Laws against low flying aircraft?

Soldato
That looks to be a spitfire performing at an airshow, why were you not there!!!

Civilian aircraft have to be 2000ft away from anyone/thing in heavily populated areas, and 500ft from anyone/thing in other areas. and need to stick to 250kts below 18,000ft (I think?).

Military jets can go down to 250ft at 500kts. I enjoy watching them do this in the Lakes. The Jags were the best as they are REALLY loud. Instructors doing training will regularly choose houses as mock targets, my uncle used to choose our house when flying Hawks up from Valley with students, sometimes he would pick phone boxes too.

Soldato
OP

Civilian aircraft have to be 2000ft away from anyone/thing in heavily populated areas, and 500ft from anyone/thing in other areas. and need to stick to 250kts below 18,000ft (I think?).

Military jets can go down to 250ft at 500kts. I enjoy watching them do this in the Lakes. The Jags were the best as they are REALLY loud. Instructors doing training will regularly choose houses as mock targets, my uncle used to choose our house when flying Hawks up from Valley with students, sometimes he would pick phone boxes too.

So despite it looking very nice and him doing some fancy moves he shouldnt have been doing it above a residental area?

JPL

JPL

Associate
Why can't I have low flying spitfires over my house? :(

The late Charlie Church (real estate magnate and owner of a magnificent pristine Spit) used to fly his over and near to where I have a house,that is in Farnham,West Surrey.He would appear that Charles had a lot of spare time-that Spitfire was always up.

He would get quite exhuberant at times - It was always a real pleasure to while away the hours watching and listening to the big merlin roar over the town and perform.Sadly old Charlie got too carried away on one occasion,and not only lost his life,but the Spit too.

J-P

Associate
All those saying it's awesome, why are you complaining should think of the danger. Air shows are one thing those are planed and people are informed and so people can take precautions. Unexpected low flying can be very dangerous to horse riders and other people who handle animals.

Indeed....the aircraft may scare a donkey and it may fall into a river;)

Soldato
Its great until you realise that unscheduled plane dive-bombing below legal levels just put someone's child in hospital.

Of course that's only if it really is flying low and unscheduled. There is nothing wrong with scheduled planes flying low. As long as the people who need to know are informed.

Why would a child be put into hospital by low flying aircraft.

Soldato

It's to 10,000ft but larger aircraft can request up to 280kts on take off.

Associate
So despite it looking very nice and him doing some fancy moves he shouldnt have been doing it above a residental area?

That looks like PM631 to me which is owned by the RAF as part of the battle of Britain memorial flight so id imagine its still registered as a military aircraft.

Its also hard to get a true prospective to a plane in flight, it may look as though its just over some ones house but in reality its probably a few 1000 meters away over a field.

Associate
If it's the Hangar 11 one, feel free to complain. Had the owner here a few weeks ago with his Huricane....and he was a complete nob.

Well if he owns or flies those wonderful aircraft then he has my permission to be a nob:D...and its Hurricane;)

Man of Honour

• 500ft from any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.
  • 1000ft above the highest fixed obstacle within 600m of the aircraft over populated areas such as towns.
  • Must be able to glide clear of congested areas in the event of engine failure.
  • Must be able to land safely without risk to any person, place or thing on the surface in the event of engine failure.
  • Speed restriction of 250Kts below FL100 but in this case the restriction may be lifted if the aircraft involved is taking part in a flying display approved by the CAA.

Soldato
ChrisJSY said "Why would a child be put into hospital by low flying aircraft. "
A child might be in a horse riding lesson, a low flying aircraft scares the horse and the child ends up in hospital. A teenager is bringing their horse up from a field to a yard, then the planes fly low scares the horse which bolts down the road. If there was an air show precautions' would be taken.

Perhaps the teenager is working at a farm or kennels when the low flying aircraft sends the dogs or other animals into a frenzy panic.

It's not just young people, adults working at farms, kennels, vets and with other livestock need to know about low flying aircraft beforehand. This isn't funny a lot of people and livestock have been killed by low flying aircraft.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Low flying aircraft are a danger but mainly in the countryside. The RAF did low flying near my girlfriends parents house and it spooks the horses. Not fun when you're on the back, believe me. After a nice phone call the guys throttle down and fly past at higher altitude.

Near my parents someone used to do loops, stalls and other stunts. It can look like they're over populated areas but are in fact miles away over a field or two. Great to watch and

Soldato
A child might be in a horse riding lesson, a low flying aircraft scares the horse and the child ends up in hospital. A teenager is bringing their horse up from a field to a yard, then the planes fly low scares the horse which bolts down the road. If there was an air show precautions' would be taken.

Perhaps the teenager is working at a farm or kennels when the low flying aircraft sends the dogs or other animals into a frenzy panic.

It's not just young people, adults working at farms, kennels, vets and with other livestock need to know about low flying aircraft beforehand. This isn't funny a lot of people and livestock have been killed by low flying aircraft.

So from what you have said, nobody has *actually* been hurt, it's all maybe's and perhaps.

Man of Honour

Whats the difference between a plane and a car beeping it's horn?

Except cars can get closer?

Associate

So you want to be informed about every low flying aircraft beforehand, how? What about police helicopters? Also what about vehicles on the ground making loud sudden noises like some motorbikes and boy racers in their Corsas (I presume they don't all drive Corsas though)?

Soldato
Wossi said "So from what you have said, nobody has *actually* been hurt, it's all maybe's and perhaps."
I was using examples of why low flying is not safe. I said might and perhaps as I don't know the farms and other effected people in that area or if the plane was even that low. But I do know what happened in many other areas. For all we know a number of people did get hurt and livestock killed.

Even if know one got hurt this time it doesn't matter. It's still wrong and unsafe to fly low without permission. Then again it might not have been even flying low or without permission.

Flibster Whats the difference between a plane and a car beeping it's horn?"
A driver should be smart enough not to beep a horn at a horse. Only idiots who don't care about hurting other people do that.

You're not going get a car beeping a horn in a lesson or in the middle of a field on a farm. You only take trained animals out on road that know what a car is. Even trained animal that know what a car don't know what a plane is. A low flying plane is much louder than a car.

It's mainly the shock. It's one thing for a livestock to see a car come down a road. It's another to be in the middle of a field or on a farm with a plane coming out of nowhere flying low.

Back
Top Bottom