Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
The scarring from lasek is much less however. It also reduces the risk of dry eye. It's swings and roundabouts between either procedure though.

I would advise against having it done if you are driving quite often in the dark during the current short hours of daylight. I had halos during my recovery and driving at night was very annoying!

Associate
I don't recommend it until medical technology allows non-invasive procedures. If something goes wrong 10, 20 years after theres no way back.
There are lot's of variables such as theoretical increases in floaters due to disrupting the eye matrix fluid and halos. I would rather wait until those variables are narrowed down and understood first.

Associate
I don't recommend it until medical technology allows non-invasive procedures. If something goes wrong 10, 20 years after theres no way back.
There are lot's of variables such as theoretical increases in floaters due to disrupting the eye matrix fluid and halos. I would rather wait until those variables are narrowed down and understood first.

Haven't these procedures been done since the 90s though? They used scalpel things back then to make the flaps. Surely 20 or so years is enough time to see if there are negative effects later in life?

Just checked and the 1st laser eye surgery was in 1987.

Soldato
Its been 18 months since my laser eye surgery, my dominant right eye has gone from strength to strength and my vision is still excellent - however my left eye has completely gone to pieces on me. Going to pop to the opticians to get a check up as the vision has detoriated far beyond what it used to be.

Soldato
An update from my last post, I've since had my vision rechecked and I'm suffering from a complication of the original LASIK called Iatrogenic keratoconus. The vision in my left eye is so bad that it cannot be corrected by any kind of perscription, so I'm booked in for further surgery.

Optical Express have been pretty good about it, I'm booked in to see a guy called Jan Venter (who is actually listed on their website as their top practictioner) in mid-March for a proceedure called Corneal Cross-Linking. There is a chance this will fix my vision, at the very least it will stop it getting any worse and than I can have a look at getting it corrected a year down the line once healing has taken place.

Its not been the best news I've ever had, and its not something I expected to happen however I'm hopeful that it can be fixed soon - as the headaches I get from basically having only one good eye are really starting to bother me.

Soldato
Err you do know the flap heals almost instantly?
It NEVER heals. It's held in place by suction and it only heals around the edges completely. Google it. It's why anyone who's in the army or take part in sports like boxing or rugby are told to get LASEK. In your consultation they will ask you what sports do you take part in for that reason.

LAZEK involves removing the entire cornea right, not just making a flap? So how is that better?
No. It takes off the thin layer of skin covering the cornea. The skin is probably only 50 microns deep and its removed to reveal the cornea so they can do the laser. This skin grows back and your eye goes back to basically the same state it was in before you had the surgery in 12 weeks. I had my op a little over 2 weeks ago my day vision is perfect now but my night vision isn't the best but still improving.

Soldato
I've been putting this off for pretty much two years now and have decided to bite the bullet and get a consultation done. I have the cash for it I'm just being a massive wimp about it..

So who have most people gone with for their treatments? Any bad experiences etc? I plan on doing some research and getting a consultation booked in the next couple weeks!

Last edited:
Soldato
So who have most people gone with for their treatments? Any bad experiences etc? I plan on doing some research and getting a consultation booked in the next couple weeks!

dad went with optical express mainly for long vision, few months on still going well, only time he has issues is reading at night when its started to get dark, but he's sorted that by getting a reading light.

even with the night reading problem its still way better than he was told to expect, as he was told he might need reading glasses, and he's well happy with how its gone.

Back
Top Bottom