Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Seriously considering this now: Filled my cash ISA for the year so anything I save between now and April 2013 is going into my 'laser eye surgery fund'.

I've been recommended the London Vision Clinic by a friend of my girlfriend who says their service is second to none.

£4,600 for both eyes, including pre surgery tests and aftercare, seems more expensive than some places but also seems they provide a high-quality service.

Anyone else had it done with them?

I was also considering them when I was thinking about getting it done since they are supposed to be really good. I'm pretty sure someone in this thread recommended them, and also focusclinics

Thanks for the speedy responses guys.

It was Professor Dan Reinstein that treated my girlfriend's friend — sounds good to me.

Just need to save the pennies now. :)

Had my consultation today and have been told that Lasek is the best option for me due to my dry eyes. He told me I need to stop wearing contacts regardless whether I get laser done or not.

So have booked it and have been told a week off work as it takes more time to settle and heal. From reading the longer healing process did put me off but I did prefer the idea of Lasek as it leaves your eye in a much more healthy state afterwards.

Absolute rubbish. Go and get another consultation elsewhere because you've been misinformed.

That isn't what the doctor informed me that is from my own reading. I think healthy state is probably the wrong term to use here. With Lasik the flap doesn't ever 100% fully heal and isn't ever as strong as before surgery hence why for people in the military and people in contact sports Lasek is recommended.

Still would really love to get this done, the only thing holding me back is the fact that I spent a lot of time staring at my computer screen or someone else's computer screen and I'm worried that I'll have dry eyes after the operation to the extent where I'll have wished I didn't have the surgery done.

I have never gotten on with contact lenses and found a pair that I could not feel on my eye balls and I've always felt that my eyes are dry when wearing them, this has led me to believe that laser eye surgery, much as I'd love to have it done, would also give me the discomfort of dry eyes.

Lasek is suppose to be more suitable for dry eyes so that might be an idea. Have you had any consultations yet?

I'm the same with contacts I hate them, the acuvue trueye seems to be better but even then after 8 hours my eyes feel so tired and heavy. So sick of wearing them and I'm always needing to rub my eyes and sometimes the bloody contact comes out doing that!

When he saw my eyes today he was a bit concerned at first and took me to another machine to have another scan to see what was wrong. Said it was due to dry eyes and then wearing contacts on top so he put these Collagen plugs into my eyelid drains and gave me some steroid eye drops, I think to help my eye heal but I'm not actually sure!

Looking into this now. Two people at my workplace just had it and they're fine by the looks and sound of it. I'll have to get their recommendation as from previous discussions (glasses/contact wears chit chat), their eyes were pretty bad!

I have looked into Optical express and looking for a free consult. Pretty nervous about committing to something I value so much. I already have some issues with contacts with irritation etc so I think I'm experienced enough with the discomfort!

Mate I wouldn't even bother with someone like Optical Express, only three choices for me Moorfields and go to Mr Stevens or Professor Gartry or London Vision Clinic and Professor Dan Reinstein. Too much to lose if something goes wrong so when it comes to your eyes I wouldn't settle for anyone else even if it costs you a few thousands more.

I'm actually thinking about getting this done sometime in the future despite only being slightly short-sighted. I don't mind wearing glasses but I find it a pain to carry them around if they're needed. Because of that I don't ever bring them out with me unless I'm going to the Cinema or to a football match and I get annoyed if there's something I want to see but it's just a blur because I don't have my glasses. I've thought about contacts but I'm put off by them because so many people say they're uncomfortable and dry your eyes out.

Mate I wouldn't even bother with someone like Optical Express, only three choices for me Moorfields and go to Mr Stevens or Professor Gartry or London Vision Clinic and Professor Dan Reinstein. Too much to lose if something goes wrong so when it comes to your eyes I wouldn't settle for anyone else even if it costs you a few thousands more.

