LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Anyone else experience buzzing from their LED bulbs?

The six Aurora ones we have in our GU10 dimmer downlights buzz quite loudly at times.. and at other times are silent?

Dimmer changed to a V-Pro one. This is programmable so the range of the dim can be programmed. The dimmer now works beautifully with the LED bulbs, and all is silent.

Further more the dim action, and the on/off action, is smooth to help protect the bulbs. ie: They fade up and down smoothly instead of sharply. Very swish!

Hi all. I have read this thread but am without doubt an LED newcomer.

In my lounge I have 8 spotlights at 50W each. They operate on a dimmer switch. This means when the dimmer is on max the lounge lighting draws 400W!
I also have 6 of them in my bedroom that operate on a standard switch, also 60W each. The bedroom I would like to change first as there is thick loft insulation above it which would be very difficult to move, so I am thinking LED lights don't get hot which could solve the issue more easily.
I also have 3 in my study which are also under a lot of loft insulation.

This appears to be the shape/size that I need but **** me £19 each (dimmable for lounge) is so high I wonder if the 'break even point' even exists financially. This is getting into the realms of 'I bought an expensive diesel for better MPG' where it can often turn out more expensive!
I need GU10.
http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/philip...gu10+led+-+very+warm+white+(40%B0)/1805903364

EDIT: Just noticed I have 50Q GU10 all over my house!!!! 28 total!

Last edited:
Associate
Opentosugestions if i can get some pics uploaded tomorrow i will do for you bud, personally i think they are great, i ordered the cool white ones i have these in the kitchen and downstairs w/c

Associate
DSC02074_zps59f78248.jpg

DSC02070_zps761ae640.jpg

DSC02072_zps68ec7bdc.jpg

DSC02069_zpsd7c376d4.jpg

Not all of these are GU10'S the lights above the glass shelves are the others are the cool white in various different fitments..... the ones on the cupboards have been changed but i left a halogen in at the top to show you the difference in colour hope that helps mate :cool:

Soldato
After investing a substantial amount into LED's, (see post #342 down) I'm slowly switching back to incandescent. Especially in living spaces. Even though the LED's i invested in are rated at 2700k warm, i still do not find them as warm and comforting. Despite my initial excitement. I will continue to have them outside for outdoor lighting. But for indoor, i'm switching back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
After investing a substantial amount into LED's, (see post #342 down) I'm slowly switching back to incandescent. Especially in living spaces. Even though the LED's i invested in are rated at 2700k warm, i still do not find them as warm and comforting. Despite my initial excitement. I will continue to have them outside for outdoor lighting. But for indoor, i'm switching back.

Does that include the Cree offerings. Since you are in USA I heard them make a big deal of their lightbulb range with warm light and very cheap ? wish they sold them here

Soldato
I've got dimmable 6xAurora 6w LEDs in the bedroom now. They're only about £10-12 each and fit into regular GU10 fittings. Very impressed! (single bright LED in the middle, not the silly ones with numerous over the surface, so look OK too!)

Soldato
The builder installed Halogens for me instead of the LED lights here so they are swapping them wherever I have spot lights installed next week.

For normal overhead bayonet fix light bulbs, are LED's in a place where I could consider swapping them over too?

Soldato
There are globe available which are a LED version, never used one, so I can't comment onwhether they are any good.

Megaman 14W LED Globe - Bayonet - Dimmable

Osram LED SUPERSTAR/STAR GLOBE.

Soldato
Does that include the Cree offerings. Since you are in USA I heard them make a big deal of their lightbulb range with warm light and very cheap ? wish they sold them here

Yes the Cree's is what i went with. It's just not right. Nearly there, and at first glance you may even pass it off as perfect, but its not as warm. I hope we're not forced off incandescent by the tree huggers. I like to look at them now, as a premium lighting source for the home. Soothing and enjoyable.

Associate
Guys,

I am after some LED countertop and Up Lighters for the kitchen.

Looking at these http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-l...arm-white-best-price-on-the-internet-467.html

Now I have 2 sets of counters with a space in the middle, 1 2.5metres long, the other 5metres long. Obviously I would like these all powered from a single transformer and controller for colour?

Also do you know if I use this controller:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights/rgb-rf-controller-with-colour-dial.html

A - Can it control them all
B - Does it keep the colour which was last set from switch on/off

Thanks!

Soldato
Hallo! My first post in this thread but I've been looking over it every now and then for a while. I'm just popping in for a bit of advice on light bulbs.

I already have one LED Bulb, it's probably not the best you can buy, but I wanted one and it wasn't too expensive and I don't use my light much only gets turned on probably an average of 5 hours a day. The one I currently have is a "AURAGLOW 6w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Warm White, 40w Equivalent", I really like the colour of it so would like to stick as close to it as possible.

However now I'm looking for one for my lamp that stands beside my bed, I would like it to be not overwhelming but to be bright enough to see. However the bulb is a little strange. Pics:
BoxFiles130821131820.jpg

4d5BoxFiles130821131820.jpg

On the bulb it says 60W E5 or E6 can't quite make it out, but there seems to be no such thing, I'm thinking: http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e27-led-bulbs.html these will work, but after advice on if they will and which one to opt for, thanks :D

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e...andle-shape-bulb-320-lumes-40-watt-equiv.html
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e...andle-shape-bulb-320-lumes-40-watt-equiv.html

Back
Top Bottom