't fix. I get the odd sensation of gritty eyes but I've just rested a lot and its been fine. Just can't wait to get the bandage lenses taken out on Wednesday!

Associate
After doing lots of reading I was hoping they would offer me LASEK and they did. I figured I'd rather have a bit of pain now and have less chance of problems in the future. Plus I really didn't like the thought of having a flap..

After the first afternoon I haven't really had any pain and even then it wasn't too bad, nothing the painkillers didn't fix. I get the odd sensation of gritty eyes but I've just rested a lot and its been fine. Just can't wait to get the bandage lenses taken out on Wednesday!

Awesome mate, glad all is going well.

Waiting for April the 18th to come is going to come slowly knowing that I will walk in with glasses and not need them on the way out, cant wait!

Soldato
Awesome mate, glad all is going well.

Waiting for April the 18th to come is going to come slowly knowing that I will walk in with glasses and not need them on the way out, cant wait!

Its so weird not needing them.. I've worn them for about 20 years of my life now and it just doesn't feel right not having them on. I keep trying to push them up and I tried to take them off earlier even though I didn't have them on!

The best feeling ever was waking up this morning, being able to look around my room and see things without my glasses on! :D

Soldato
Booked my surgery today for May 11th. £2095 for LASIK intralase wavefront at Optimax. Went to Optical Express for a consultation as well but I wasn't particularly impressed with how pushy they were. Optimax just left me to make my own mind up.

Anyone else had LASIK intralase wavefront with similar vision to me? (-2.75 in both eyes).

Associate
I have had my operation now, had it done on the 11th April by Mr Daya at the Centre of Sight in East Grinstead.

I have gone from -8.25 in my right and -5 in my left and an astigmatism to 20/20 vision in only one day from the surgery. My vision is still a little hazy at times, but to be expected as my eyes is a little swollen, fluid needs to go, cones in the back of my eyes need to re align. and generally just heal.

Anyone else had LASIK intralase wavefront with similar vision to me? (-2.75 in both eyes).

From my post above yours would be a breeze for them. I couldnt go with a run of the mill company due to my previous prescription, as well as them declining me saying they didn't have the technology to do my eyes lol

Good luck, one of the best investments of your life.

Associate
I had my laser eye treatment carried out yesterday with Optical Express.

My prescription was -2.75 in each eye,total cost was £1590 but I was given a £300 off voucher bringing it down to £1290. In comparison to some it was pretty cheap.

I had Lasik (where they create a flap) surgery booked at 10:45, it was around 12:00 before I had the surgery which didn't take too long at all, it felt strange though, especially when he was replacing the flap.

When I got out, my eyes were fine, no swelling, no watering, just nothing....

I then closed my eyes on the way home in the car, when I arrived home and opened my eyes I found it very difficult to keep them open, and they wouldn't stop watering.

I took a couple Nurofen and went to bed with my goggles on, at this point it felt as though I had onion rubbed in my eyes, but I slept for a few hours and woken up pretty good. My vision seemned quite blury at this point, up close was not too good, but distance viewing put a smile on my face :)

So I'm on day two now and I woke up with very good vision, although putting the drops in make it worse (the one that looks like milk), I'm back at work tomorrow, so will wear some safety goggles for times that require them.

Hopefully by tomorrow my slight haze/bluryness has totally gone.
Really happy.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, when I asked why they advertise £395 per eye they said that was for someone with a very low prescription. She said the laser time is very expensive... yeah right!

I reackon they easy do 100K a week on surgery at the branch I went to.

Back
Top Bottom