I understand the cost is nothing compared to how much we value our sight, it just boils down to the availability of said funds because not everyone has 4 grand on tap. I don't doubt those are top class recommendations, I just think its going to be more of a balance of sorts rather than balls to the wall on top dollar treatment.

Fair point and but I would say instead of going elsewhere you should consider saving up just to go for the better treatment, I don't know if those guys offer a finance package for those who want to get it done quicker but pay off in instalments.

Everyone has a different view on it I suppose, my cousin had his done in India for like £500, said it is all the same blah blah blah rip off Britain etc but I could never take a risk like that on my eyes. The cheeky git got his mum to do hers first though before going out to get his done! His eyesight was like -8 as well but it has worked thus far for him. I don't believe in having the best equipment but the best surgeon and I know Julian Stevens has had a lot of US Military personnel flying over here to get it done from him so it makes you feel assured the guy knows what he is doing.

I had mine done at Uxbridge Optical express on wednsday and i am impressed!

had intralase with Wavefront LASEK by manek patel

its early days yet but healing well and everything is just a lot more clear!

Well bit the bullet and had mine done on friday, eyes are a bit sore and vision ain't quite right but getting better with everyday. I think once I have my contacts taken out I'll see a much bigger difference.

I had Lasek, when my eyes are doing better I'll do a little write up saying how it all went for those interested.

just out of interest, does anyone know of anyone anyone whos surgery went wrong and has worse vision than before? the reason I ask is that it seems so many people suggest (here and other forums/sites) that there is a huge risk going for the cheaper option. all the people i know personally who have had eye surgery regardless of price - Optical Express, Ultralase, London Vison clinic all say their procedures and aftercare were great.

just out of interest, does anyone know of anyone anyone whos surgery went wrong and has worse vision than before? the reason I ask is that it seems so many people suggest (here and other forums/sites) that there is a huge risk going for the cheaper option. all the people i know personally who have had eye surgery regardless of price - Optical Express, Ultralase, London Vison clinic all say their procedures and aftercare were great.

I had mine done at Optical Express, and after 9 months my left eye had developed cornial ecstacia - basically the front of my eye is no longer round, its a more oval shape giving me severely distorted vision in that eye. Infact my left eye is completely useless for anything, at all. Cannot read with it, or get it to focus at all, even with glasses.

Optical Express have been very good about it, they had me in to meet their head of surgery who explained the problem and what they are going to do to try and fix it. I've already had two further surgerys, with another appointment in just over a weeks time for a further look at how things are healing and what they can do next.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone who's had a bad experience with it. Not everyone will end up with 20:20 though.

Take your time to read through all the information available on what the more expensive ops can offer.

I had my op done with Ultralase. I couldn't go for their most expensive procedure due to having a thin cornea but went for the next one down and came out with better than 20:20.

I had mine done almost 10 years ago now and have no deterioration or adverse effects

I told the wife to be then it was the best money id ever spend but she was never keen on it herself.

Before we got married 3 years ago she decide to go for it, wavefront, and never had any problems. Her eyes were much worse than mine and it made such a difference to her

Also know another 4 people who have had it over the past few years and none have any issues that they speak of

Well mine is taking me a lot longer to recover than I thought it would but reading about that is one of the downsides of LASEK over LASIK. I still don't feel comfortable to drive as in the mornings my vision is a lot clearer but gets worse during the day. When I put drops in momentarily everything goes crystal clear before going back. It all depends from person to person, the surgeon did say most people are ok to drive after a week or so but didn't guarantee that would happen for everyone. Been just over 3 weeks for me.

As for operations going wrong I've heard of people going to India and getting them done and I know 2 or 3 people here who have had them done and all say it was the best thing they've ever done. You can never guarantee these things but the cheer amount of operations they do the ones that go wrong must be few and far between.

Personally would still say Moorfields or London Vision Clinic, yes the cheaper places might do the same thing but when it comes to my eyes I know I'd rather be in the hands of the best surgeons.

Back
Top Bottom