LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Soldato
There doesn't appear to be any, and I imagine they'd be expensive anyway. Not worth it really when you add the 25W of the bulb to the few kW the oven is using anyway.

Permabanned
There doesn't appear to be any
That's because (as NG alluded to), the electronics in an LED bulb would fail at 300degC
(probably at 80degC come to that).

Why is lighting in fridges so pants? One garlic bulb in the wrong place and the whole fridge is dark.
Dyson, fix this please.

Soldato
Anyone tried SimplyLED's B22's? What's the consensus? Better than the ones at Toolstation?

I'd like to try Cool white for study, bathroom and kitchen.

Perhaps this?

Soldato
UPDATE: Got my fridge lights LOL. Almost done with replacing every bulb to day light white. SAD I KNOW :(

img1681wf.jpg

Soldato
Got myself some engineering samples from work! Thought I'd have to buy 15 @ £8~ a pop for dimmable but the marketing guys felt kind. They're lovely and bright.

6NmMSaWl.jpg

Do you work for Havells? These are some of the best LED GU10s that you can get right now (and they've not long released a 450lm version, which is better still).

For those of you looking for more budget-friendly LED GU10s, look at the Megaman range. They're probably the best at the lower price point.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
No, one mounted above the blue bin, the other at the far end of the photo near the black soil pipe. It is seriously bright down there, just like daylight.

The only thing I can't comment on is the throw of the light as they are only shining straight on to the floor. I don't know the shape of your garden but would suspect 2 lights would be better than one brighter.

grabbed 2 x 10W for the side of the house and 2 x 30W for the back garden!

How hard were they to install? Not sure if it's something I could manage or better off getting an electrician....

Soldato
grabbed 2 x 10W for the side of the house and 2 x 30W for the back garden!

How hard were they to install? Not sure if it's something I could manage or better off getting an electrician....

I had an electrician in doing some work so got him to put them up, he used an additional box to wire them in.

Looks straight forward enough though.

Might be worth slapping some grease on the screws and bolts to stop them rusting like mine have.

20130601_080446.jpg

Soldato
Just ordered these in Warm White and Cool White. I'll try get some pictures up when they arrive.

I have a few more to replace (inc. Kitchen strip lights somehow) so I'll base my opinion of colour temps and brightness on these.

Soldato
Just ordered these in Warm White and Cool White. I'll try get some pictures up when they arrive.

I have a few more to replace (inc. Kitchen strip lights somehow) so I'll base my opinion of colour temps and brightness on these.

Those look interesting! Will be interested by the results!

Although it does sound if you plan on dimming them, you'd need to get a new dimmer switch!?

Soldato
I bought some of the Amazon recommended ones on this thread a while ago and the cool white ones gave myself and my wife what I can only describe as 'motion sickness'.

Has anyone had this with LED's? I'd love to change all my bulbs over to warm white but we still experience the same 'motion sickness' feeling, although less than we did with the cool white.

Only thing I can put it down to is the refresh rate or whatever it's called for light bulbs.

Soldato

I had some of these in my hands and i was about to take them to the checkout, but i chickened out. (i'm in the USA)

I run all my incandescent's dimmed, so i'm not sure if there's any cost savings to be had. For me its Incandescent's dimmed vs Cree LEDS dimmed. My understanding is dimming LEDS doesn't save on the 10w. Whereas dimming a 40w incandescent, is a huge saving vs having it on full blast. Though there seems to be some confusion on this. Apparently the dimmer uses up some electricity also.

Would be great to find out the proper answer to this.

Caporegime
Hi all

Has anyone got a recommendation for an LED lighting setup inside a small walk-in wardrobe? I'm thinking flush mount a couple in the ceiling, pointing downwards. Maybe one or two lower down in the sides. But I'd like as uniform a light inside the wardrobe as possible, so we can see the clothes not just the top of them.

Am I better off with an LED strip running along the inside top edge of the wardrobe?

Last edited:
Permabanned
My understanding is dimming LEDS doesn't save on the 10w. Whereas dimming a 40w incandescent, is a huge saving vs having it on full blast. Though there seems to be some confusion on this. Apparently the dimmer uses up some electricity also.

Would be great to find out the proper answer to this.
The driver circuit for a LED is basically the same thing as the box powering your PC, it's a switched mode PS. LEDs require a constant current (Cree would be say 2.8A) so there is a small modification to the power supply to allow this (basically the output current reading is fed back into the control circuit to regulate the output), so the voltage goes up and down but the current stays the same.

To control the output of a LED you just need to control the current going into it. The driver circuit probably operates at 90-85% efficiency so really it consumes very little, so any change of output will be proportional to the input. A tungsten dimmer would be much the same, although physically less complex (a triac, a capacitor and a resistor)

Ideally you would directly control the LED driver itself, but some products just regulate the voltage being applied to the driver circuit, which isn't quite so elegant.

A Tungsten light is dimmed by chopping the AC input into pulses, the voltage averages out and so the current through the filament changes.
They are probably only 5% efficient, so you could turn it right down and it will still be using more than a LED

40W tungsten 12 lm/W
XM-L cree 100lm/W

Energy isn't lost either way, it's either being used to light your home or heat your home, but you don't buy lightbulbs to keep you warm.

At the moment I don't like any of the products, cramming all the control gear into the same GU10 package as the LED is just asking for heat induced failure, which possibly accounts for their current reputation.
I prefer LED strip lights with a proper driver, but that's a format not acceptable at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an electrician in doing some work so got him to put them up, he used an additional box to wire them in.

Looks straight forward enough though.

Might be worth slapping some grease on the screws and bolts to stop them rusting like mine have.

20130601_080446.jpg

Yeah after looking at the wiring in my house I've got an electrician coming to sort it all. Old lights seem to be wired into the boiler!

Hopefully have them sorted by next week. Shame as I have a BBQ tomorrow :p

Back
Top Bottom