LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
For those of you looking for more budget-friendly LED GU10s, look at the Megaman range. They're probably the best at the lower price point.

Cheers, Havana.

Can you tell me what is a direct replacement for a standard 50w Halogen GU10? My kitchen lighting has 8 bulbs, but 3 have been replaced to LED by the previous owner so am looking for 5. Warm white methinks.

Looking at these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Megaman-GU10-Watt-PAR16-Light/dp/B00CQYP06M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also looking to trial one LED standard bayonet bulb to replace a 40w one. Any recommendations?

Soldato
So I went out and bought a couple of Cree's to test them out. A 60w and a 40w warm white 2700k http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150059-can-a-10-led-bulb-finally-convert-the-incandescent-masses

And so far so good !!! Actually a better way to describe these bulbs are that they're PERFECT !

I think I may be going back to the store and spending a pretty penny on changing all my bulbs. Each has a 10yr guarantee. I've got them in a dimmer and they dim perfectly and the light is a pleasant warm glow the same that a incandescent gives. The only snag is i have a boat load of bulbs in my home. This could end up being a few hundred buck investment. ugh. I may keep the incandescent in the rooms i only ever have dimmed. But places like the bathrooms, hallways, outside lightning etc, time to switch out to these little bad boys !

Soldato
So I went out and bought a couple of Cree's to test them out. A 60w and a 40w warm white 2700k http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150059-can-a-10-led-bulb-finally-convert-the-incandescent-masses

And so far so good !!! Actually a better way to describe these bulbs are that they're PERFECT !

I think I may be going back to the store and spending a pretty penny on changing all my bulbs. Each has a 10yr guarantee. I've got them in a dimmer and they dim perfectly and the light is a pleasant warm glow the same that a incandescent gives. The only snag is i have a boat load of bulbs in my home. This could end up being a few hundred buck investment. ugh. I may keep the incandescent in the rooms i only ever have dimmed. But places like the bathrooms, hallways, outside lightning etc, time to switch out to these little bad boys !

Have you got a model no. or link?

Soldato
I'm slightly changing my stance on the LED's after a couple of days ownership. I do still prefer the low glow of incandescent. The LED's don't dim as low, and the glow isn't as warm. It's still pretty good, and for my outside lights its nice to know that its only costing me pennies a month to run. But for indoor mood lighting, i think i'm going to stick with my incandescent on my not on often and dimmed lights (while we still can !!! ) lol

Soldato
I'm slightly changing my stance on the LED's after a couple of days ownership. I do still prefer the low glow of incandescent. The LED's don't dim as low, and the glow isn't as warm. It's still pretty good, and for my outside lights its nice to know that its only costing me pennies a month to run. But for indoor mood lighting, i think i'm going to stick with my incandescent on my not on often and dimmed lights (while we still can !!! ) lol

We're looking - on the advice of the bedroom designer - to put LED warm downlighters in our bedroom on a dimmer. But your comments have me slightly concerned. Of course if you're getting dressed nice and bright is great, but for moosying around, you want a calmer warmer light, so I'm worried by your comments there!

Soldato
We're looking - on the advice of the bedroom designer - to put LED warm downlighters in our bedroom on a dimmer. But your comments have me slightly concerned. Of course if you're getting dressed nice and bright is great, but for moosying around, you want a calmer warmer light, so I'm worried by your comments there!

Yeah my post #342, had me initially excited. I bought a couple to do a test, EXCEPT it was still daylight when i'd come to the conclusion that they're perfect. Sometimes i get a little too excited, and went straight out and bagged another 10 bulbs for around the home. But whereas an incandescent can dim from literally 1%, the LEDS start of around 20% and that 20% is not as warm as 20% of an incandescent. It's not bad, by any means, but given the cost savings when running dimmed incandescents over the course of a yr is only a few bucks, i switched a few back... In the area's for those mood moments. ;)

Soldato
Yeah my post #342, had me initially excited. I bought a couple to do a test, EXCEPT it was still daylight when i'd come to the conclusion that they're perfect. Sometimes i get a little too excited, and went straight out and bagged another 10 bulbs for around the home. But whereas an incandescent can dim from literally 1%, the LEDS start of around 20% and that 20% is not as warm as 20% of an incandescent. It's not bad, by any means, but given the cost savings when running dimmed incandescents over the course of a yr is only a few bucks, i switched a few back... In the area's for those mood moments. ;)

Hmmm... Maybe in the case of our bedroom, a pair of traditional bedside lights might suffice for the "warm" :)

I'm looking at Aurora 9W Sola or LEDLite 11W downlights. Not sure about the Aurora, but the LEDLite ones can dim down to 14% so they say. They also have lenses you can change to adjust between a 25-90% spread.

In the lounge I'd definitely need to be convinced to leave halogen though! That's where you really do want low warm lighting...

Soldato
In my house I have a lot of light fittings on the ceiling that take R50 SES 40w Reflector spot bulbs (incandescent). So the ones with a Small screw type fitting. They blow ridiculously often and obviously being 40w each, with them all on downstairs use 14x 40watts of power.
Last time I looked, GU10 fitment LED bulbs had MUCH cheaper and more plentiful options available in comparison. Is this still the case or are there good R50 SES ones?

EDIT: Or can you get R50 to GU10 adapters? A quick google suggests you can..kind of. Bit confusing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, Havana.

Can you tell me what is a direct replacement for a standard 50w Halogen GU10? My kitchen lighting has 8 bulbs, but 3 have been replaced to LED by the previous owner so am looking for 5. Warm white methinks.

Looking at these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Megaman-GU10-Watt-PAR16-Light/dp/B00CQYP06M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also looking to trial one LED standard bayonet bulb to replace a 40w one. Any recommendations?

Did you buy any of these? Looking at replacing the 4 in my kitchen if they are any good.

Soldato
Forgot to add pics of my lights now they've been installed :)

garden02.jpg

garden07.jpg
garden08.jpg

Not great pictures I'll admit but that'll do :p

I'll try and get some with the lights on later too :)

Caporegime
Guys, stupid question, probably! Is there an easy way to tell from below if existing spotlights are low voltage or mains 240V?

I'm looking to replace our kitchen GU10 bulbs with LED bulbs, but I'm not sure which will be compatible, because I cannot easily access the loft space to look for a transformer (it's all boarded over).

Soldato
Guys, stupid question, probably! Is there an easy way to tell from below if existing spotlights are low voltage or mains 240V?

I'm looking to replace our kitchen GU10 bulbs with LED bulbs, but I'm not sure which will be compatible, because I cannot easily access the loft space to look for a transformer (it's all boarded over).

Can't you just look at the spec of one of your existing GU10 bulbs? Take it out and look at the details/model? ie: See if its a regular GU10 240V 35/50W type?

Back
Top Bottom