Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Associate
Yes, when I asked why they advertise £395 per eye they said that was for someone with a very low prescription. She said the laser time is very expensive... yeah right!

I reackon they easy do 100K a week on surgery at the branch I went to.

Yeah that was on Watchdog some time ago. They reel you in with the £395 price, but it never costs that. The prescription for that cost is probably so low the person wouldn't even need eye surgery!

Associate
Hopefully by tomorrow my slight haze/bluryness has totally gone.
Really happy.

It will take a few weeks for it to all clear up. Your eye is swollen, there is liquid under the flap, cones in the back of the eye need to re align and the brain need to adapt to your new vision. All this can take quite a few weeks. I am on week 2 and I still get haziness now and again, getting slightly better each day.

So does price seem to be dictated by prescription somewhat?

Yes as well as the surgeon you use, I was -8 and -6, mine was around £2.5k an eye.

I have had my second check up last Thursday, and since the operation I have, walked into a door, had two pillow corners in my eye and a puppy tail to my eye. All seems to be perfectly fine though.

Since I had mine done in East Grinstead, my checkup was done at the Nufield in Plymouth. All was good and the surgeon there said it was one of the best jobs he has seen done to eye of a standard patient, very happy so far. Glad I paid the extra for Mr Daya at the Centre for Sight!

Last edited:
Associate
are these laser surgeries permanent or you have to do it every X years or so?

reading this thread made me want to save up for a laser after 10years of glasses :D

Its permanent, until you get old age eyes as any other person. Even then you can get it re done for a touch up :)

Last edited:
Associate
Had my post op check up today, to look at me you wouldn't even know I'd had it done, I mean no swelliing or redness at all.

Sinse my sleep after the op, I feel totally fine.

Work tomorrow, so sat in front of a screen most of the day, oh the joy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really want this done but I'm so scared of the thought of it. Lasers in my eyes :/

I've got a prescription of -2.25

Just man up and get it done! I was the same as you and it took me ages to finally get the balls to do it.. Now I wish I'd had it done sooner. It makes such a difference not having to rely on glasses. I went swimming last week for the first time since my op, I've not been able to see in a swimming pool for the last 15+ years of my life and it was awesome being able to look about and see who was in there! :D

My eyes are still fluctuating slightly and my vision is worse in the evenings when I'm tired, but I'm still able to sit here and read this without glasses now and it has only been a few weeks since I've had it done so it should get better with time!

Associate
Just man up and get it done! I was the same as you and it took me ages to finally get the balls to do it.. Now I wish I'd had it done sooner. It makes such a difference not having to rely on glasses. I went swimming last week for the first time since my op, I've not been able to see in a swimming pool for the last 15+ years of my life and it was awesome being able to look about and see who was in there! :D

My eyes are still fluctuating slightly and my vision is worse in the evenings when I'm tired, but I'm still able to sit here and read this without glasses now and it has only been a few weeks since I've had it done so it should get better with time!

It does get better with time, I used to get eye strain for the first 6-7 months after looking at a monitor for more than 10 mins, I found leaving the light on even during the day helped. I still have it on but it's more of a habbit thing now.

I had dry eye too for about 9 months which fluctuated in severity day by day.

Halo's/Starburst are still the same as day 1, but I only ever notice them now when I think about them, or if there is no street lamps on the roads.

It's been ~2 years 2 months since I had it.

Soldato
My girlfriend had this done around 6 weeks ago. Had it done about 2pm, by 9am the next morning she could see perfectly fine with only a slightly bit of soreness and a red mark on her eyes where they had been cut. 6 weeks on she still suffers with dry eyes and has to use eye drops but they reckon that this is a common side affect some people can suffer and this should go away with time as only a small number of people have this side affect permanently.

I believe she had lasek with customVue Wavefront due to a stigmatism or some such... There was some technical reason for it but its your eyes and better safe than sorry where they are concerned as you only get 1 pair...... All in all cost her around £2300 for both eyes. Expensive to have it done but the quality of life afterwards is miles better.... well worth the money. She said its one of the best things she has ever done.

Soldato
I went for my 2 month check up this morning and I can now easily read the bottom line of the chart unaided with both eyes! :D

Massive change from being -8 in both eyes before I had it done!

Soldato
Surgery went ok. Didn't like it if i'm being honest, when I sat in the chair it hit me that this was my only pair of eyes and if it went wrong my life would be practically ruined. Got through it though, the pain and sensitivity for the next 12 hours wasn't nice either but I woke up the next morning with almost perfect vision. This has since improved further over the last two days and this morning they confirmed 20/20 vision in both eyes.

My left eye had some inflamation the following day but they confirmed this had cleared this morning. Both eyes are currently slightly bloodshot but I'm told this will go in a couple of weeks.

Overall, i'm chuffed. Really impressed with the service at Optimax Nottingham.

Soldato
Good work! What type of surgery did you have done? I had 20/20 at my check up a couple days after. Then my vision dipped quite badly at the one week stage and I could barely read the third line from the bottom on the chart, but they did say this was normal. Since then it just got better day by day and I'm now better than 20/20 at the two month stage!

Associate
Went for an initial consultation at Optimax Birmingham last year. They've just emailed me an offer for LASIK Intralase wavefront for £1895 for both eyes.

Pretty tempted to be honest. Has anyone on here had the surgery there?

Associate
My treatment didn't go perfectly.
I had LASEK done about 6 years ago.
Hurt like a bitch for a day or so. and I had blurred vision for about 4 days and my vision didn't settle for almost a month. And even then it was still improving.

My right eye went from -3.75 to 0, but my left eye went from -3.5 to -0.75.
So not perfect vision.
Plus since I've had floaters. which is a bit of an annoyance. When I went back they said it had nothing to do with the treatment. So I don't know if its a coincidence or not.

But I don't regret having it done. Good outweighs the bad by a long shot. But I do regret going to the Optimax centre in Finchley, and I regret not going for the Wavefront technology.
Should have paid that bit extra.

Haven't had a checkup for 5 years now so I don't know what stage I am at now, but I haven't noticed it getting any worse.

Soldato
Its 10 mths now since I had wavefront done by Optical Express, there's still not a day that goes by when I don't appreciate it.

Been doing lots of float fishing this year since it got warmer, its so much more pleasant as my eyesight is way better than it was wearing glasses.

Associate
Can you not have a touch up to fix this now though?

I'm quite happy with how it is at the moment.

I had dry eyes for a few months after too which was quite annoying, I'd rather stick with slight halo/starburst than to suffer with that again!

If it was so bad that I couldn't drive or do anything at night, then I'd probably have looked into it.

Back
Top Bottom