LED Bulb Thread

Those multi-LED blubs aren't very good IMHO. From what I understand they are older technology, plus they look rubbish.

My Aurora LEDs are very bight and have just a single LED in the middle.

I wasn't aware of newer designs with just a single LED - Would these not be more susceptable to dying as there is only the one LED? I am not sure how LED bulbs die as I have only just got them.

Either way I think my bulbs look brilliant. They are bright and give a far less yellow light than the halogens did.

Soldato
I wasn't aware of newer designs with just a single LED - Would these not be more susceptable to dying as there is only the one LED? I am not sure how LED bulbs die as I have only just got them.

Either way I think my bulbs look brilliant. They are bright and give a far less yellow light than the halogens did.

Don't know... but I'd imagine so as all your eggs are in one basket with a single LED :)

My aurora (dimmable) ones in my bedroom, look almost exactly like standard GU10 bulbs, with only a tiny bit of yellow towards the middle if you really look hard. They're along the lines of these - http://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/ligh...-white&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads#21385

Don't know... but I'd imagine so as all your eggs are in one basket with a single LED :)

My aurora (dimmable) ones in my bedroom, look almost exactly like standard GU10 bulbs, with only a tiny bit of yellow towards the middle if you really look hard. They're along the lines of these - http://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/ligh...-white&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads#21385

Thanks for sharing the link :).
I will keep an eye out on single LED bulbs as I bet they are even more energy efficient than the regular LED ones.

Provided LED bulbs last as long as they claim then they are a cracking way of making a heavy reduction in annual energy bills.

Associate
Here is a photo of my kitchen with the 4W cool white LEDs from the Ledhut.
The four bulbs in the foreground are LEDs and the ones towards the rear are halogens.

In my hallway upstairs I have got LEDs also but these are the warm white versions, which are somewhere between cool white and the halogens in colour.

After seeing how bright these 4W ones are, and looking back at the 2W ones in my study, I think that s 50W halogen would probably be equalled by a 3-3.5W LED.

Are you happy with them bud?

Soldato
Thanks for sharing the link :).
I will keep an eye out on single LED bulbs as I bet they are even more energy efficient than the regular LED ones.

Provided LED bulbs last as long as they claim then they are a cracking way of making a heavy reduction in annual energy bills.

When I get around to it I'll be taking three of the bulbs out of the bedroom and putting them in our regular GU10 fittings in the kitchen to try them out.

I've tried LEDs in there before (those LED bulb type with 50 odd LEDs on the face) but didn't like the colour of the light and also they were not as bright as the 50W standard GU10s.

I'm hoping these Aurora LEDs are as bright as standard GU10s!

Are you happy with them bud?

Yeah I am :).
Tbh the better lighting that they give is just a bonus, however they really are better than halogens. They give a bright light that doesn't blind you if you look at it.
The reason I am slowly ditching halogen bulbs is because it will save me a good wedge of cash every year after the 12 months the bulbs take to pay for themselves.

I intend to use up my used halogens elsewhere in the house for now. My bedroom lights are are not even used for 15 mins per day so they are not worth changing. The same can be said for my bathroom and downstairs toilet. I do need to get a dimmer switch and LEDs for my living room though before the dark nights draw in, but when 8 dimmable LED bulbs + LED dimmer switch will cost £70 I will leave it for another month.

All I need to do now is decide what to do with my 20 year old boiler :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
LED bulb n00b here!

Have 4 * 50W Halogens in the kitchen at the moment, winters coming (GoT!) So they'll be on a lot more, so worth changing them now.

I have no idea what I need? in OpenToSuggestions pic above our Halogens have that orange knd of feel which I'd like to keep, don't want hospital white vibe really, is that possible with LEDs? What colour temp do I need to look at?

I'm being bamboozled by beam angle and Lumens, presumably Lumens is just linked to Wattage? But what beam angle? Presume I'll have to find the specs of the bulbs in there now to get a like for like replacement, or maybe we do want a bigger angle? Maybe not?

Low ceiling in my kitchen, 2M.

Last edited:
Permabanned
LED bulb n00b here!

Have 4 * 50W Halogens in the kitchen at the moment, winters coming (GoT!) So they'll be on a lot more, so worth changing them now.

I have no idea what I need? in OpenToSuggestions pic above our Halogens have that orange knd of feel which I'd like to keep, don't want hospital white vibe really, is that possible with LEDs? What colour temp do I need to look at?

I'm being bamboozled by beam angle and Lumens, presumably Lumens is just linked to Wattage? But what beam angle? Presume I'll have to find the specs of the bulbs in there now to get a like for like replacement, or maybe we do want a bigger angle? Maybe not?

From what I have read
halogen bulbs
37 degree beam angle
colour temp (at full brightness) 2600/2700k
lumens kind of irrelevant (but not entirely)

make sure you buy dimmable LEDs if you need them, also as a rough guide divide the halogen wattage by 10 to get the watteg of the LED you will need IE 50w halogen = 5w LED
also check the size (probably need to read reviews for this) some LEDs are a lot bigger than halogens and if the bulb is a snug fit the LED may not fit in it's place.
also don't buy the older design LED bulbs with 20 or so yellow surface mount LEDs on them, get the newer style with between 1 and 3 LEDs on them, they are apparently much better.

All I have managed to buy myself so far was a GE LED 2nd hand off the bay for £6.50 to try it out, they are about £18+ when new and it buzzes quite noticeabley although I only noticed last night when I was messing with the light fixture so had my head quite close to it.

LED bulb n00b here!

Those are cool white LEDs in my kitchen cieling.
In my hallway upstairs I have warm white LEDs which are much less hospitally :p.

Got a pic dude?
This photo shows my warm white LEDs in my upstairs hallway. Whilst these are not as warm as halogens they are not a million miles away. I still have halogens in my bathroom. The tiles in there are quite nice but my phone camera has made them look a hideous colour!

I agree that my white ones are very white, but it does brighten up the kitchen. I think they would work in a bathroom too, but certainly not a living room.

Soldato
How did you mange to hide the wiring can you post some pictures?
He fitted it to a newly built staircase.

I'm really interested in this but am not sure how it would integrate into my existing stair case. Particularly the depth required for each light and the wire space.

Back
Top Bottom