Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Had mine done about 8 years ago. It was expensive then, cost me £2500 for both eyes but it was at the best place in the country at the time, ultralase, London.
Best £2500 I ever spent, 20:20 in one eye and better than 20:20 in the other even now.

Procedure wasn't nice though, might have changed now but I could smell my eyes burning :mad:

Yep, even when i had mine done last year it smelt, though tbh that was the worst part of the whole procedure. :)

Well after much deliberation I've just booked my consultation for next Saturday with Optimax.

Will be looking forward to not having to wear glasses after almost 20 years, although reading the side effects about night vision has given me a little concern as I work nights, but if it's a case of having those for a short time after I'm sure I can live with it.

Who's had these side effects, what were they like and how long did they last?

Thanks & Regards

Well after much deliberation I've just booked my consultation for next Saturday with Optimax.

Will be looking forward to not having to wear glasses after almost 20 years, although reading the side effects about night vision has given me a little concern as I work nights, but if it's a case of having those for a short time after I'm sure I can live with it.

Who's had these side effects, what were they like and how long did they last?

Thanks & Regards

I had mine done a few months ago and my night vision is slowly but surely getting better. Startbursts are virtually gone but I still get halos around light objects at night. But remember, it can take quite a long time to fully recover, its not just physical damage to repair, your brain also needs to readjust since your eyes are no longer being forced to focus by glasses and needs to learn to compensate.

Going to get this done at Accuvision in Brum.

Just can't stop thinking about this though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdP8MsZxw90&sns=em

Ha, a few days before I had mine I saw Final Destination where the laser eye surgery went wrong, it was interesting to say the least lol

Last edited:
The only thing holding me back from this is that I spend a lot of time each day in front of a computer screen. I suffer from dry eyes with contact lenses (can only wear them when outside or out on the lash .... the alcohol numbs the feeling of them being in my eyes) ...

I can't watch TV in doors, look at my PC screen etc. with them in though, they get really uncomfortable, I can feel that they are on my eyes and my eyes become dry etc.

I have always feared that the common "dry eye" side effect of laser eye surgery would amount to the feeling I get when wearing contacts.

Have I got this wrong?

The only thing holding me back from this is that I spend a lot of time each day in front of a computer screen. I suffer from dry eyes with contact lenses (can only wear them when outside or out on the lash .... the alcohol numbs the feeling of them being in my eyes) ...

I can't watch TV in doors, look at my PC screen etc. with them in though, they get really uncomfortable, I can feel that they are on my eyes and my eyes become dry etc.

I have always feared that the common "dry eye" side effect of laser eye surgery would amount to the feeling I get when wearing contacts.

Have I got this wrong?

I got that with contacts. Exactly the same as you. Ence why I went for laser surgery :) All fixed now.

I got that with contacts. Exactly the same as you. Ence why I went for laser surgery :) All fixed now.

Ah, nice to know I'm not alone then! How are your eyes now ? My eyes are ok with glasses (which as you can imagine I wear all the time, infact for the past year if I've gone out drinking when I'd always wear my contact lenses before, I've just worn my glasses instead. Can't be bothered with the hassle of contact lenses and squinting when they get dry etc.

Got my eyes done 3 weeks ago....

apart from Halos around light sources I have to say I am blown away by the results! :D
Such a sense of freedom and gratitude for not having to wear glasses or contacts,seeing the world as it is.

Anyone having doubts I can only say go for it!:)

got mine done at moorfields about 10 years ago...still completely happy with the choice.

That is probably where I'd want to go, don't mind paying the extra when it comes to my eyes!

completely depends on what level of surgery you go for, LASIK Wavefront for me and no halo'ing although i do get dry eyes every now and then.

Cool, I'll look into all the different types again.

My optician told me I wouldn't be able to get laser eye surgery due to my dry eyes, then again not in his interest for me to get it done!

Just had my consultation at optical express. Due to the size of my pupils I can only have LASIK wavefront. Cost is £2400 for standard n £3000 for intralase. They've said I can have £500 off either treatment if I have the surgery in the next 14 days but has anyone had it cheaper from them or anywhere else? I noticed optimal had a half price deal on, anyone had surgery with them?

I had a consult at OE about 8 years ago. They said I could only have one or the other (Lasik or Lasek) ... I had a second consult with Optimax last year. They said I could have whichever I liked.

So I'd take that with a pinch of salt from Optical Express if I were you!

Also, I asked about dry eyes in my second consult and she said that they appear fine and not dry.

My eyes are fine when wearing glasses, they don't feel dry or irritate. It's just when I wear contact lenses I can feel the contact lens in my eye, I guess that that's not exactly dry eye but I think they tend to dry your eyes out more than not wearing them because less air and moisture can get to your eyes etc.

Back
Top Bottom